Author Topic: Tobias Harris started following Marcus Smart on Twitter, C's players follow him  (Read 31200 times)

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Looks like he was used in a kinda strange way in ORL since they're heavy P/R and dump to Vucevic often. Shoots it well, looks to give a lot of effort on D (even if he's not great at it right now), and could play multiple positions (Don't see being a tweener a bad thing; He's young and may have room to grow defensively).

I wouldn't be surprised if he is the best we can do in FA, so I would be happy to land him. In general, he seems to resemble Jeff Green, but better - shows up more often, better rebounder. So why not? With the current powerhouses in the league, I doubt anyone touches CLE if healthy; If they aren't, you have GS, Hou, Clips, OKC (if healthy and stand pat with roster), etc. all stacked with heavy talent. Might as well attempt to be a bit more competitive for a while and enjoy the ride with young guys.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI 4m4 minutes ago

Tobias Harris is viewed as at least a $10 million per year player, several executives say. One exec pegs Harris' value at $12 to $14 million

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
He is obviously getting the max
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Chris Mannix ?@ChrisMannixSI 4m4 minutes ago

Tobias Harris is viewed as at least a $10 million per year player, several executives say. One exec pegs Harris' value at $12 to $14 million
Id do the max so anything less would be gravy
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
It sounds like the Magic are willing to let him go if he signs a near max or max offer with someone:

Because they aren't clinically insane.

I really, really hope that Tobias Harris on a Max (or near max) contract isn't the best we can do this off-season.

He would potentially cost us 4x - 5x more than what we're paying turner, and there is no way in hell he's ever 2x the player.

Harris is without a doubt in my mind the single most overrated free agent on the market this year.  He's one of the worst defenders in the league at the SF spot, and is not even close to being a dominant offensive player - merely an 'above average'  one, and according to stats even that's debatable. 

He doesn't have much in the way of upside either.  He's already played 4 seasons as a pro, and over that time he has never (not once) averaged more than 17.7 Points Per 36 minutes or 36.4% from three (32.1% career average).  His career shooting percentages from midrange are below average, his career free throw rate (29%) is average and his scoring efficiency (0.22 Points Per FGA) is also extremely average.

Even if you look at his advanced stats, his offensive game is not even starting calibre (-0.32 Offensive RPM, 39th out of 87 active small forwards) and his defensive game is is bottom 10 at his position (-2.20 Defensive RPM, 77th out of 87 active Small Forwards) and his overall impact on the game is a significantly in the negative (-2.52 Overall Real Plus Minus, 57th out of 87 active Small Forwards).

There is absolutely nothing that is anything but average about this guy - he's not even a starting caliber talent, let alone a star...and his lack of improvement statistically on a per-36 basis (outside of three point percentage) suggests that his upside is also pretty limited.   

It's debatable if he's would even add wins over the guys we already have:

Evan Turner has an Overall RPM of -1.36 (-1.09 ORPM, -0.27 DRPM)
Jae Crowder has an Overall RPM of -0.44 (+0.62 ORPM, -1.06 DRPM)
Jonas Jerebko has an overall RPM of +2.59 (+0.93 ORPM, +1.66 DRPM)

I've been really pushing for Danny to go after some (ANY!!) big name free agent who might make us even the slightest bit improved as a team, but I have serious question marks as to whether this guy will improve us at all, because every statistical number i can see indicates to me that he's just as likely (if not more likely) to make us worse and that he's the grandest example of a guy who gets inflated numbers playing in a garbage team.

If we have even the slightest chance of making a run at ANY of the big name players out there who have a chance at being available, then pretty much anybody on the list below (at the 3, 4, 5) would give us a far bigger benefit than Harris would:

Draymond Green (+6.85 RPM)
Demarcus Cousins (+6.12 RPM)
Kris Middleton (+6.07 RPM)
Paul Millsap (+5.11 RPM)
Tyson Chandler (+4.59 RPM)
Deandre Jordan (+4.47 RPM)
Jimmy Butler (+4.31 RPM)
LaMarcus Aldridge (+4.05 RPM)
Kevin Love (+2.81 RPM)
Greg Monroe (+2.66 RPM)
Kenneth Faried (+2.17 RPM)
Thaddeus Young (+1.20 RPM)
Joakim Noah (+1.09 RPM)
Joe Johnson (+0.87 RPM)
Hassan Whiteside (+0.70 RPM)
Robin Lopez (+0.52 RPM)
Rudy Gay (+0.40 RPM)
Paul Pierce (+0.32 RPM)
Roy Hibbert (+0.01 RPM))

Just saw this one, thanks. But RPM's major drawback is that it doesn't take into account the team aspect, and how individuals are the beneficiary of being on a good team. That may be impacting stats quite a bit, even with this list.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 12:22:20 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Been wanting Harris since last year.  Any c's fan that doesn't  has no clue about the team needs.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 08:54:20 PM by cltc5 »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
It sounds like the Magic are willing to let him go if he signs a near max or max offer with someone:

