Author Topic: The Aleksej Conundrum  (Read 4581 times)

The Aleksej Conundrum
« on: November 14, 2020, 01:07:49 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I have nothing to say about mr. Pokusevski.  I just liked the sound of the thread title.

But since we're here feel free to discuss this skinny stasher.  Or lay down some draft thread titles that sound good but have little to no content.

Like "Devin the Great"

Now there's a player I'd like to see on the C's! 

Re: The Aleksej Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 01:41:06 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Let's see.  A young, raw player in the Greek 2nd division.  Hmm...  We know how that worked out the 1st time around when we had a mid-1st pick.  If we draft Aleksej, I don't know how it will work out.  But if we don't draft him, he'll certainly become a star.  If Ainge drafts someone else over Aleksej and calls that player a good complimentary role player, you'll hear my screams in Alabama all the way up in Boston.   >:(

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 02:27:44 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I want nothing to do with a 7 footer who thinks he’s a two and currently sucks at basketball

BUT I also wanted nothing to do with Giannis
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 03:33:35 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Can lightning strike in the same place (league?) twice??

That's the big question that Danny has to answer  :angel:

Here's a short highlights clip of the young fellow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di85qVuVOYQ
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 04:09:08 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 04:51:51 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Under normal circumstances  that have nothing to do with him he would be a player of the first division. The greek A1 is not ACB but obviously much better than A2

He plays a bit in the Euroleague too so you can see him against real competition(unlike Antetokoumpo) . And he hasn't done much(like Bender). To me that is an orange flag.

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 09:08:53 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
excellent conundrumming so far!  TP's...

Bender, Giannis, Kelly OLynyck....Lots of players wrapped up in this mystery...

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 09:58:36 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Started a thread about this guy a couple of months ago.

I'd take him at 26, or package 26 and 30 to a higher pick to take him. 14 would be an overpay.  All the better if we can stash him.

Swing for the fences with those late round picks.

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 10:30:08 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Being a 7 footer who can shoot threes is already enough to get him playing time under Stevens.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 12:41:36 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91

I don’t think he has Giannis level athletic ability on his drives to the basket, but he’s got a 3 point shot that Giannis doesn’t have, and he’s more decisive and has a quicker release than Olynyk.

What’s his lateral movement like? He’s fine going forward, but can he move sideways to defend? Is his length and BBIQ enough to compensate if he can’t?

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 01:25:41 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

I don’t think he has Giannis level athletic ability on his drives to the basket, but he’s got a 3 point shot that Giannis doesn’t have, and he’s more decisive and has a quicker release than Olynyk.

What’s his lateral movement like? He’s fine going forward, but can he move sideways to defend? Is his length and BBIQ enough to compensate if he can’t?

I dont really think the lateral movement will be a problem, he moves fines. He's nimble. The issue is strength, he's string bean. Now obviously a lot of 18 year olds are,  but whether he can pack on weight/strength without slowing down his feet is the big question.

The Olynyk comparison is interesting, but this guy is more athletic (base off you tubes clips, so obvious caveats apply), listed at much longer (7'3 wingspan), an much younger at draft (turns 19 in December).

Honestly I wouldn't be against just taking him at 14, its a big swing type pick but nobody else really blows me away this draft. Or maybe package 26+30 to move up to 20 and pick him there.

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 02:32:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
At 26 or 30, sure.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 02:40:10 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I dont really think the lateral movement will be a problem, he moves fines. He's nimble. The issue is strength, he's string bean. Now obviously a lot of 18 year olds are,  but whether he can pack on weight/strength without slowing down his feet is the big question.

The Olynyk comparison is interesting, but this guy is more athletic (base off you tubes clips, so obvious caveats apply), listed at much longer (7'3 wingspan), an much younger at draft (turns 19 in December).

Honestly I wouldn't be against just taking him at 14, its a big swing type pick but nobody else really blows me away this draft. Or maybe package 26+30 to move up to 20 and pick him there.
Poku is the youngest player in the draft and he was playing SG a year or so ago until his growth spurt.  With NBA strength training, no reason to think Poku won't add enough weight/strength to be plenty good enough for the modern NBA.  Just don't expect him to bang with Embiid.  His passing and shot creation are top notch for a young big man and he should be a solid 3pt shooter.   

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2020, 02:40:54 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
At 26 or 30, sure.
Poku should be gone long before then. 

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 02:40:55 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Can lightning strike in the same place (league?) twice??

That's the big question that Danny has to answer  :angel:

Here's a short highlights clip of the young fellow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di85qVuVOYQ

When I watch highlights like this I feel like I could have played professionally overseas.
ok fine

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 02:42:38 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Let's see.  A young, raw player in the Greek 2nd division.  Hmm...  We know how that worked out the 1st time around when we had a mid-1st pick.  If we draft Aleksej, I don't know how it will work out.  But if we don't draft him, he'll certainly become a star.  If Ainge drafts someone else over Aleksej and calls that player a good complimentary role player, you'll hear my screams in Alabama all the way up in Boston.   >:(

TP to tazz for accurate breakdown of Ainge's international record.

I will admit the french kid he drafted was pretty good....in China.