Author Topic: I'm Keeping An Eye On Avery Bradley  (Read 7342 times)

Re: I'm Keeping An Eye On Avery Bradley
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2019, 09:11:35 AM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I will admit to not watching AB recently but if he's 80% the defender he was while here I'd take him
 He could come off the bench to help defend some of the "quicker" guards Smart sometimes stuggles against.

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2019, 09:45:20 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Avery is averaging 17ppg with Memphis in 10 games, I doubt he signs anywhere for vet min.

And those aren't exactly toasts figures as well...
Mind you Gordon Hayward looked more toasts prior to his last two games resurgence.
We have two years of him looking toast on Clippers and Detroit. I don't think a late resurgence in Memphis should make the C's enthusiastic about bringing him back.

As a 15 MPG backup guard, sure but that's not the sort of opportunity he wants I bet.

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2019, 09:48:08 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
The people claiming Bradley is washed up clearly haven't been paying enough attention to his circumstances, and the fact since he joined Memphis has shown he still has plenty left to contribute.
What circumstances explain his bad play for two full years on two different teams that gave him every chance to succeed? (Doc tried just about everything to get him going)

10 good games in Memphis shouldn't outweigh 90 games of poor play.

The best case you can make for Avery is that he's been injured the past two years.

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2019, 09:55:17 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I just looked it up, 3 of Avery's top career game scores (via BBREF) are from his 10 game stint in Memphis.

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2019, 10:03:09 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I live in Tn and watch a lot of Grizzlies basketball.  He is the perfect type player for them at that contract level. I'm almost certain they will pick up his team option.

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2019, 11:50:28 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I just looked it up, 3 of Avery's top career game scores (via BBREF) are from his 10 game stint in Memphis.

Are you still bearish?  I've seen my share of players looking great in March and it translating to exactly nothing in the future, but it's usually younger guys who did nothing before that as well as nothing after, not accomplished players like AB.  He wasn't good at all in Detroit or LAC, but his #'s in Memphis have been that of a quality starting SG, and that team is close to .500 since he came.

Before he came to Memphis I'd have agreed he was cooked and passed.  Now that Memphis is happening and he's balling, I'm pretty sure he'd be the one to pass.  But if not and we traded for AD and kept Smart + Brown, AB fits in that mix.  While I think I prefer a Kyrie/Smart backcourt, Kyrie/Brown could thrive if Brown could pass better, and Smart/AB sounds like a truly elite backup backcourt, with long range shooting and as elite D as any NBA backcourt pairing if Smart plays PG on offense and SG on defense. 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2019, 12:19:52 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
I'll still take Avery Bradley over Terry Rozier.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2019, 12:20:38 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Are you still bearish? 
10 games of decent play during the tanking run off of the season < 90 games of crappy play with teams trying to desperately make the playoff.

Do you think he's now a 40% 3 point shooter? Avery has always been overrated as a defender because he's only good at one on one defense. His overall team defensive contribution doesn't hold up.

Do you believe 10 good games, or two years?

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2019, 12:21:37 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
http://bkref.com/tiny/p377M

???

And I'm not a fan of Terry's overall season here, but Bradley's season has been worse in every aspect.

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2019, 12:32:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I wish Avery all the best but I do not wish to see him in a Celtics jersey again.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2019, 02:24:05 PM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
http://bkref.com/tiny/p377M

???

And I'm not a fan of Terry's overall season here, but Bradley's season has been worse in every aspect.

Bradley is the better defender and shooter this year.  Rozier is the higher volume scorer and rebounder, but that makes sense as a point guard who drives to the basket versus AB who is a spot up shooter.  Different games, different roles.  I sure wish AB was about 4-5 inches taller and he would be a much better player, think MS with better shooting, and less play making ability, but the height really hurts him on both ends.

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2019, 02:34:49 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Are you still bearish? 
10 games of decent play during the tanking run off of the season < 90 games of crappy play with teams trying to desperately make the playoff.

Do you think he's now a 40% 3 point shooter? Avery has always been overrated as a defender because he's only good at one on one defense. His overall team defensive contribution doesn't hold up.

Do you believe 10 good games, or two years?

I'm not sure.  The obvious answer is 2 years but the best speculators often know when the answer is 10 games.  Not saying that's me, just that it is an answer.  I mean, Jaylen Brown has had 1 season in the last 4 (of college and NBA) where he didn't shoot under 33% from 3 and yet he's considered by most to be a capable 3 point shooter. 

I'm also not sure who you're comparing him to.  Who at the vet minimum are you thinking of who's superior, or who has 3 better games this year than Avery's best 3 games?  Or you don't care and just don't like the fit?

EDIT - Also for the record, very very small sample size, but AB's Griz are better than AB's Pistons so far in winning %.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2019, 02:47:50 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I wish Avery all the best but I do not wish to see him in a Celtics jersey again.

Same.

There are far better players, both on the Celtics roster and around the NBA.

Not a big Bradley fan. Was a good defender, but could never get it together (injury prone, streaky shooter, etc.)

Not sure why these former crappy players on the rebuilding teams (Bradley, Olynyk, Isaiah, Zeller, etc) keep getting brought up.

None of them were that good.

I personally appreciate the team we have now and feel lucky with the roster we have

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2019, 02:57:35 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Same.

There are far better players, both on the Celtics roster and around the NBA.

Not a big Bradley fan. Was a good defender, but could never get it together (injury prone, streaky shooter, etc.)

Not sure why these former crappy players on the rebuilding teams (Bradley, Olynyk, Isaiah, Zeller, etc) keep getting brought up.

None of them were that good.

I personally appreciate the team we have now and feel lucky with the roster we have

None of them were that good?

So we're just going to forget the MVP-like season that Isaiah Thomas gave us with his blood, sweat, and tears?

We're just going to ignore the professionalism and consistency day in, and day out from Avery Bradley? Lock down perimeter defense before injuries derailed him?

And the game 7 offensive explosion from KO? Without KO's dominance over that game 7, who knows what could've happened to our future...

How soon we forget what these players did for us, and what they meant by proving they are indeed Celtic-brotherhood worthy.

In before you say this is your 'opinion', but the statement, 'none of them were that good,' is very far from the truth... And actually shows a lot of ignorance and inability to be thankful for the players who sacrificed a lot.

Also without Isaiah, we don't get Kyrie, and without AB's contract to match Morris's, we also aren't able to bring in Hayward...

Horford also came to the Celtics, because of our culture, and championship potential, along with having a great PG in Isaiah.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 03:03:01 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2019, 03:23:09 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If Smart is gone in a trade and Rozier is gone in FA, I would be ecstatic to pick up AB for cheap. Our biggest problem right now is that nobody really knows their role; that would not be an issue whatsoever with AB. We should all be so lucky to have AB on our roster again.