Author Topic: Tony Allen Might Play Tonight?  (Read 4369 times)

Tony Allen Might Play Tonight?
« on: November 25, 2009, 12:39:09 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Tony Allen is nearing his season debut after undergoing ankle surgery in the summer. Rivers said Allen might play tonight against the Sixers, though they could hold him out until a four-game road trip begins on Sunday. "Tony looked good today," said Rivers. "I think with him, it's going to be a confidence thing. (Monday), I didn't think he looked good. Today, he looked terrific. He was exploding to the basket." ...

Hmmmmmm. Are we ready for Tony Allen? We could use a lil more energy out there, that's for certain.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Tony Allen Might Play Tonight?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 12:41:41 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Tony Allen is nearing his season debut after undergoing ankle surgery in the summer. Rivers said Allen might play tonight against the Sixers, though they could hold him out until a four-game road trip begins on Sunday. "Tony looked good today," said Rivers. "I think with him, it's going to be a confidence thing. (Monday), I didn't think he looked good. Today, he looked terrific. He was exploding to the basket." ...

Hmmmmmm. Are we ready for Tony Allen? We could use a lil more energy out there, that's for certain.
Puts on his Roy Hobbs hat:

No.

My opinion, yeah we could use a spark.

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 12:47:45 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

No.

It seems as though whenever there are interviews with individual Celtics players, they always say how they miss Tony and hopefully he will be back soon, like he is part of the rotation or something. That always baffles me.

The only way he makes into the rotation is to showcase him to other teams. Tony hasn't been a productive player for years. There is definitely the pre-knee injury Tony and the post-knee injury Tony...and it's really too bad. Can he rejuvenate his career? Possibly, but not with the Celtics...

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 01:04:28 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
TA playing time = less Marquis Daniels playing time = worse second unit.

TA playing time = less Eddie House playing time = worse second unit.

Forget the showcasing and leave this bum on the bench where he belongs. Maybe someone will forget how bad he was out there and take him in a package deal at the trade deadline.

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 01:13:53 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
TA brings energy from this team.

And i don't think it'll bring minutes away from Marquis, i think we can do good with a House, TA, Daniels lineup.

TA's back with something to prove.

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 01:14:21 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32

Forget the showcasing and leave this bum on the bench where he belongs. Maybe someone will forget how bad he was out there and take him in a package deal at the trade deadline.

I hate posts like these.

"Ok, let's bench him  for the season but maybe try to package him at the trade deadline."

If TA won't be played, what makes you think he can be put in a trade package that would bring back ANYONE worthwhile? As far as I'm concerned, if you're willing to bench TA, you're willing to do a trade that doesn't involve him.

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 01:22:15 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
All of the salmon and mashed potatoes in the Boston area had better watch out.  It's pre-game meal time!  ;)

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 01:26:05 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I'm not against seeing Tony play. I just hope he doesn't rush his comeback once again... but it would be nice if he revealed to be productive and meaningful with the 2nd unit. Our hopes have been disappointed many times and I still give him a chance because... well, it's been a long time since we've seen him play, so who knows? ;D

I will definitely look to his contribution. He could be a spark that could help us, sure, but I don't think he will it will be the case.

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 01:29:07 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
[dang], this will make us worse.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 01:36:50 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2409
Yup, it probably makes the C's worse on a whole. He'll have the odd good game where he's a brilliant spark but TA won't be able to sustain it.

I'm looking forward to seeing him back on the court though. I've always liked TA.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 01:54:03 PM by Who »

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 01:45:12 PM »

Offline SalmonAndMashedPotatoes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 119

No.

It seems as though whenever there are interviews with individual Celtics players, they always say how they miss Tony and hopefully he will be back soon, like he is part of the rotation or something. That always baffles me.

The only way he makes into the rotation is to showcase him to other teams. Tony hasn't been a productive player for years. There is definitely the pre-knee injury Tony and the post-knee injury Tony...and it's really too bad. Can he rejuvenate his career? Possibly, but not with the Celtics...

People forget, or chose not to remember, but TA was the bench's most productive player last season until he hurt his ankle on December 1st.

Check out his stats up to that point (18 games):

9 points, 49.6% shooting, 2.2 rebounds, 1.2 steals, 1.1 assists, 2.8 FTAs, 1.3 TOs, .61 blocks, in about 20 minutes a game.

For comparison's sake, here are Daniels #s right now (14 games):

6.3 points, 50.8% shooting, 2 rebounds, .85 steals, 2.2 assists, 1.7 FTAs, .77 TOs, .00 blocks, in almost 21 minutes a game.

And here are Rasheed's # right now (14 games):

8.9 points, 36.7% shooting, 4.1 rebounds, 1.2 steals, 1 assist, .79 FTAs, .79 TOs, .64 blocks, in 21.5 minutes a game.

Fact is, TA's been an above-average NBA player throughout his career and he represents a huge step up from JR Giddens, the player he's most likely to replace on the roster. 

I'm glad Tony's ready to play again--he can't do anything but help at this point. He's one of the few players on this roster than can create his own shot and defend the perimeter.  He could really thrive on the 2nd unit now that Daniels has taken over the majority of the ball handling responsibilities.
Folly. Persist.

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 01:50:02 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

I hate posts like these.

"Ok, let's bench him  for the season but maybe try to package him at the trade deadline."

If TA won't be played, what makes you think he can be put in a trade package that would bring back ANYONE worthwhile? As far as I'm concerned, if you're willing to bench TA, you're willing to do a trade that doesn't involve him.

You don't actually have to respond to them if you hate posts like these...

TA on the floor makes everyone realize why they DON'T want to trade for TA. He doesn't add to his value by being out there proving he has the basketball IQ of a 5 year old. There is a reason abslolutely NO ONE offered the guy a contract in the offseason in Free Agency. Only WE were desperate enough to do so. I think that had we known we'd have both Eddie and Marquis we wouldn't have done it either.

We want people to forget about TA and only take him to make the numbers work. If they have footage of him out there this year being his usual inconsistent dumb self it will only make them think harder about not doing the deal. Only certain C's fans can look at the one good game out of 10 and ignore the rest.

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 01:57:15 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

No.

People forget, or chose not to remember, but TA was the bench's most productive player last season until he hurt his ankle on December 1st.

9 points, 49.6% shooting, 2.2 rebounds, 1.2 steals, 1.1 assists, 2.8 FTAs, 1.3 TOs, .61 blocks, in about 20 minutes a game.

6.3 points, 50.8% shooting, 2 rebounds, .85 steals, 2.2 assists, 1.7 FTAs, .77 TOs, .00 blocks, in almost 21 minutes a game.

8.9 points, 36.7% shooting, 4.1 rebounds, 1.2 steals, 1 assist, .79 FTAs, .79 TOs, .64 blocks, in 21.5 minutes a game.

Fact is, TA's been an above-average NBA player throughout his career and he represents a huge step up from JR Giddens, the player he's most likely to replace on the roster. 

I'm glad Tony's ready to play again--he can't do anything but help at this point. He's one of the few players on this roster than can create his own shot and defend the perimeter.  He could really thrive on the 2nd unit now that Daniels has taken over the majority of the ball handling responsibilities.

I'll take twice the assists and half the turnovers any day. Especially when the rest of the numbers are so comparable.

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 02:01:12 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528

Well done!  TA improves the roster simply by being better than
even one guy already on it.   But, he could be more valuable than that.  It is true that the one stat that gives folks agita (me included) is the turnover stat.  He does need to improve in that realm.  

But he is an energy player who has had some very productive games. He also seems to to be well-liked and is always  an enthusiastic supporter of his teammates.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 02:20:56 PM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 02:04:02 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
If he hustles, closes out on shooters, chases loose balls, and plays with intensity, boxes out, even in limited minutes(under 10), we're a better team, if only because other (better) players might catch on to the idea of doing those things.

The current rotation plays like it has nothing to prove.  Tony does, and I'll chance a few minutes of PT on that with our team right now.  

Not much of a chance he'll be on the roster at the end of the season, but he just might light a fire that helps us.  As for a trade, whether he plays or not, his biggest trade value is likely as an expiring contract.