Author Topic: I'm done with Rondo  (Read 18729 times)

Re: I'm done with Rondo
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2009, 12:27:16 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

This is a temporary funk, and I'm honestly not very worried about it ... they'll do what they need to and be back on top very soon. (TP)

That's your opinion though.  There are a lot of people on here who clearly feel (or at least fear) that it is not the case, and want to discuss that.  I don't see how complaining about people having a different opinion than you helps anything.

Isn't that what a blog is about ... stating our opinions and discussing our differences? Of course people are entitled to their negative opinions, but so am I entitled to my opinion that there's too much negativity, and a need for more optimism. That's what most of the people in this thread are saying: "Let's be more positive and balance all this negativity out" ... I would think such a viewpoint would be welcomed, as a good discussion takes views from both sides.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2009, 12:28:53 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!

This is a temporary funk, and I'm honestly not very worried about it ... they'll do what they need to and be back on top very soon. (TP)

That's your opinion though.  There are a lot of people on here who clearly feel (or at least fear) that it is not the case, and want to discuss that.  I don't see how complaining about people having a different opinion than you helps anything.

Isn't that what a blog is about ... stating our opinions and discussing our differences? Of course people are entitled to their negative opinions, but so am I entitled to my opinion that there's too much negativity, and a need for more optimism. That's what most of the people in this thread are saying: "Let's be more positive and balance all this negativity out" ... I would think such a viewpoint would be welcomed, as a good discussion takes views from both sides.

Well said. TP.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2009, 12:31:56 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!

but even though they're not playing great, they're still winning. If you didn't know the Celt's record and just came to this board, you'd think it was 06-07 again and we were back in the middle of the 24 game losing streak.

Its one thing to be concerned and discuss it, but people are acting like the ship is sinking fast so they need to jump off...

Ummm, no, it was completely different in 06-07.  It wasn't all negative like it is now.  Right now, the majority of things I see here are people looking for ways to fix this team that is floundering, and playing below their potention.  In 06-07, after the first 7 or 8 losses, everyone had moved on, and was more focussed on tanking for the draft than anything else.  The overall mood was completely different.

I think you're misunderstand my point. I wasn't talking about this specific board during that time. I meant the general mood of the fans. People seem ready to give up on the team, and its only 15 games in, and we have a decent record. Hope isn't lost for this group of guys. Patience is a virtue.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2009, 12:33:35 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
the negativity around this place absolutely sux lately.  the team is in a slump and people are acting as if it is all or nothing.  its ok to be critical, but people around here are making irrational posts, like it is life or death with each game.  not to mention the team playing less than 15 games this season.  rip me if you all want to, but it sucks around here!

TP4U, im actually very close to taking a hiatus from the blog. The outright negativity and viciousness against everyone even when we win is a big let down.

Every time i visit, the forums are exactly like they are now, 6 bash topics, and the one positive topic " I got a feeling" is being invaded as well.

People are of course entitled to criticize and the team is not playing anything approaching championship basketball, but there's no discussion going on right now, only ripping down and negativity.

Frankly it's getting to be a chore rather than fun to check the forums. I come by to see what my friends are saying, but for every one of those posts there's 20 "OMG this team sucks, trade everyone!" posts.

Haha isn't that what being a sports fan is all about, ripping on your favorite team when their down and claiming you always believed when they are up?  ;)

I guess for some it is.

For me, it's about supporting your team and actually analyzing why they aren't playing well, which some, including some of the more reasoned posters in this thread are doing.

But judging by the threads and ridiculous posts coming out on the blog lately, apparently for most it's about ripping your own team and making up crazy trade scenarios, along with some "we have no chance, this team is worthless" posts thrown in.

I kind of take offense to this.  This is kind of a "real fan" post, and those drive me nuts.  Everyone here is a real fan, and always support their team.  But at the same time, we sometimes look for solutions to percieved problems, or just need a place to vent about them playing so far below their potential.  To me, this site (or any forum like it) is not just about "supporting" your team, it is about discussing the team you love (or hate) with other fans, to share our opinions.  

It's not a "real fan" post, it's a post saying MY personal opinion, that posts like the one that led off this topic, or posts such as the one in the "ive got a feeling" thread ripping people for having a positive outlook after the win add nothing to a discussion of this team and their current shortcomings, and they personally annoy me. When i'm annoyed, i don't have as much fun checking the blog. What is so awful about saying that?

I don;t see how that jumps to some sort of elitist post. If my opinion of the quality of certain negative posts with no content to them makes me some sort of "elitist fan" in your eyes, i'm sorry to hear that.

I said right off that it was my personal opinion, that alot of the posts in this thread and others are well thought out, and that I appreciate analysis of how the team is playing, which is clearly not well at all.

We have issues that need addressing, from our defensive rotations, our awful rebounding and  our tendency to become timid and start shooting to many jump shots when we aren't having success in the post, just to name a few.

But if you expect me to act like some of the posts that have popped up in the last 2 weeks are worth a [dang], i'm not going to do it chris.

There's nothing wrong with posting ANYTHING you want, but there's also nothing wrong with me pointing out that in my personal opinion, posts that lead off with rants about how terrible we are with no analysis of problems whatsoever are worthless to me, and annoying.

I like to think i'm pretty objective, and in no way, shape or form did i say every post about how the teams not playing well annoys me, since they are spot on. We defiantly are not.

but im not going to pretend posts like the opening one in this thread that has no analysis beyond "rondo sucks" are anything I get enjoyment or knowledge out of, i'm sorry to disappoint you. Those annoy me, and they add nothing to a conversation for me.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 12:52:06 AM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2009, 12:51:18 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Very good discussions here from both sides as far as Rondo.

Rondo causes me to scratch my head from time to time, as well.

I wonder if the other top PGs in the league (CP3, D Will, Devin Harris, Arenas) play at full speed all 48 min?

In placing these PGs side by side with Rondo as far as productivity, I'd be willing to bet my big toe that he is right there with them, IMO.

People here can say what they want about Rondo. This is a good discussion. My belief is that there are some pretty intelligent minds here on this blog that really know how a PG is suppose to play.

Most of my analysis of Rondo is from a Big Man's perspective since I have played that way during my life. I know little about distributing the ball and setting up my teammates.

My coaches told me to rebound, block shots, box out, play my role, etc.

If someone asked me to play PG tomorrow for my neighborhood team I'd be lost.

My point is that this is a long season....all that matters to me is that Rondo is ready to battle LA in June. And I know he will be.

« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2009, 01:03:00 AM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?playerId=3026

Rondo's game log -

He is clearly struggling with his FT's - 33% ouch....

Steals to TO ratio is greater than One - Excellent
FG% - Very Good  

The defensive intensity seems to be there most of the time.

He does get caught with his feet in the air and locks himself into a bad play too much.

Compare to Chris Paul:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?playerId=2779

This guy puts up incredible MVP numbers on a suspect team. Where would New Orleans be with out Chris Paul?

16-26 from 3 P line
33-39 FTs
23.8 PPG (including a 3 point game where he was injured)

Compare to Mo Williams:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?playerId=2178

Better scorer and shooter than Rondo - but not as good as Paul.
Steals to TO Ratio is weak

I would say Rondo is a Top 10 NBA PG who needs to improve his shooting. He could move up or he could plateau. I sincerely think it is too premature to write off Rondo.  

Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2009, 01:33:23 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?playerId=3026

Rondo's game log -

He is clearly struggling with his FT's - 33% ouch....

Steals to TO ratio is greater than One - Excellent
FG% - Very Good  

The defensive intensity seems to be there most of the time.

He does get caught with his feet in the air and locks himself into a bad play too much.

Compare to Chris Paul:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?playerId=2779

This guy puts up incredible MVP numbers on a suspect team. Where would New Orleans be with out Chris Paul?

16-26 from 3 P line
33-39 FTs
23.8 PPG (including a 3 point game where he was injured)

Compare to Mo Williams:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?playerId=2178

Better scorer and shooter than Rondo - but not as good as Paul.
Steals to TO Ratio is weak

I would say Rondo is a Top 10 NBA PG who needs to improve his shooting. He could move up or he could plateau. I sincerely think it is too premature to write off Rondo.  

Good Post.

I believe Rondo will improve as the season goes on. I believe he can be VERY disruptive against LA, just like last two seasons. I had a discussion with a Laker fan a few weeks ago and he stated that he believed that our only clear-cut advantage we had over them was Rondo (over Fisher or Shannon Brown). He did not even mention any of the other PGs in the League.

To me that says a lot. I'll take any advantage I can get. As long as the Lakers don't surpass our Celtics in Championships in my lifetime I am happy as a pig in slop. ;D

And the Celtics are built to do just that, at least for this season and next.

« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2009, 02:29:26 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

See, that looks like an attempt to manipulate the emotions of these people (and I include myself here), even if thatīs not your intention (and I donīt think it is).

When the pessimists predict we canīt win it all with our current play, the other side says "Itīs way too early in the season to tell".

So the first party argues "But they play terrible", which is just stating the obvious, imo. And the optimists say "Weīre 11-4, why do people complain?". Isnīt it just as wrong to judge our team by their record, this early in the season?

People who have a negative opinion about the state of this team can be called "whiney" and it rains TPs. Maybe some of the optimists should accept that not every negative post comes from a bad fan, but from a concerned fan.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 02:35:34 AM by Casperian »
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2009, 02:37:50 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

See, that looks like an attempt to manipulate the emotions of these people (and I include myself here), even if thatīs not your intention (and I donīt think it is).

When people predict we canīt win it all with our current play, the other side says "Itīs way too early in the season to tell".

So the first party argues "But they play terrible", which is just stating the obvious, imo. And the optimists say "Weīre 11-4, why do people complain?".

