Author Topic: Dombrowski Fired  (Read 27592 times)

Dombrowski Fired
« on: September 09, 2019, 06:20:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I get the Red Sox season has been disappointing, but wow that is a short lease given the title just last year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Dombrowski Fired
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 06:28:55 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I'm guessing Alex Cora was furious that he stood pat at the DL (and got... Cashner) and complained upstairs..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 06:34:42 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm guessing Alex Cora was furious that he stood pat at the DL (and got... Cashner) and complained upstairs..

I think the season was lost the moment the team decided to come back with a downgraded roster. Letting Kelly and Kimbrel go, without upgrading elsewhere, sunk the team.

The entire pitching staff needs to look in the mirror as well.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 07:09:01 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 07:07:03 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
What have you done for me lately
Yup

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 08:30:39 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Such a Sox ownership move.  Fire the guy the same evening as the Pats banner-raising, season opener is going on.

Shall we expect the Globe smear campaign to commence in a day or two?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 10:27:27 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
His decision not to do anything abut the bullpen was indefensible. I get you just won a championship but if you ask anybody with even a passing knowledge of baseball whether it is okay to let your closer and set up man go and not replace them you would get some weird looks, because OF COURSE IT WILL END BADLY. Can't have the highest payroll in baseball and miss the playoffs in a 2 wildcard league. I mean Dombrowski's main contribution was moving prospects somebody else developed and spending a lot of somebody else's money.

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 11:02:24 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Besides the mistakes in personnel that he made this year, I wonder if this might be more about if Dombrowski's vision for moving forward didn't align with the ownership and manager. Perhaps what Dombrowski wanted to do moving forward is completely different than what ownership wants to do.

There are different ways to approach this coming season: complete blow up, partial blow up, bring it all back with a few important additions, bring it all back with a few important subtractions, etc.

Did Dombrowski want to let Martinez walk and trade Mookie to try to retool the farm? Or did he want to do the opposite and keep them both by signing them to ridiculous money? And did ownership want the opposite? Was Dombrowski going to blame the season on Cora and fire him but ownership disagreed?

Guess we will know soon enough after the season ends.

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 11:04:10 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Wow, a bit shocked to see this happen now. But, Dombrowski comes into an organization, guts the farm systems and goes for it all and won it all for us last year.  The plus is we won a Series....

But, having a team with this kind of talent and not having relief pitchers that can hold and close a game is inexcusable when you have so much money invested in winning now. We have blown saves in 28 games this year. That seems crazy. Cut that by half and we are in the WC now. We are not going to postseason due to our handling of the relief situation....plain and simple...this falls on the GM.

Who on Earth will replace him, that is the question? Our farm system is in shambles now and they will have some big decisions on big contracts fast approaching. It is also possible Dombrowski has conveyed a thought process about Mookie and maybe ownership has a different view on what to do with him. Nothing is ever black and white with this team though.

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 11:05:49 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Besides the mistakes in personnel that he made this year, I wonder if this might be more about if Dombrowski's vision for moving forward didn't align with the ownership and manager. Perhaps what Dombrowski wanted to do moving forward is completely different than what ownership wants to do.

There are different ways to approach this coming season: complete blow up, partial blow up, bring it all back with a few important additions, bring it all back with a few important subtractions, etc.

Did Dombrowski want to let Martinez walk and trade Mookie to try to retool the farm? Or did he want to do the opposite and keep them both by signing them to ridiculous money? And did ownership want the opposite? Was Dombrowski going to blame the season on Cora and fire him but ownership disagreed?

Guess we will know soon enough after the season ends.

Yes, I agree with that one hundred percent. It has to be the vision on how to handle Mookie and company. I am thinking ownership wants to keep him but who knows. It could be the opposite.

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 11:17:29 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Bad move. In 4 years under Dave's watch, the Sox won 3 consecutive division titles and a World Series.

I'd rather have an experienced and seasoned executive like him in charge rather than some rookie GM.

And to fire the guy less than a year after winning a World Series is a panic move and a move to paint him as the scapegoat.

Cora deserves just as much blame for some of his decisions like not having the team prepared for the beginning of the season and some of these stupid lineups he trots out like JD in right field and Sam Travis at DH when JD can't play RF and Travis can't hit.

Like others have stated, my guess is also this has to do with the long-term. Dave probably wanted to run the team a certain way that didn't align with what Henry wanted.

Now, my fear is we are going to see a couple of "bridge seasons" the next couple years.

Boy, do the Sox know how to screw up a good thing or what? This team has been a total roller coaster under Henry's ownership (for better or worse.)

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 11:31:00 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Bad move. In 4 years under Dave's watch, the Sox won 3 consecutive division titles and a World Series.

I'd rather have an experienced and seasoned executive like him in charge rather than some rookie GM.

And to fire the guy less than a year after winning a World Series is a panic move and a move to paint him as the scapegoat.

Cora deserves just as much blame for some of his decisions like not having the team prepared for the beginning of the season and some of these stupid lineups he trots out like JD in right field and Sam Travis at DH when JD can't play RF and Travis can't hit.

Like others have stated, my guess is also this has to do with the long-term. Dave probably wanted to run the team a certain way that didn't align with what Henry wanted.

Now, my fear is we are going to see a couple of "bridge seasons" the next couple years.

Boy, do the Sox know how to screw up a good thing or what? This team has been a total roller coaster under Henry's ownership (for better or worse.)
A roller coaster with 4 World Series titles, another trip to the ALCS, and many AL East titles. That's better than any other team in baseball over the last 15 years. I will take it.

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 11:33:35 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I’ll take it too. After 86 years drought it has been pretty awesome.

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 11:40:59 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Firing a guy less than a year after the team he constructed won the World Series is idiotic.

I know there's context here, but I think that's what this boils down to.  Stupid.

Dombrowski may not have been the right man for the job moving forward, but how are you going to find a capable replacement after you just sent the message that "No matter how successful the team is, if you have one bad year we'll fire you"?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 12:01:22 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Firing a guy less than a year after the team he constructed won the World Series is idiotic.

I know there's context here, but I think that's what this boils down to.  Stupid.

Dombrowski may not have been the right man for the job moving forward, but how are you going to find a capable replacement after you just sent the message that "No matter how successful the team is, if you have one bad year we'll fire you"?

Exactly. Where's the stability? After the Sox hire their new GM this offseason, it will be their 4th GM in the last 10 years.

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 02:21:13 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Such a Sox ownership move.  Fire the guy the same evening as the Pats banner-raising, season opener is going on.

Shall we expect the Globe smear campaign to commence in a day or two?
Probably two, they'll want to run mostly Pats articles for a bit I'd imagine.

Let the dirt flow during the mid-week lull.