Poll

Who is most likely to slide out of top 10 on draft night?

Deni Avdija
1 (4.3%)
Obi Toppin
5 (21.7%)
Killian Hayes
4 (17.4%)
Isaac Okoro
8 (34.8%)
Tyrese Halliburton
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Who is most likely to slide out of top 10 on draft night?  (Read 5494 times)

Re: Who is most likely to slide out of top 10 on draft night?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2020, 01:54:58 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Hayes or Okoro.

Toppin should go top five don't know why people don't value his strengths more than the weaknesses. Defense is overratted in the NBA.
It's underrated more than anything.
I mean impact on games. The way the league is called and played a good offense far out ways a good defense.
Yeah that too. It's honestly still roughly a 60/40 split between offence and defence even with the rise of the three point shot and off-ball movement rather than an insane difference where a top level attacker is magnitudes better than the very best defenders.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2020, 06:06:08 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Hayes or Okoro.

Toppin should go top five don't know why people don't value his strengths more than the weaknesses. Defense is overratted in the NBA.
I mean impact on games. The way the league is called and played a good offense far out ways a good defense.
Yeah that too. It's honestly still roughly a 60/40 split between offence and defence even with the rise of the three point shot and off-ball movement rather than an insane difference where a top level attacker is magnitudes better than the very best defenders.
I think its 70/30 because of how teams create space or force switches. Put Smart on a guy and they just screen or pick him and get their scorer a better match up. But have a guy who can't score or hit free throws late into the game they can't stay on the court.

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2020, 10:42:05 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Hayes or Okoro.

I think its 70/30 because of how teams create space or force switches. Put Smart on a guy and they just screen or pick him and get their scorer a better match up. But have a guy who can't score or hit free throws late into the game they can't stay on the court.
It's been accounted for in the 60/40 split iirc, this is based off of decades of data and the modern era actually hasn't been THAT different. To me you can try to screen or pick Smart away from your offensive centrepiece, but there isn't much you can to make us pay for scramming back into an ideal guarding position or have Smart play great help defence even if you pick on the mismatch.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2020, 12:49:12 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Hayes or Okoro.

This is not true
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2020, 05:33:39 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Hayes or Okoro.

It's been accounted for in the 60/40 split iirc, this is based off of decades of data and the modern era actually hasn't been THAT different. To me you can try to screen or pick Smart away from your offensive centrepiece, but there isn't much you can to make us pay for scramming back into an ideal guarding position or have Smart play great help defence even if you pick on the mismatch.
I ain't talking decades I'm talking this year.
Proof is how the Heat won. Our defenders got caught up in pick and roll and couldn't get back. And the Heat relied on zone. That's mediocre defense good offense. C's in contrast could play good defense when isolated but turned the ball over and could not understand how to attack a high school defense.

The proof was just shown to us including the Jazz vs Nuggets series. Good defenders taking out of plays too often. Good offensive players still getting 25 or more pts.

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2020, 05:34:27 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Hayes or Okoro.

This is not true
I wish it wasn't but it is.

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2020, 05:51:28 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Hayes or Okoro.

I ain't talking decades I'm talking this year.
Proof is how the Heat won. Our defenders got caught up in pick and roll and couldn't get back. And the Heat relied on zone. That's mediocre defense good offense. C's in contrast could play good defense when isolated but turned the ball over and could not understand how to attack a high school defense.

The proof was just shown to us including the Jazz vs Nuggets series. Good defenders taking out of plays too often. Good offensive players still getting 25 or more pts.
Decades of data including this year. Proof is how the Lakers won the title on the back of an incredible defence buoying a good but not great offence this season :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2020, 09:52:13 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Hayes or Okoro.

I think having a single great defender can be overrated.  I think having a terrible defender is a death nail.