"The Magic are reportedly interested in bringing back Harris but not at the price of a max or near-max contract, which is expected to be over $15 million per season. The Orlando franchise and Harris discussed a contract extension in the previous season but the Magic’s offer is reportedly in the $10 million to $11 million per season range."

http://www.ibtimes.com/celtics-pistons-reportedly-interested-orlando-magic-free-agent-forward-tobias-harris-1987039

If we could get him for 12.9M or lower, we could do it with a sign & trade, absorbing his incoming with the Rondo TPE.   That would be fantastic because then we wouldn't have to renounce any rights or TPEs yet.

But I think it will be more likely he goes for closer to a full 15.3M max.   We could still do it with a sign & trade, but that will involve more complex steps.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

I really, really hope that Tobias Harris on a Max (or near max) contract isn't the best we can do this off-season.

He would potentially cost us 4x - 5x more than what we're paying turner, and there is no way in hell he's ever 2x the player.

Harris is without a doubt in my mind the single most overrated free agent on the market this year.  He's one of the worst defenders in the league at the SF spot, and is not even close to being a dominant offensive player - merely an 'above average'  one, and according to stats even that's debatable. 

He doesn't have much in the way of upside either.  He's already played 4 seasons as a pro, and over that time he has never (not once) averaged more than 17.7 Points Per 36 minutes or 36.4% from three (32.1% career average).  His career shooting percentages from midrange are below average, his career free throw rate (29%) is average and his scoring efficiency (0.22 Points Per FGA) is also extremely average.

Even if you look at his advanced stats, his offensive game is not even starting calibre (-0.32 Offensive RPM, 39th out of 87 active small forwards) and his defensive game is is bottom 10 at his position (-2.20 Defensive RPM, 77th out of 87 active Small Forwards) and his overall impact on the game is a significantly in the negative (-2.52 Overall Real Plus Minus, 57th out of 87 active Small Forwards).

There is absolutely nothing that is anything but average about this guy - he's not even a starting caliber talent, let alone a star...and his lack of improvement statistically on a per-36 basis (outside of three point percentage) suggests that his upside is also pretty limited.   

I've been really pushing for Danny to go after some (ANY!!) big name free agent who might make us even the slightest bit improved as a team, but I have serious question marks as to whether this guy will improve us at all, because every statistical number i can see indicates to me that he's just as likely (if not more likely) to make us worse and that he's the grandest example of a guy who gets inflated numbers playing in a garbage team.

If we have even the slightest chance of making a run at ANY of the big name players out there who have a chance at being available, then pretty much anybody on the list below (at the 3, 4, 5) would give us a far bigger benefit than Harris would:

Paul Millsap (+5.11 RPM)
Jimmy Butler (+4.31 RPM)
Kevin Love (+2.81 RPM)
Greg Monroe (+2.66 RPM)
Joakim Noah (+1.09 RPM)
Joe Johnson (+0.87 RPM)
Robin Lopez (+0.52 RPM)
Rudy Gay (+0.40 RPM)
Paul Pierce (+0.32 RPM)
Roy Hibbert (+0.01 RPM))

You don't have a clue

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

He doesn't have much in the way of upside either. 

You might find it interesting to read Stephen Shea's take:

http://www.basketballanalyticsbook.com/2015/05/06/the-nbas-most-underrated-player/

Also, regardless of the fact that he's "already played 4 seasons in the NBA", he's only 22.   I think it would be a difficult assertion to support that he isn't likely to continue to improve his game over the next 5-10 years.   Most NBA players don't reach peak athleticism until their late 20s and most continue to improve skills well into their  30s.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

Paul Millsap (+5.11 RPM)
Jimmy Butler (+4.31 RPM)
Kevin Love (+2.81 RPM)
Greg Monroe (+2.66 RPM)
Joakim Noah (+1.09 RPM)
Joe Johnson (+0.87 RPM)
Robin Lopez (+0.52 RPM)
Rudy Gay (+0.40 RPM)
Paul Pierce (+0.32 RPM)
Roy Hibbert (+0.01 RPM))

You don't have a clue

Can't handle a different opinion that's backed up by a bunch of stats?? 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Is he also following Kobe Bryant, Nick Young, Jeremy Lin, D'Angelo Russell, or Carmelo Anthony? You know, just to be safe and sure  ;D ;D ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Please let this happen. He's so young!

Pay him fair market value and let's hop to it!!

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Harris is a restricted free agent. He can't be signed and traded.