People who have a negative opinion about the state of this team can be called "whiney" and it rains TPs. Maybe some of the optimists should accept that not every negative post comes from a bad fan, but from a concerned fan.

Sorry, but I take exception ... NOWHERE did I say being negative makes a "bad" fan, nor would I EVER ... I merely stated that there are people here on both sides, and that EACH side is entitled to their opinion. I also NEVER used the word "whiney" or any derogatory terms to describe those who are critical or love to talk about trades, I merely said that I didn't like seeing so many negative and "trade" threads ... that's my opinion, like others have their opinion to be negative. There are ALWAYS two sides to a discussion, and that's what a blog is about ... you may disagree with what I said, and you're entitled to, but please don't put words in my mouth.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2009, 02:42:30 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen

When people predict we canīt win it all with our current play, the other side says "Itīs way too early in the season to tell".

So the first party argues "But they play terrible", which is just stating the obvious, imo. And the optimists say "Weīre 11-4, why do people complain?".

Sorry, but I take exception ... NOWHERE did I say being negative makes a "bad" fan, nor would I EVER ... I merely stated that there are people here on both

sides, and that EACH side is entitled to their opinion. I also NEVER used the word "whiney" or any derogatory terms to describe those who are critical or love to talk about trades, I merely said that I didn't like seeing so many negative and "trade" threads ... that's my opinion, like others have their opinion to be negative. There are ALWAYS two sides to a discussion, and that's what a blog is about ... you may disagree with what I said, and you're entitled to, but please don't put words in my mouth.

I didnīt mean you specifically. I think I clearly spoke about "some members of parties".
Only the first paragraph was directed at you personally.

Iīm sorry if you feel attacked.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2009, 02:49:36 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Sorry, but I take exception ... NOWHERE did I say being negative makes a "bad" fan, nor would I EVER ... I merely stated that there are people here on both

sides, and that EACH side is entitled to their opinion. I also NEVER used the word "whiney" or any derogatory terms to describe those who are critical or love to talk about trades, I merely said that I didn't like seeing so many negative and "trade" threads ... that's my opinion, like others have their opinion to be negative. There are ALWAYS two sides to a discussion, and that's what a blog is about ... you may disagree with what I said, and you're entitled to, but please don't put words in my mouth.

I didnīt mean you secifically. I clearly spoke about "some members of parties".
Only the first paragraph was direct at you personally.

Iīm sorry if you feel attacked.

Not at all, I just assumed such because mine was the last quote you used, and that usually infers that  that's the person you're addressing ... forgive my assumption. I've just seen soooooooooo much negative lately, and I frankly think a little positivity is needed, (as well as feeling it's necessary to have a balance, if possible). I think most of the optimists on this thread are just as concerned, (speaking for myself also), and that it's that very concern that motivates us to be more positive. We're all in the same boat, just coming from different directions, and hoping our beloved Celtics will turn this around. Good discussion, though ... TP, Casperian.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2009, 02:57:08 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I'm not done with him but he needs to start playing like a 10 million dollar player.

He isn't a 10 million dollar player.

« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2009, 02:57:44 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
Not at all, I just assumed such because mine was the last quote you used, and that usually infers that  that's the person you're addressing ... forgive my assumption. I've just seen soooooooooo much negative lately, and I frankly think a little positivity is needed, (as well as feeling it's necessary to have a balance, if possible). I think most of the optimists on this thread are just as concerned, (speaking for myself also), and that it's that very concern that motivates us to be more positive. We're all in the same boat, just coming from different directions, and hoping our beloved Celtics will turn this around. Good discussion, though ... TP, Casperian.

Back at you.
I think there is just as much hope on side of the pessimists as there is concern on the side of the optimists.

All the pessimists need is to be convinced, and no argument, only the team is able to do that.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2009, 03:00:29 AM »

Offline chief3233

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 8
  • Bleed Green
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI3vIFWC8tc

Here is something to make us back off on "being done with Rondo."
"The emblem of a warrior, it's the swagger of an athlete, a champion and dynasty, it's gifted, golden, genuine and glorious. It is a lower-case god. It's the goat. The greatest of all time. What's G? It is the heart, hustle and soul of the game."

« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2009, 04:27:52 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
10 minutes ago I was asking myself what the hell is wrong with rondo. Is he sick? Is he hurt? Did he just break up with his girl? Or is he just being lazy? On defense it looked like he was just letting people go by him and on offense he was no where to be seen.

The past 5 minutes have been pretty impressive though as he has picked it up, so I'm not sure what to think

See above post.

He's 23 with a very special, very unique game. That's all there is to know about Rondo.

That's the frustrating part. We all know what he is capable of. He could be an elite pg, but he needs to stop showing only flashes of brilliance. Show it ALL game!

It would also benefit the team greatly if Paul or Ray or KG could be brilliant the whole game. Unfortunately it rarely happens.