Author Topic: Early 2020 Draft Watchlist  (Read 22653 times)

Re: Early 2020 Draft Watchlist
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2019, 08:30:37 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Yeah. I’d love to have the pick roll over and then have Memphis win the lottery for us. But That seems unlikely. There are some truly terrible teams out there. If the pick rolls over, Ja and Jackson will have another year of experience; the team will have a lot of cap room to get vets or resign the younger players they really value ($58 mill currently booked for next year, even if they keep Valanciunas); and they would be adding a top six talent. They would also have no incentive to tank. It’s possible they end up toward the end of the lottery or even sneak into the last playoff seed - the West isn’t what it used to be.

Net - if it actually conveys 7-10 next year I’m fine. Take the best player available and worry about the rest later.
Yeah, but unless it's a top 2 pick, who are you scared of Memphis landing that would make them much improved? I'd rather have the 6th/7th pick next year than the 3rd pick this year. Much more size and A LOT more talent in '21. It's really going to be an impact full draft.

That was one of several factors. The biggest are Morant and Jackson gaining another year of experience, the cap space, the really really bad teams out there, and zero incentive to tank. Realistically, a top-6 guy (which includes 1-2, by the way), could be a rotation player right away - especially if all you’re trying to do is compete for the 8 seed.

I don’t believe anybody who says they know how good the draft is going to be two years from now.

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2019, 08:41:09 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Yeah. I’d love to have the pick roll over and then have Memphis win the lottery for us. But That seems unlikely. There are some truly terrible teams out there. If the pick rolls over, Ja and Jackson will have another year of experience; the team will have a lot of cap room to get vets or resign the younger players they really value ($58 mill currently booked for next year, even if they keep Valanciunas); and they would be adding a top six talent. They would also have no incentive to tank. It’s possible they end up toward the end of the lottery or even sneak into the last playoff seed - the West isn’t what it used to be.

Net - if it actually conveys 7-10 next year I’m fine. Take the best player available and worry about the rest later.
Yeah, but unless it's a top 2 pick, who are you scared of Memphis landing that would make them much improved? I'd rather have the 6th/7th pick next year than the 3rd pick this year. Much more size and A LOT more talent in '21. It's really going to be an impact full draft.

That was one of several factors. The biggest are Morant and Jackson gaining another year of experience, the cap space, the really really bad teams out there, and zero incentive to tank. Realistically, a top-6 guy (which includes 1-2, by the way), could be a rotation player right away - especially if all you’re trying to do is compete for the 8 seed.

I don’t believe anybody who says they know how good the draft is going to be two years from now.
Cap space doesn't mean much.  The free agent pool is going to be weak and what good free agent is going to choose Memphis over other options. 

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2019, 12:06:05 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
If the Memphis pick conveys my two early guys from this draft class are

Onyeka Okongwu and Isaiah Stewart

Both seem like good fits playing the role of a mobile smaller big. I especially like the physicality Stewart would bring to the team.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2019, 01:17:07 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Cap space doesn't mean much.  The free agent pool is going to be weak and what good free agent is going to choose Memphis over other options.

You’re calibrating for Celtics-level expectations, which is a mistake. It won’t make them a championship team, but it can help them sign players who will let them be better than the dreck at the bottom of the league.

Why go there? Their future looks pretty good. You’re talking about Jackson’s third year and Morant’s second. The third young piece could easily look promising too - consider adding a Garland or a Barrett to this team alongside Morant and Jackson.

The cap space gives mem options in building a roster. They may not need max guys - we aren’t talking about contending for a title next year - we’re asking if they can get some quality vets to fill out their rotation alongside the stars who will be their core, plus keep the other young guys on their team? Absolutely they can.

And above all - any incentive to tank is GONE. Other bad teams will be sitting starters toward the end or trading them. Memphis won’t. Anything’s possible, but barring injury their most likely outcome is to get better next season, and maybe sniff the playoffs  - meaning our odds of getting that awesome top level pick are pretty small.

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2019, 02:09:44 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If the Memphis pick conveys my two early guys from this draft class are

Onyeka Okongwu and Isaiah Stewart

Both seem like good fits playing the role of a mobile smaller big. I especially like the physicality Stewart would bring to the team.

Stewart seems to score mostly by posting up or offensive rebounds. I'd rather have someone who shows more potential facing the hoop as well.  We have Ennis Kanter already.

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2019, 01:54:02 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
time to officialize things.

My official binky:  Onyeka Okongwu

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2019, 02:35:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
If Memphis pick matures in 2020, hoping it’s 7-10. Draft a decent big project.

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2019, 02:36:30 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

N’Faly Dante

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2019, 05:30:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Steven Enoch could be a big-man in our range at the end of the draft. He's old (22), but he is a real difference maker for Louisville. Doesn't get too much play (21MPG roughly), but he possesses really good OBPM, DBPM, BPM and WS/48 numbers since arriving at Louisville. Great rebounder, and has shown flashes of being able to shoot a three.

I really like the way Tyrese Haliburton plays.

Daniel Oturu is a big having a really nice season. Has a lovely touch around the ring.

Omer Yurtseven (seems like we have talked about him for 4 years straight) could be another late-round target.

I love Paul Reed. Developing jump-shot, but is a great rebounder and defender, and can score.

Feel like Ashton Hagans has become somewhat forgotten about. Could be a good pickup.

Avidjia also seems good, but don't know much about him.

Don't really want us to end up with 3 first rounders to be honest. Not sure if any team is looking to trade down though, who knows. Ultimate dream is we're able to package into the top 5 and snag Wiseman or something like that, but 2021 seems like a stronger draft to me. Jalen Green, Evan Mobley, Jalen Johnson, Ibou Dianko Badji (physical monster) and Saddiq Bey are all fun prospects, to name a couple.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2019, 08:07:08 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
Steven Enoch could be a big-man in our range at the end of the draft. He's old (22), but he is a real difference maker for Louisville. Doesn't get too much play (21MPG roughly), but he possesses really good OBPM, DBPM, BPM and WS/48 numbers since arriving at Louisville. Great rebounder, and has shown flashes of being able to shoot a three.

Daniel Oturu is a big having a really nice season. Has a lovely touch around the ring.

Omer Yurtseven (seems like we have talked about him for 4 years straight) could be another late-round target.

I love Paul Reed. Developing jump-shot, but is a great rebounder and defender, and can score.

Feel like Ashton Hagans has become somewhat forgotten about. Could be a good pickup.

Don't really want us to end up with 3 first rounders to be honest. Not sure if any team is looking to trade down though, who knows. Ultimate dream is we're able to package into the top 5 and snag Wiseman or something like that, but 2021 seems like a stronger draft to me. Jalen Green, Evan Mobley, Jalen Johnson, Ibou Dianko Badji (physical monster) and Saddiq Bey are all fun prospects, to name a couple.

Hagans looks great.  But hoping Tremont gets the nod for back up PG next year...but I'm sure Danny would take Hagans anyway if he likes him. 
Avidjia is intriguing as a bench option for a few years...then see where we're at with SF.  IF he's picked at 7-10 by Danny I'll have high hopes.

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2019, 08:13:56 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Hagans looks great.  But hoping Tremont gets the nod for back up PG next year...but I'm sure Danny would take Hagans anyway if he likes him. 
Avidjia is intriguing as a bench option for a few years...then see where we're at with SF.  IF he's picked at 7-10 by Danny I'll have high hopes.
Yeah, my hopes / expectations for Waters and Edwards are probably why I'm less looking at point guard prospects.

Avidjia could be something. Not sure how he'll hold up, but he seems to have a good IQ for the game (from the very limited I've actually seen).
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2019, 09:09:14 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
Has Filip Petrušev been mentioned yet? He’s a 6’11” 235 Serbian that was a FIBA u-19 all-star last summer. He’s avg 18-8 as a Gonzaga sophomore splitting time with Kispert and Tillie. His stock should be rising with Gonzaga being ranked #1. He sounds like he might be a Sabonis type big.

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2019, 10:31:28 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
Has Filip Petrušev been mentioned yet? He’s a 6’11” 235 Serbian that was a FIBA u-19 all-star last summer. He’s avg 18-8 as a Gonzaga sophomore splitting time with Kispert and Tillie. His stock should be rising with Gonzaga being ranked #1. He sounds like he might be a Sabonis type big.

found him.  right now at 25 of 2021 draft on nba draft.net....and 42 or so on 2021 draft room.  Whichever draft he chooses I'm sure you're right that he'll rise some.

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2019, 09:52:20 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Add to that Cade Cunningham, Terrance Clarke(Super Freak Athlete from Dorchester!) and Greg Brown. It is really a loaded draft.

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2019, 09:56:31 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

A little early for me and binkies but if we get stuck with the Memphis pick DA should really move up as far as he can if anyone will take the Boston pick and the Bucks pick.
Right now I really like Obi Toppin from Dayton. He could move up in this weak draft and be a top 5 pick.