We an only sign him to an offer sheet and then wait to see if Orlando matches

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Paul Millsap (+5.11 RPM)
Jimmy Butler (+4.31 RPM)
Kevin Love (+2.81 RPM)
Greg Monroe (+2.66 RPM)
Joakim Noah (+1.09 RPM)
Joe Johnson (+0.87 RPM)
Robin Lopez (+0.52 RPM)
Rudy Gay (+0.40 RPM)
Paul Pierce (+0.32 RPM)
Roy Hibbert (+0.01 RPM))

The only guys on that list on non-playoff teams are Cousins, Gay, and Farried.  The vast majority play on solid playoff teams.  And Sacramento won 4 more games than Orlando and Denver won 5 more!!

Sorry, maybe this list will help:

Demarcus Cousins - Sacramento (+6.12 RPM)
Carmelo Anthony - NY Knicks  (+4.81 ORPM, -2.09 DRPM, +2.72 RPM)
Ricky Rubio - Minnesota (+0.38 ORPM, +2.33 DRPM, +2.71 RPM)
Elfrid Payton - Orlando (+1.22 ORPM, +0.87 DRPM, +2.09 RPM)
Greg Monroe - Detroit (+0.37 ORPM, +2.29 DRPM, +2.66 RPM)
Robert Covington - Philadelphia (+2.07 ORPM, +0.03 DRPM, +2.10 RPM)
Darren Collison - Sacramento  (+1.52 ORPM, +0.26 DRPM, +1.78 RPM)
Kentavious Caldwell Pope - Detroit (+1.66 ORPM, -0.37 DRPM, +0.29 RPM)
Brandon Jennings - Detroit (+2.64 ORPM, -1.41 DRPM, +1.23 RPM)
Theddaus Young - Minnesota/Brooklyn (+0.05 ORPM, +1.15 DRPM, +1.20 RPM)
Kevin Garnett - Minnesota/Brooklyn (-1.42 ORPM, +2.13 DRPM, +0.89 RPM)
Ben McLemore - Sacramento (+0.20 ORPM, +0.71 DRPM, +0.91 RPM)
Joel Anthony - Detroit (-1.82 ORPM, +2.68 DRPM, +0.86 RPM)
Andre Drummond - Detroit (-0.08 ORPM, +0.82 DRPM, +0.74 RPM)
Ronnie Price - LA Lakers (+0.17 ORPM, +0.40 DRPM, +0.57 RPM)
Nikola Pekovic - Minnesota (-0.43 ORPM, +1.00 DRPM, +0.57 RPM)
Rudy Gay - Sacramento (+2.86 ORPM, -2.46 DRPM, +0.40 RPM)
Nerlens Noel - Philadelphia (-4.85 ORPM, +3.36 DRPM, -1.49 DRPM)

Remember that this is 'Real Plus Minus' - it's not a measure of whether the team is winning or losing while the player is on the court.  It's a measure of measure of how much the lead changes while the player is on the court.   

Lets say Player-X is on the bench and the team is losing, with their opposing team increasing their lead by 4 points every 3 minutes of game time. 

Now lets say Player-X steps on to the court for an 8 minute stretch, and over that stretch the team is still getting outscored by their opponent but this time at a rate of 2 points for every 3 minutes of game time.

Player-X will have a Positive Real-Plus Minus in this scenario, because even though his team is still getting blown out...the rate at which they are getting blown out has reduced...and hence Player-X is having a positive net impact on his team while he is on the court.

This is why (for the most part) the overall greatness / crapiness of the team doesn't really have a huge effect on a player's RPM stats, because these measure how that player impacts the game individually.

The only potential issue with RPM is for guys who play less minutes (like end of bench guys who play 6 minutes per game) because those guys might only get subbed on to the court in garbage time when the team is already either up huge or down huge, and probably gets subbed in along with 4 or 5 other end of bench guys.  Hence every time this player gets on the court it's with 4 other crap players, and would likely have a really bad RPM that isn't necessarily reflective of his individual play and/or contribution.

However when you have guys like Harris who play major minutes (his 36 MPG means he's on the court 75% of the time) then you can rest assured that he plays with a huge assortment of different lineups (and with a large assortment of other players), so this gives you a very large and realistic sample size that should give you a very strong indication of how he individually impacted the team.

Plus teams like this usually have a lot of crappy players, so if one crappy player steps off the court, and another crappy player steps on the court in his place, it doesn't really impact the RPM much because the team is getting beat just as badly regardless of which of those guys plays.  So when you have a team as bad as Orlando, that ALWAYS has crappy players on the court...and that team gets EVEN WORSE when Harris steps on...then that's really not a good sign.

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Harris is a restricted free agent. He can't be signed and traded.

We an only sign him to an offer sheet and then wait to see if Orlando matches

You sure about this, nick? I thought RFAs couldn't be signed and traded only if they signed an offer sheet with another team.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague