Author Topic: Game 3 Starter and Nationals Ace, Max Scherzer pitches in relief in game 2  (Read 22562 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
With the Nationals needing to win game 2, they went with their ace and projected game 3 starter in the 8th inning last night of game 2 in the series.  Scherzer had an easy 1, 2, 3 inning.  The Nationals bullpen has been terrible and they nearly blew the game in the 9th, but the Nationals got the win.  Gutsy move putting Scherzer out there.  He still may start game 3, but if not would start game 4. 

Playoffs have been really strange and exciting overall thus far.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
With the Nationals needing to win game 2, they went with their ace and projected game 3 starter in the 8th inning last night of game 2 in the series.  Scherzer had an easy 1, 2, 3 inning.  The Nationals bullpen has been terrible and they nearly blew the game in the 9th, but the Nationals got the win.  Gutsy move putting Scherzer out there.  He still may start game 3, but if not would start game 4. 

Right out of 2018 Red Sox playbook.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!

Right out of 2018 Red Sox playbook.

Yep, and also the 2017 Astros in a few instances. But the 2018 Red Sox did this a lot, especially with Sale/Porcello/Eovaldi (using them in relief when they didn't start that night).

One thing I will say though, is that in this year's playoffs it seems a lot of starters are going deep into games, which is something we didn't see much of last October in general. Guys rarely went 6+ innings and yet so far in 2019 I think we've already seen 5 starters go 6+ innings, and a few go 7+.

In 2018 we saw bullpen days and some games where a starter went 3-4 innings and then another starter came in and threw multiple innings. Lot of wackiness but was also somewhat fun to watch. Lots of chess moves and strategy
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think in the World Series last year, Price started Game 2, came in relief in Game 3, threw but did not appear in Game 4, then started Game 5.

Then you had Sale coming in to close things out in Game 5 when he was scheduled to start Game 6.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I think it's generally a good idea.

In this case, Scherzer was supposed to throw a bullpen session, so 1 inning in a live game isn't much of a stretch beyond that.

Plus, I think managers are realizing that the current game is the most important, and you shouldn't worry about the next game until it's here. It's similar to using your best reliever in the highest-leverage situation, even if that's only the sixth inning—because if you're saving your closer until you have a lead in the 9th, you might never get that opportunity. Whatever needs to be done in the moment is what should be done. Let tomorrow worry about itself.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Sanchez and not Scherzer is starting game 3.  Scherzer will go in game 4.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
Tight Game 5 between Dodgers and Nationals. 9th inning, 3-3.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
Nationals stunned heavyweight Dodgers in LA 7-3, advances to NLCS to face St. Louis Cardinals.

Wow, what an upset.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Kershaw chokes again. Not a Hall of Famer in my book—not with as many playoffs debacles as he's had.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It is do or die time in the playoffs.

Re: Game 3 Starter and Nationals Ace, Max Scherzer pitches in relief in game 2
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 09:39:58 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Kershaw chokes again. Not a Hall of Famer in my book—not with as many playoffs debacles as he's had.

This is ridiculous.  He's going to be in the HOF. 

Ted Williams was 5/25 with 0 HR & 1 RBI in his only postseason appearance.  Should he be in the HOF based on this logic?

Kershaw might struggle in the playoffs but he's played at a HOF level for the bulk of his career. 

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 10:25:34 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'm glad the Nationals won. Sick of seeing the Dodgers in the postseason every year (not to mention, they keep getting eliminated in the World Series.)

Nats could do serious damage with a rotation of Scherzer/Strasburg/Corbin

How about the Rays taking the Astros to a game 5? Would've never expected that.

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 10:32:54 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm glad the Nationals won. Sick of seeing the Dodgers in the postseason every year (not to mention, they keep getting eliminated in the World Series.)

Nats could do serious damage with a rotation of Scherzer/Strasburg/Corbin

How about the Rays taking the Astros to a game 5? Would've never expected that.

Definitely gonna be pulling for the Nats over the Cards.  Despise that team. 

Ironic that the Nats finally make it this far after Harper skips town.

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2019, 11:49:40 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The MLB may have a very long regular season, which can make it difficult to keep up. However, there is no doubt in my mind, that they have the best postseason.

As far as Kershaw is concerned, he is a lock for the Hall of Fame. I blame the manager for the debacle last night. I don’t understand the mentality of suddenly changing how to use pitchers once the postseason arrives. Kershaw is a starter, so why bring him into a game for relief? Does he have a history of relieving, where he would prove to be better than an actual relief pitcher, particularly an 8th inning guy? And if the manager was so concerned about his bullpen, then why not bring in the closer, Jansen, to deal with the heart of the lineup in the 8th? Jansen has had 2 inning saves.

Definitely rooting for the Nationals going forward. I obviously hate the Yankees, so their out. I'm sick of the Cardinals. Will be rooting for Houston tonight, even though I can't stand them based on their arrogance. I would root for the Rays, but I don't think they have what it would take to beat the Yankees.

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2019, 12:15:44 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The MLB may have a very long regular season, which can make it difficult to keep up. However, there is no doubt in my mind, that they have the best postseason.

As far as Kershaw is concerned, he is a lock for the Hall of Fame. I blame the manager for the debacle last night. I don’t understand the mentality of suddenly changing how to use pitchers once the postseason arrives. Kershaw is a starter, so why bring him into a game for relief? Does he have a history of relieving, where he would prove to be better than an actual relief pitcher, particularly an 8th inning guy? And if the manager was so concerned about his bullpen, then why not bring in the closer, Jansen, to deal with the heart of the lineup in the 8th? Jansen has had 2 inning saves.

Definitely rooting for the Nationals going forward. I obviously hate the Yankees, so their out. I'm sick of the Cardinals. Will be rooting for Houston tonight, even though I can't stand them based on their arrogance. I would root for the Rays, but I don't think they have what it would take to beat the Yankees.

Kershaw has come in relief in each of the last four postseasons (under multiple managers).  Entering the 8th inning last night, he had given up 0 runs in six innings, allowing two walks and two hits with 8 strikeouts over those appearances.  Yes, it is not a role he does regularly, but it is something he had been very successful in prior to those home runs.