Author Topic: I'm done with Rondo  (Read 18730 times)

Re: I'm done with Rondo
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2009, 07:58:05 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'm not done with him but he needs to start playing like a 10 million dollar player.

He isn't a 10 million dollar player.

Question:
Do you think KG is playing like a $16m player right now? Or that Ray is playing like a $19m guy?

Point is, not a lot of our guys are playing consistent right now and playing up to their worth. But for some reason, Rondo is always the easy target.

When things go wrong, he gets 90% - 100% of the blame. Yes, his play leaves much to be desired sometimes, but he's just part of the overall problem right now, not THE problem.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 09:49:43 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2009, 09:00:03 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I think the problem many people have that pushes them to extreme comments, and yes often very negative ones, is the REASON that Rondo is struggling. It is his lack of EFFORT that is the problem and it doesn't matter what point of the season we are in, what the rest of the team is doing, or how many games we have won or lost at this point. It adds extra insult when he was just given a 5 yr 55 milliion dollar contact based on potential. I seem to recall a certain Mark Blount who was rewarded with a bigger than deserved contract based on upside that really blew up in our face. Rondo has additional skills on the offensive side of the ball that will likely never give him a label like Blount, however the feeling is the same.

Effort should NEVER be the reason that a player is struggling. No one can say that any other Celtic on that floor is struggling because he isn't giving it 100%. Not KG, not Ray, not even Sheed whose face doesn't always appear he is giving full effort. Defensively, and often when he refuses to attack on offense like he should, Rondo is not giving 100%. For that people have every right to be upset and negative.

« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2009, 09:39:52 PM »

Offline pengaloo

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 76
I think the problem many people have that pushes them to extreme comments, and yes often very negative ones, is the REASON that Rondo is struggling. It is his lack of EFFORT that is the problem and it doesn't matter what point of the season we are in, what the rest of the team is doing, or how many games we have won or lost at this point. It adds extra insult when he was just given a 5 yr 55 milliion dollar contact based on potential. I seem to recall a certain Mark Blount who was rewarded with a bigger than deserved contract based on upside that really blew up in our face. Rondo has additional skills on the offensive side of the ball that will likely never give him a label like Blount, however the feeling is the same.

Effort should NEVER be the reason that a player is struggling. No one can say that any other Celtic on that floor is struggling because he isn't giving it 100%. Not KG, not Ray, not even Sheed whose face doesn't always appear he is giving full effort. Defensively, and often when he refuses to attack on offense like he should, Rondo is not giving 100%. For that people have every right to be upset and negative.
But how do we know that the reason why Rondo is struggling is due to lack of effort? And how do we know that every Celtic other than Rondo is giving 100% every time? Isn't that a rather odd assumption to make?

« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2009, 09:45:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

But how do we know that the reason why Rondo is struggling is due to lack of effort? And how do we know that every Celtic other than Rondo is giving 100% every time? Isn't that a rather odd assumption to make?

I talked to Rajon the other day. He was actually pretty concerned with this thread. Wanted everyone to know he is definitely trying 100%  :P

« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

No doubt because other people on the blog say it. These things take on a life of their own.

« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2009, 11:09:43 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

No doubt because other people on the blog say it. These things take on a life of their own.

I think this is true.  And honestly, I think there might be some misunderstandings as well.  I know I often call things Rondo does lazy, but I don't think its really that much because of lack of effort.  I think he is a lazy defender, and does some lazy things on offense, but I think they are really just bad habits. 

For example, I would describe his man to man defense as lazy, because he plays it standing up, or on his heals, and does not break down in front of his man nearly enough.  But I don't think its really a lack of effort, I think he just has a nasty habit of doing that. 

« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2009, 11:23:18 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I think this is true.  And honestly, I think there might be some misunderstandings as well.  I know I often call things Rondo does lazy, but I don't think its really that much because of lack of effort.  I think he is a lazy defender, and does some lazy things on offense, but I think they are really just bad habits. 

For example, I would describe his man to man defense as lazy, because he plays it standing up, or on his heals, and does not break down in front of his man nearly enough.  But I don't think its really a lack of effort, I think he just has a nasty habit of doing that. 
Yeah Rondo has some bad defensive habits, personally I think Rondo has the toughest job on the team.

He has to feed all the egos of a very veteran team, he has to key the defense off with ball pressure, he has to run the break as he's the only C in the starting 5 who can really jet down the floor and handle, and he also has to get the team into its sets.

That is a lot for any player, much less a very young one. I think a lot of his "effort" issues come from trying to manage his energy levels and focus on all those things.

« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2009, 11:34:42 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
rip me if you all want to, but it sucks around here!

Not to single you out in particular, d_l, but I'm getting as frustrated with the "Celticsblog sucks" posts as I am with the negativity.  If people are upset with a perceived negative vibe, I would assume the best way to address this would be with positive posts.  However, very few of the posters calling for positivity are, in fact, starting positive threads or responding to negativity by giving their own positive viewpoint.  Rather, there's a lot of criticizing of fellow posters, which is rarely productive and always frowned upon.

as i said to your peer, IP.....

not being negative, calling a spade a spade

i think it sucks around here lately, so i i expressed my thoughts.  if people want to criticize the team and break down their reasons for doing so, great, its their right and it brings something to the table.  but look at the original post for this thread......to paraphrase it, "rondo sucks and im done with him".  to me thats the garbage im referring to bc it brings nothing to the table. 

at the end of the day, i always have and always will, call it the way i see it/interpret it.  if people dont like it, oh well, they will have to deal with it and they have the right to call me out and/or label me. 

Well, in that case, I will call it as I see it as well.  I think you are coming across as an elitist jerk.  I am sure you are not trying to, but that is the way it comes across to someone like me, who has felt the need to vent on this site about how disapointed I have been in the C's this year.  And honestly, attitudes like that do nothing to improve the overall quality of posts on this site, so I recommend you cut it out.

you have ur opinion.  im not breaking any rules here, just expressing my opinion, same as you are (except without the condescending labeling...."elitist jerk".  im surprised a mod would post that in a public forum, especially without first reaching out in a pm if i was coming off that way and it was that much of a big deal :-\). 

its whatever.  i wont participate in this thread further in order to avoid any issues

No one said you were breaking rules. But the constant chiming in with "Celticsblog sucks right now" is worse than the negative "This team sucks/can't win/is too old".

Especially when you're not responding to those posters who do raise valid points to worry about with this team. You're just responding to the sky is falling posts. Its an internet forum, you'll always get over reactions to every event. Just check out the game threads!

Its real easy to get sucked into a bad mood and constantly grumble when things aren't going well. Complaining about the complainers just makes it worse!

But name-calling is breaking the rules, unless I've missed some exclusion. Not to take sides here, but whatever DL said, it was not anything of violation, whereas I think it's safe to say that "elitist jerk" is certainly name-calling, and not the best of examples to set. From the first paragraph of Posting Rules:

At all times:

Respect each other at all times. There is no need for name-calling or harassment of any poster. This includes behavior in all areas of Celticsblog, including forum posts, blog comments and personal messages. While we encourage lively debate there is no reason for anyone to disrespect a fellow poster's ideas.

I think even heated discussion can be done while still respecting one another's right to express their feelings, without resorting to belittling someone with labels. Can't we all just get along? ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2009, 11:39:40 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
rip me if you all want to, but it sucks around here!

Not to single you out in particular, d_l, but I'm getting as frustrated with the "Celticsblog sucks" posts as I am with the negativity.  If people are upset with a perceived negative vibe, I would assume the best way to address this would be with positive posts.  However, very few of the posters calling for positivity are, in fact, starting positive threads or responding to negativity by giving their own positive viewpoint.  Rather, there's a lot of criticizing of fellow posters, which is rarely productive and always frowned upon.

as i said to your peer, IP.....

not being negative, calling a spade a spade

i think it sucks around here lately, so i i expressed my thoughts.  if people want to criticize the team and break down their reasons for doing so, great, its their right and it brings something to the table.  but look at the original post for this thread......to paraphrase it, "rondo sucks and im done with him".  to me thats the garbage im referring to bc it brings nothing to the table. 

at the end of the day, i always have and always will, call it the way i see it/interpret it.  if people dont like it, oh well, they will have to deal with it and they have the right to call me out and/or label me. 

Well, in that case, I will call it as I see it as well.  I think you are coming across as an elitist jerk.  I am sure you are not trying to, but that is the way it comes across to someone like me, who has felt the need to vent on this site about how disapointed I have been in the C's this year.  And honestly, attitudes like that do nothing to improve the overall quality of posts on this site, so I recommend you cut it out.

you have ur opinion.  im not breaking any rules here, just expressing my opinion, same as you are (except without the condescending labeling...."elitist jerk".  im surprised a mod would post that in a public forum, especially without first reaching out in a pm if i was coming off that way and it was that much of a big deal :-\). 

its whatever.  i wont participate in this thread further in order to avoid any issues

No one said you were breaking rules. But the constant chiming in with "Celticsblog sucks right now" is worse than the negative "This team sucks/can't win/is too old".

Especially when you're not responding to those posters who do raise valid points to worry about with this team. You're just responding to the sky is falling posts. Its an internet forum, you'll always get over reactions to every event. Just check out the game threads!

Its real easy to get sucked into a bad mood and constantly grumble when things aren't going well. Complaining about the complainers just makes it worse!

But name-calling is breaking the rules, unless I've missed some exclusion. Not to take sides here, but whatever DL said, it was not anything of violation, whereas I think it's safe to say that "elitist jerk" is certainly name-calling, and not the best of examples to set. From the first paragraph of Posting Rules:

At all times:

Respect each other at all times. There is no need for name-calling or harassment of any poster. This includes behavior in all areas of Celticsblog, including forum posts, blog comments and personal messages. While we encourage lively debate there is no reason for anyone to disrespect a fellow poster's ideas.

I think even heated discussion can be done while still respecting one another's right to express their feelings, without resorting to belittling someone with labels. Can't we all just get along? ;)
You are taking sides, don't pretend your not. But if you feel rules are broken then contact the staff about it via PM or report function, not public forum. Frankly further discussion of this should be done via that to avoid completely sidetracking this thread.

« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2009, 11:58:26 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
LOL@the people saying this team is disappointing. Guys, in case you haven't notice, we're a half game back from 1st place. Not even 20 games in, yet. Chill.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2009, 12:00:12 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
LOL@the people saying this team is disappointing. Guys, in case you haven't notice, we're a half game back from 1st place. Not even 20 games in, yet. Chill.
A lot of the blog seemed to think this team would be similar to the 2007-2008 Celtics. Dominant from start to finish of the regular season, but the last 8 games of average play has freaked a lot of them out.

*shrug* I just want the team to come out of their shooting slump.

« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2009, 03:30:18 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
A lot of the blog seemed to think this team would be similar to the 2007-2008 Celtics. Dominant from start to finish of the regular season, but the last 8 games of average play has freaked a lot of them out.

and I just want KG to start playing defense like KG for a whole game.

"a brain...a heart...the nerve..."

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2009, 08:28:49 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
the negativity around this place absolutely sux lately.  the team is in a slump and people are acting as if it is all or nothing.  its ok to be critical, but people around here are making irrational posts, like it is life or death with each game.  not to mention the team playing less than 15 games this season.  rip me if you all want to, but it sucks around here!

It's par for the course anytime the C's appear to struggle (11-4).  Remember when they lost something like 7 of 9 and 6 in row at 1 point in 07/08.  Most Boston fans in general are much more vocal when the C's are losing.  I normally take breaks from this site during those times for my own sanity. When they go on winning streaks this place becomes a morgue.  Posts counts go way down.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 10:48:07 AM by Birdbrain »
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2009, 08:33:31 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..

They are #3 in the league with 48% shooting.  If KG has his strength back by March the C's will be very good shape heading into the playoffs.  It's a long season and a lot of teams will go through their own issues. I'm just hoping for a full roster come playoff time.

BBD will be coming back soon to save the C's...
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2009, 09:11:37 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

I have watched EVERY minute of Rondo's career and don't need "others" telling me that is the case to know Rondo is not giving 100% when he plays lazy defense. Even some on here trying to rebutt my comment and support Rondo are saying he is playing lazy defense but that effort isn't the reason. That is absurd. He has played basketball now for what, 18+ years?! The FIRST thing every coach teaches at 5 years old on defense is getting down into defensive position and staying between your man and the basket. Rondo CHOOSES to not give the effort to play defense how he is physically capable. That is effort. Just like Blount CHOSE to play every now and then. Just like he magically turned into this amazing center every time he lined up against the Celtics for years after that.

People are upset that Rondo is capable of playing great defense but instead takes the easy way out. Defending him only looks like you're his agent or mother not willing to accept reality. Sadly none of you actually believe he is giving his all. It's more important for you to try and prove your side of the argument even if you have to be disingenuous to do it.