Author Topic: No MVP Poll for the losses?  (Read 5561 times)

No MVP Poll for the losses?
« on: January 02, 2009, 04:06:56 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I know it's counterintuitive to pick an MVP after a disappointing loss... but there's always been a poll after losses in the past, and it kinda makes the YTD numbers less meaningful if some games weren't included.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: No MVP Poll for the losses?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 04:16:11 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I know it's counterintuitive to pick an MVP after a disappointing loss... but there's always been a poll after losses in the past, and it kinda makes the YTD numbers less meaningful if some games weren't included.

The only feedback (in the way of making changes) I received from last year's polls was that the there shouldn't be a poll after losses.  Up until lately it hasn't made much difference.

I found there was little to no interest anyhow in the polls after a loss.

But yeh, that's the plan for this season. 

I also found that there was little to no feedback for the season end results anyhow.  Basically, I find them interesting so I've kept up with them for that reason, but there was nary one response when I posted the final results showing Paul Pierce as last year's MVP (not KG as may have been the common conception).

I sort of took that as a tree falling in the woods for the year end results.

One other factor for there being no MVP Poll for losing games is that it simply gives me a break when I'm not feeling very inspired to put up a poll after a bummer loss.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 04:42:03 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Maybe we should have a most instrumental loser poll, and pick some scape goats for that nights loss.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 07:40:44 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Maybe we should have a most instrumental loser poll, and pick some scape goats for that nights loss.

That was my 2nd suggestion. 

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 08:10:10 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.

The only feedback (in the way of making changes) I received from last year's polls was that the there shouldn't be a poll after losses.  Up until lately it hasn't made much difference.

I found there was little to no interest anyhow in the polls after a loss.

But yeh, that's the plan for this season. 

I also found that there was little to no feedback for the season end results anyhow.  Basically, I find them interesting so I've kept up with them for that reason, but there was nary one response when I posted the final results showing Paul Pierce as last year's MVP (not KG as may have been the common conception).

I sort of took that as a tree falling in the woods for the year end results.

One other factor for there being no MVP Poll for losing games is that it simply gives me a break when I'm not feeling very inspired to put up a poll after a bummer loss.

Fair enough, no complaints from me then.  Not going to fuss about it when I know you're working hard on them.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 09:42:49 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
hmmmm...maybe it's time to reconsider

not a whole lot of polls lately  :(
Yup

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 09:44:46 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
where is that report card thread this morning? :)