Author Topic: Jaylen plus parts for Beal  (Read 2724 times)

Jaylen plus parts for Beal
« on: October 18, 2020, 12:17:15 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Obviously the parts is important but I think it could be any of the younger guys for salary matching purposes. 

We’d have a great 1-2 scoring punch and a third with Hayward or kemba.  Brown never going to be as good as Beal is right now IMO but wash may be interested in a youth movement.

My only concern is what this would do to the teams defense.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 12:26:23 PM by droopdog7 »

Re: Jaylen plus parts for Beal
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 12:22:53 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
That is an interesting one to think about. Beal would be a better fit for this team with his superior outside shot making, shooting off the dribble, ball-handling and passing ability. Beal would make the team's offense more well rounded and dynamic.

My main concern with Beal is his health. There was a lot of stuff a few years ago about long term issues with him which do not get talked about anymore. I don't know if they have gone away or not. I do not think they have. I can't remember the issue. Was it his knees?

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 12:54:07 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
no for me....due to Brown's defense...and chance to really get even better.

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 12:55:15 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
no for me....due to Brown's defense...and chance to really get even better.
My main concern is the defense.  I’m not concerned they brown will become as good as Beal.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 01:16:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Keep Jaylen.  He’s homegrown and he plays both ends.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 01:24:51 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
That is an interesting one to think about. Beal would be a better fit for this team with his superior outside shot making, shooting off the dribble, ball-handling and passing ability. Beal would make the team's offense more well rounded and dynamic.

My main concern with Beal is his health. There was a lot of stuff a few years ago about long term issues with him which do not get talked about anymore. I don't know if they have gone away or not. I do not think they have. I can't remember the issue. Was it his knees?

Lower leg - he had a stress fracture in his fibula. But he's been mostly healthy since 2016, playing full 82 game seasons or coming up just shy in the seasons since.

I'd consider doing this deal. Beal is only 27 and while he's not as defensively versatile as Jaylen, he's not a terrible defender. It'd depend on what the other parts are, though.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 01:27:37 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Keep Jaylen.  He’s homegrown and he plays both ends.

Makes no sense to me. You are trading a premier up and coming two-way wing who we successfully drafted and developed for an older, more expensive, offensively gifted SG who will be a FA in 2022 (w/ a $37M player option for that season). Honestly, Jaylen is one of the most valuable players/contracts in the league right now. I think we sometimes forget that w/ Tatum on the team.

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 05:09:34 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Even if Brown isn't as good as Beal in a vacuum next season I'm not sure on this team he doesn't do MORE to actually help you win than Beal would as soon as next season.

Beal is truly terrible on defense, if you trade for him then Kemba has to go as well because that back court defensively doesn't work. Hell Kemba/Beal/ Tatum doesn't make a lot of sense offensively either given the tendency of all those guys to want the ball.

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 05:40:08 PM »

Offline SteveD

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 1
Beal and Brown are both still improving yearly, but Jaylen is three years younger and I like his contract better. Brown is so much better defensively, I wouldn't make the swap if I'm the Celtics.

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 05:49:25 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Brown is better defensively, is younger and is on a more friendly contract, so I'd probably pass. As I mentioned in another thread regarding Devin Booker, I'd probably only pull the trigger if we flipped Kemba for Holiday so our defence didn't lose anything. In fact, going from Brown and Kemba to Beal and Holiday is probably a defensive upgrade, Holiday is that good.

A few things in Beal's favour is that he is a truly awesome offensive player, still quite young, and he's close with JT.

Smart, Kanter, Langford and Poirier gets it done salary wise. Do we have the picks to throw in to get Washington to do that deal? We could still then do a deal based on a Kemba - Holiday swap.

Would have a starting lineup of Holiday-Beal-Brown-Tatum-Theis with Hayward as the 6th man, hopefully having opted out and extended. It's crazy to propose so much roster upheaval, but that team would be super nasty
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 10:21:28 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I like Beal but not for Jaylen. 

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 10:30:53 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
Brown is better defensively, is younger and is on a more friendly contract, so I'd probably pass. As I mentioned in another thread regarding Devin Booker, I'd probably only pull the trigger if we flipped Kemba for Holiday so our defence didn't lose anything. In fact, going from Brown and Kemba to Beal and Holiday is probably a defensive upgrade, Holiday is that good.

A few things in Beal's favour is that he is a truly awesome offensive player, still quite young, and he's close with JT.

Smart, Kanter, Langford and Poirier gets it done salary wise. Do we have the picks to throw in to get Washington to do that deal? We could still then do a deal based on a Kemba - Holiday swap.

Would have a starting lineup of Holiday-Beal-Brown-Tatum-Theis with Hayward as the 6th man, hopefully having opted out and extended. It's crazy to propose so much roster upheaval, but that team would be super nasty
Zero chance we get Beal for that deal.  Beal average 30 a game last year.  To get someone like him what you give up has to hurt some. 

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 11:21:57 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I think Jaylen projects as a better player than Beal moving forward so no thanks.

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 11:41:36 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
No?

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2020, 12:21:02 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Nope nope nope
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain