Author Topic: Vague outline of my ideal offseason/roster construction next season  (Read 3519 times)

Re: Vague outline of my ideal offseason/roster construction next season
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 03:07:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Horford
Davis
Hayward
Brown
Kyrie

Tell Stevens to figure it out.

Smart
Baynes
Morris

FA - best available wing for the MLE

We need some solid citizens on the bench. Jared Dudley for the vet minimum?

Roy, your solid citizen proposal seems to change depending on who we last played (Vince Carter, now Jared Dudley).  8)

Ha. That’s either coincidental or subconscious. Dudley has been a binkie since his BC days. With Carter, I used to hate him until late in his career. He matured into a leader, something that guys like AI and Carmelo could never do.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 03:18:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Regarding Baynes, I have two main thoughts:

(a) I like him a lot
(b) if the Celts keep him, they need to find somebody who can fill the same role when he's injured, because Baynes is fairly injury prone
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2019, 03:19:14 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Just floating my thoughts and feelings out there for next season.

corrections that need to be make

1. Irving and Tatum simply cant coexist long term. Both want the same role and its not going to work
       This either needs to/will come for Irving walking or Tatum being the key piece in an AD trade
2. Hayward needs to be the primary facilitator when Irving is off the court
       DA doesn't need to replace Terry with a "PG" I would look for a shooter in the Seth Curry mold or a player in the AB mold
3. Al needs less time as the only big on the court
       Either Cs trade for AD, Williams gets an expanded role, or they replacement Morris with a MLE FA big

Ideally ( i understand alot has to happen with salary matching and I don't want to make this a long deep dive)

1. Cs trade for AD using Tatum as the center piece along with the Grizz pick, King pick and LAC pick. Williams is also likely included and some fancy cap manipulation centered around a Rozier S&T for a player like JR Smith

2. Cs use MLE on a back up guard like Seth Curry, Pat Beverly, Avery Bradley( long shot) basically an off the ball PG who allows Hayward to play the point

3. Assuming the Cs retain their own pick in an AD trade ( I would imagine NO with rather have a future pick then this years) their are a number of players I would love to see the Celtics get in the 20-25 range. Based on Tankathons mock I would target (in this order) KZ Okpala, Talen Horton Tucker, Matisse Thybulle or Cameron Johnson

2019/2020 Key rotational Players

PG Irving
SG Smart
SF Brown
PF AD
C  Horford

6th Hayward
7th Baynes
8th MLE Guard (Curry, Beverly, etc
9th Semi

Unless Tatum wakes up and plays awesome in playoffs, I doubt the package you offer would win the AD sweepstakes.  The draft picks are pretty weak both in placement and given the weakness of this draft.  If Lakers still willing to give up Ingram (assuming his shoulder okay), Ball and Kuzma, plus picks, I think their package far exceeds what you expect to get it done. Feels like we will have to give up Tatum and one of Brown/Smart plus the picks to be competitive for AD trade.

Maybe. Then again like all the Lakers young guys have had either performances issues, injury issues, or both. They are pretty much at an all time low. And the NOP didn't seem inclined to deal with them before that.

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2019, 03:34:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Put me in the "i just threw up in my mouth" category.  I want no part of Irving!  I think he's a solipsistic ****!  Look, I didn't like IT either, for other reasons, but he wasn't near the pathetic character that Kyrie is. 

So, I'm getting the impression that you don't like having All-stars on the team.

Without Kyrie, and with Horford on the bench, I think we're a borderline playoff team, even with Vuc.

"So, I'm getting the impression that you don't like having All-stars on the team."

Not when that All-Star is a cancer to the team.

How was IT a cancer?  Because he talked a lot?  His teammates loved him, and he elevated the team.

Kyrie's teammates seem to like him, too.  I'll grant you that he's a lousy leader, but I think everyone on the team appreciates what he can do on the court.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2019, 04:16:14 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd have to see what picks the team has and if guys opt out and/or resign.

Irving, Horford, Baynes, Theis, Morris, and Rozier all might leave.

Does Grizz pick convey? Does Kings pick get luck at 2, 3, or 4?

Did the team get to the finals?

Just too many questions for me.

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2019, 04:22:18 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
Just a general question, but is it just me or does this entire site seem to already think we have AD on the team for 2019-2020  :P

(Not directed at you or your post OP, just talking this blog in general)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2019, 04:46:59 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Just a general question, but is it just me or does this entire site seem to already think we have AD on the team for 2019-2020  :P

(Not directed at you or your post OP, just talking this blog in general)

This was my ideal (plausible) scenario for next season. I don't think AD to the Cs is set in stone but barring a total playoff melt down (feels 50/50 at this point) I suspect the Cs to be in the lead to land AD. Irving obviously has to stay for this to work and I also feel 50/50 on that. If Irving stats and the Cs go for it the only trade I see beating the Celtics offer is one that is built around Zion and I doubt that happens.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2019, 12:19:36 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Put me in the "i just threw up in my mouth" category.  I want no part of Irving!  I think he's a solipsistic ****!  Look, I didn't like IT either, for other reasons, but he wasn't near the pathetic character that Kyrie is. 

So, I'm getting the impression that you don't like having All-stars on the team.

Without Kyrie, and with Horford on the bench, I think we're a borderline playoff team, even with Vuc.

"So, I'm getting the impression that you don't like having All-stars on the team."

Not when that All-Star is a cancer to the team.

How was IT a cancer?  Because he talked a lot?  His teammates loved him, and he elevated the team.

Kyrie's teammates seem to like him, too.  I'll grant you that he's a lousy leader, but I think everyone on the team appreciates what he can do on the court.

I didn't imply IT was a cancer, but I think KI is!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2019, 01:03:52 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Horford
Davis
Hayward
Brown
Kyrie

Smart
Baynes
Morris

I would co-sign this.

One thing I would point out is trying to sign Dwayne Dedmon. He is a beast and would be available within our price range, even if it means say goodbye to morris.
IT would be also someone I would consider
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2019, 01:48:31 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Just floating my thoughts and feelings out there for next season.

corrections that need to be make

1. Irving and Tatum simply cant coexist long term. Both want the same role and its not going to work
       This either needs to/will come for Irving walking or Tatum being the key piece in an AD trade
2. Hayward needs to be the primary facilitator when Irving is off the court
       DA doesn't need to replace Terry with a "PG" I would look for a shooter in the Seth Curry mold or a player in the AB mold
3. Al needs less time as the only big on the court
       Either Cs trade for AD, Williams gets an expanded role, or they replacement Morris with a MLE FA big

Ideally ( i understand alot has to happen with salary matching and I don't want to make this a long deep dive)

1. Cs trade for AD using Tatum as the center piece along with the Grizz pick, King pick and LAC pick. Williams is also likely included and some fancy cap manipulation centered around a Rozier S&T for a player like JR Smith

2. Cs use MLE on a back up guard like Seth Curry, Pat Beverly, Avery Bradley( long shot) basically an off the ball PG who allows Hayward to play the point

3. Assuming the Cs retain their own pick in an AD trade ( I would imagine NO with rather have a future pick then this years) their are a number of players I would love to see the Celtics get in the 20-25 range. Based on Tankathons mock I would target (in this order) KZ Okpala, Talen Horton Tucker, Matisse Thybulle or Cameron Johnson

2019/2020 Key rotational Players

PG Irving
SG Smart
SF Brown
PF AD
C  Horford

6th Hayward
7th Baynes
8th MLE Guard (Curry, Beverly, etc
9th Semi

Unless Tatum wakes up and plays awesome in playoffs, I doubt the package you offer would win the AD sweepstakes.  The draft picks are pretty weak both in placement and given the weakness of this draft.  If Lakers still willing to give up Ingram (assuming his shoulder okay), Ball and Kuzma, plus picks, I think their package far exceeds what you expect to get it done. Feels like we will have to give up Tatum and one of Brown/Smart plus the picks to be competitive for AD trade.

Maybe. Then again like all the Lakers young guys have had either performances issues, injury issues, or both. They are pretty much at an all time low. And the NOP didn't seem inclined to deal with them before that.
Yeah, I think the C's still have the edge over a LAL package but a big Tatum flop in the playoffs could change things considerably.  Somebody else suggested this, but I do think that Brown AND Tatum and the picks will be their asking price.

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2019, 10:56:10 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Horford
Davis
Hayward
Brown
Kyrie

Smart
Baynes
Morris

I would co-sign this.

One thing I would point out is trying to sign Dwayne Dedmon. He is a beast and would be available within our price range, even if it means say goodbye to morris.
IT would be also someone I would consider

Agreed on Dedmon. Would be a very nice pick-up to give us depth at the center position.