Poll

In a redraft of the 2016 draft where would Jaylen Brown be taken?

1st
2 (5%)
2nd
15 (37.5%)
3rd
11 (27.5%)
4th/5th
8 (20%)
6th/7th
3 (7.5%)
8th or later
1 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Revisiting the 2016 Draft  (Read 18034 times)

Re: Revisiting the 2016 Draft
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2019, 09:56:10 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I was really surprised that Ainge didn't pick Jamal Murray or Buddy Hield in 2016.

What us fans don't have the luxury of is seeing the actual prospects in person.

Markelle Fultz was the consensus #1 pick in 2017.

But Ainge surprised everyone by passing on what was supposed to be a sure thing.

I think a lot of us Celtic fans would also come to a different conclusion if we get to see the prospects up close and personal.

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2019, 09:57:25 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Hield is 27 as well

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2019, 10:03:26 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I was a Bender fan with our pick...so I lost the right to talk about that draft.

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2019, 10:07:52 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Hield is 27 as well

I think the age factor is overblown.

Take the case of Kobe Bryant.

Kobe retired at the age of 37.

That's not really old for a modern professional athlete.

I think it's more of the mileage than the age of the athlete.

If you start young, like Kobe at age 18, you also end your career at a younger age.

The injuries and the stress of being a professional athlete will take its toll sooner than later.

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2019, 10:11:07 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
No transcendental players that could be once in a generation, but in what was thought ahead of time to be a bad draft, there are a lot of future All-Stars and some future All-NBA players in this draft.

I think Danny made the right pick at #3.

Definitely too early to say that.  Both Siakam and Ingram are probably borderline at the moment.

I'm probably the biggest Brown fan there is, but even I can admit he's probably the worst of the 8 players listed by the OP.

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2019, 10:15:15 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
As it stands now Siakam is clear number 1
Then probably Brogdon
Then it’s a split between Jaylen , Simmons and Murray

I agree... Siakam has definitely separated himself from the pack.

Thing is these players still are going to improve and their rankings might differ again in 2 yrs time specially if Simmons develops a shot and Jaylen becomes a regular 25 to 30ppg scorer.

Siakam is terrific but it has to be considered that he is 2-3 years older and Brogdon is 4-5 years older than the others.  I would be a GM disaster, but playing this low stakes game here, I'd probably pick Brogdon behind Jaylen, Murray and Simmons today.  Siakam probably is #1.

I was about to post this very thing so TP. Brogdon is 27!!  Siakam is 25. JB is only 23. Actually Ingram is really improved and also very young. We won’t know for another 3 years who the best guy is.
I started my post with :” .. as it stands now..”
I don’t doubt that things will change however both Siakam and Brogdon keep improving and are at an all star level already. It’s amazing what Indiana have done given the difficult situation George put them in. Maybe we can make a similar steal from a team thats not willing to pay the tax like they did with the Bucks.

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2019, 10:17:24 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
As it stands now Siakam is clear number 1
Then probably Brogdon
Then it’s a split between Jaylen , Simmons and Murray

I agree... Siakam has definitely separated himself from the pack.

Thing is these players still are going to improve and their rankings might differ again in 2 yrs time specially if Simmons develops a shot and Jaylen becomes a regular 25 to 30ppg scorer.

Siakam is terrific but it has to be considered that he is 2-3 years older and Brogdon is 4-5 years older than the others.  I would be a GM disaster, but playing this low stakes game here, I'd probably pick Brogdon behind Jaylen, Murray and Simmons today.  Siakam probably is #1.

I was about to post this very thing so TP. Brogdon is 27!!  Siakam is 25. JB is only 23. Actually Ingram is really improved and also very young. We won’t know for another 3 years who the best guy is.
I started my post with :” .. as it stands now..”
I don’t doubt that things will change however both Siakam and Brogdon keep improving and are at an all star level already. It’s amazing what Indiana have done given the difficult situation George put them in. Maybe we can make a similar steal from a team thats not willing to pay the tax like they did with the Bucks.

Celts already did that with the signing of Kemba Walker.

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2019, 10:22:31 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I was really surprised that Ainge didn't pick Jamal Murray or Buddy Hield in 2016.

But Ainge surprised everyone by passing on what was supposed to be a sure thing.

I think a lot of us Celtic fans would also come to a different conclusion if we get to see the prospects up close and personal.
I was surprised to see him pick Jaylen. But I knew it’s the right pick. I never doubted Ainge when he picks at the top of the lottery. I remember he was expected to trade the pick but surprised all those GMs that were daring him to make the pick as we had a lot of youngish players and were a playoff team

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2019, 10:38:01 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

I was surprised to see him pick Jaylen. But I knew it’s the right pick. I never doubted Ainge when he picks at the top of the lottery. I remember he was expected to trade the pick but surprised all those GMs that were daring him to make the pick as we had a lot of youngish players and were a playoff team

The key to that pick was if the Celts can convert Brown from being 3 or 4 in college to a 2 or a 3 in the NBA.

Looks like the Celts succeeded.

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2019, 10:46:44 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
No transcendental players that could be once in a generation, but in what was thought ahead of time to be a bad draft, there are a lot of future All-Stars and some future All-NBA players in this draft.

Definitely too early to say that.  Both Siakam and Ingram are probably borderline at the moment.

I'm probably the biggest Brown fan there is, but even I can admit he's probably the worst of the 8 players listed by the OP.

Thats surprising, right now I'd rather have him than Murray or Heild. Sabonis is close but given the positional value probably over him as well. After that it gets more difficult. Siakam and Brogdon are better right now but those guys are 2.5 and 4 years older respectively it wouldn't surprise me at all if his age 27 year is better than Brogdon this year for example. Ingram is putting up bonkers stats, buts he's never contributed to winning and has been bad on defense this year. Simmons is half court liability. I think long term Jaylen could very well end up anywhere from the legit best players in the draft to like 3rd or 4th. He's arguably improved the most rookie year to now off any of them.

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2019, 11:23:46 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I think he has a great argument for #2 and a weak one for #1, he's much younger than Brogdon while being better than Ingram and Simmons (two way play+portable game).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2019, 06:45:54 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

Thats surprising, right now I'd rather have him than Murray or Heild. Sabonis is close but given the positional value probably over him as well. After that it gets more difficult. Siakam and Brogdon are better right now but those guys are 2.5 and 4 years older respectively it wouldn't surprise me at all if his age 27 year is better than Brogdon this year for example. Ingram is putting up bonkers stats, buts he's never contributed to winning and has been bad on defense this year. Simmons is half court liability. I think long term Jaylen could very well end up anywhere from the legit best players in the draft to like 3rd or 4th. He's arguably improved the most rookie year to now off any of them.

I agree. I think the only player that would leap Jaylen in a redraft is Siakam.  Jaylen is a better 2-way player than anyone else in that draft

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2019, 07:57:44 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Other than Siakim, I'm not sure I'd take any of them over Jaylen. Not sure how you could see him as the worst of those 8 players

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2019, 08:05:07 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Other than Siakim, I'm not sure I'd take any of them over Jaylen. Not sure how you could see him as the worst of those 8 players
I think he hasn't watched the Celtics after the season opener, jk :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2019, 08:26:33 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
It is interesting that Brown has been as good if not better than Ingram and Simmons.  Siakam is an interesting player but I am not quite sure he is the star he has shown flashes of being.  And yes, age is a critical factor in the evaluation for draft and still is although getting less.  At 23, Jaylen has more upside than say Heild at 27.  There is just no doubt about this.

It was an interesting draft.  A lot of talent emerged from it.  I am very happy with Brown.