Poll

Who will go 1st in the 2019 draft

Zion Williamson
21 (91.3%)
Ja Morant
2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Who will go 1st in the 2019 draft - Williamson or Morant  (Read 4773 times)

Re: Who will go 1st in the 2019 draft - Williamson or Morant
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 09:02:24 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Zion will.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 09:03:04 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Zion will.

Yeah, I don't watch college ball at all but he's the name I hear about everywhere. He seems like the clear cut #1.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 09:07:08 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Morant should go 2nd though, ahead of Barrett?

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 09:13:28 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Zion will.

Yeah, I don't watch college ball at all but he's the name I hear about everywhere. He seems like the clear cut #1.

Yes but I don't think its as clear cut (Lebron James) type of #1 pick

Zion is a monster but still only like 6'6 - 6'7 tweener.  You ponder for a sec how that could translate at the NBA level

Morant is a legit PG with good size 6'3 and RW like explosiveness

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 09:14:31 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Zion.

No question.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 09:14:40 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Morant should go 2nd though, ahead of Barrett?

Top 5. Barrett is the Buddy Hield of the draft

you know will be a good NBA player just how high is his ceiling/is he a alpha dog?

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 09:15:37 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Zion.

No question.

Disagree about the no question part

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 09:18:22 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Zion will.

Yes but I don't think its as clear cut (Lebron James) type of #1 pick

Zion is a monster but still only like 6'6 - 6'7 tweener.  You ponder for a sec how that could translate at the NBA level

Morant is a legit PG with good size 6'3 and RW like explosiveness

I have no idea who the better player will be, but that’s not the only consideration. The excitement and hype that Zion brings is off the charts. He will sell lots and lots of tickets.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 09:21:21 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I think it has to be Zion, but Morant has everything you want in a modern lead guard. That kid is magic. I am a huge believer in his abilities. He has great positional size, an absolutely nasty first step, and a rapidly developing handle (it's already good) all in an explosive package. That and I love pass first PGs who love to cut off ball.

I have seen 3 Murray State games in full this year (counting yesterdays dominant performance) and my jaw has been on the floor each time. His command of running the point at the college level is the most dominant from the lead guard spot in a long time. He genuinely seems to love getting his teammates involved, and I can't imagine how good he will be with nba level talent around him. He can find shooters in the corner, and can navigate a pnr like a pro.

Edit: The only thing limiting him is his propensity to rack up turnovers. He is going to have to reel that in to become truly elite.

1.) Zion    2.) Morant    3.) Barrett
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 09:52:44 AM by A Future of Stevens »
#JKJB

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 09:44:04 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I think it has to be Zion, but Morant has everything you want in a modern lead guard. That kid is magic. I am a huge believer in his abilities. He has great positional size, an absolutely nasty first step, and a rapidly developing handle (it's already good) all in an explosive package. That and I love pass first PGs who love to cut off ball.

I have seen 3 Murray State games in full this year (counting yesterdays dominant performance) and my jaw has been on the floor each time. His command of running the point at the college level is the most dominant from the lead guard spot in a long time. He genuinely seems to love getting his teammates involved, and I can't imagine how good he will be with nba level talent around him. He can find shooters in the corner, and can navigate a pnr like a pro.

1.) Zion    2.) Morant    3.) Barrett

I agree

and both Zion and Morant will be walking highlight reels with their insane dunks

Teams that choose #1 and #2 will get a good pick guaranteed

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 10:10:35 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Morant is really intriguing, but if you watched the game yesterday, you wouldn't have seen him put any significant energy at all into defense, and was a study in energy conservation. On the other hand, Zion has one of the highest revving motors we've ever seen, and plays intense defense.

Morant clearly picked Marquette apart, but until I see him man up against a pro level point guard, I can't put him at the same level as Zion. Murray state never put him on Markus Howard, so I doubt we see him doing any tough defensive assignments in the tournament.

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 10:27:34 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
The better question is at 2, but even then I can't see Morant going ahead of Barrett.  I suppose that could change if Morant follows up yesterday with another monster game, especially if they win again, but Williamson and Barrett both strike me as having much higher ceilings than Morant.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 10:47:35 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Morant is really intriguing, but if you watched the game yesterday, you wouldn't have seen him put any significant energy at all into defense, and was a study in energy conservation. On the other hand, Zion has one of the highest revving motors we've ever seen, and plays intense defense.

Morant clearly picked Marquette apart, but until I see him man up against a pro level point guard, I can't put him at the same level as Zion. Murray state never put him on Markus Howard, so I doubt we see him doing any tough defensive assignments in the tournament.

Shouldn’t you have the same reservation about Zion? Wait to see what he can do against NBA players?

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 11:00:44 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
The better question is at 2, but even then I can't see Morant going ahead of Barrett.  I suppose that could change if Morant follows up yesterday with another monster game, especially if they win again, but Williamson and Barrett both strike me as having much higher ceilings than Morant.

Why?