Author Topic: Woj: Celtics "standing pat"  (Read 14671 times)

Re: Woj: Celtics "standing pat"
« Reply #120 on: February 23, 2017, 06:36:10 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I'm slightly disappointed we didn't get rebounding help, considering it's a glaring deficiency.

Danny doesn't over-pay, and I'm fine with that.

Sometimes when you have what some might consider "a lot of assets"... folks try to screw you. One thing you can say about Danny, he isn't reckless.

« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2017, 06:36:40 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Ainge must go.....

Ive had enough of the wait and see approach..

Purgatory

haha seriously?  DA management of the team is the reason we have all these assets.  The price was too high for butler and PG.  so be it, lets hope the ping pong balls bounce nice for us to a #1 pick and then add the euro guys next year.  We are going to be a better team next year either way.

Spin it anyway you would like. I'll give you George with the LA pipeline but not Butler. If Butler could have been had for the Nets 17 and anybody else not named Al or Thomas then Ainge is off his meds.

Butler IT Al would attract free agents and veteran fillers who want to win. Now you wait what, another 4 years especially if the 17 pick is not the #1 overall

where is there any proof that DA could have pulled a Butler deal that didn't kill our team?

The Ainge must go part is the really laughable section of your previous statement.  We are only in this position to even go after these players because of deals that DA has done.  The over-reactions are classic after standing pat.

Ainge 14 years 2 finals 1 championship. Underachiever? You bet

I'm irritated at Danny because he could have landed a franchise cornerstone center while still keeping the 2017 BRK pick, and maybe even Brown.

But, that said, one title and another Finals in 14 years is wildly successful for an NBA GM.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2017, 06:41:14 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Ainge must go.....

Purgatory

haha seriously?  DA management of the team is the reason we have all these assets.  The price was too high for butler and PG.  so be it, lets hope the ping pong balls bounce nice for us to a #1 pick and then add the euro guys next year.  We are going to be a better team next year either way.

Spin it anyway you would like. I'll give you George with the LA pipeline but not Butler. If Butler could have been had for the Nets 17 and anybody else not named Al or Thomas then Ainge is off his meds.

Butler IT Al would attract free agents and veteran fillers who want to win. Now you wait what, another 4 years especially if the 17 pick is not the #1 overall

where is there any proof that DA could have pulled a Butler deal that didn't kill our team?

The Ainge must go part is the really laughable section of your previous statement.  We are only in this position to even go after these players because of deals that DA has done.  The over-reactions are classic after standing pat.

What do you think an "average" achiever would have done in 14 years?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2017, 07:05:27 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Ainge must go.....

Purgatory

What do you think an "average" achiever would have done in 14 years?

In those 14 years, 11 franchises (including the C's) made it to an NBA Finals.  Only 8 made it more than once (Celtics, Pistons, Spurs, Heat, Cavs, Warriors, Mavs and Lakers). 

« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2017, 07:10:50 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Ainge must go.....

Purgatory

I'm irritated at Danny because he could have landed a franchise cornerstone center while still keeping the 2017 BRK pick, and maybe even Brown.

But, that said, one title and another Finals in 14 years is wildly successful for an NBA GM.

Yeah, I was extremely disappointed as well. I think that Boogie is the type of person that Red would have added. I wonder if it was that Brad didn't want to coach him or IT didn't want him here. The thing about that franchise cornerstone is that if it cost Boston as little as it did NO,
the reward certainly would have outweighed the risk.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2017, 07:16:39 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
Are we sure Cousins was truly attainable? You look at the return the Kings got and laugh. Ranadive seems to really love him some Buddy and they made that trade 4 days before the deadline. Listening to Stein on Lowe's podcast they may have made that deal before Ranadive could change his mind again. I look at that and see mostly incompetence from the Kings organization. Just don't know if Ainge could have been involved if he wanted too.

« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2017, 07:27:22 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Ainge must go.....

Purgatory

Yeah, I was extremely disappointed as well. I think that Boogie is the type of person that Red would have added. I wonder if it was that Brad didn't want to coach him or IT didn't want him here. The thing about that franchise cornerstone is that if it cost Boston as little as it did NO,
the reward certainly would have outweighed the risk.

I completely disagree with this.

People are acting like Boogie has actually done something in this league.  All he has done is lose, cycle through coaches like toilet paper, and make a fool out of himself.  I don't care how talented he is - results matter.

There is a very real chance that even if he came to Boston, he would have made the team no better and possibly worse.  Whatever we traded to get him would be down the drain.  Any cap space for a max free agent gone.  And let's not forget him ruining the team and being an altogether horrible person to play with.

This isn't the NFL folks.  People in this region are so spoiled by the Patriots success and there ability to just cut-and-run from guys who won't follow the 'Patriot Way.'  That is not how it works in pro basketball.  Bringing in guys like that can ruin your franchise.

« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2017, 07:32:34 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Going into this season I felt that every one of our starters were just place holders for the real starter to come latter.   We should be in that middle of the pack nightmare where you’re not good enough to contend but too good to get a great pick.   Except that we are contending, at least as well as any team could reasonably be expected to against LeBron and Golden State.  Not only that we are most likely  going to get a top two pick this year, but even if its # 3 or 4 that is a major coup for a team currently 3 games out of the top sport in the east.  On top of that we are almost guaranteed another top 5 pick next year.

I really don’t think we will trade either Brooklyn pick.  I believe that ownership is looking for that player that can carry a team for a decade and picking in the top 5 is the best way to get that player.   Does anyone really think if we gave up Smart and Crowder and replaced them with Butler that we would be significantly better?  I think we still have a tough fight against Toronto (probably lose) and still no chance at Cleveland.   Plus we would miss out on Fultz or Ball (Danny sat court side at their match up, FYI). 

Really if a lot of fans on this board were GMs we would have traded those picks as soon as we got them for Gortot or Hibbert (there was so much interest at one point).    Trading for George would be great until he jumps ship for LA.   Then it would be a trade we got punked on, because we’d still have no NBA title.  Truth be told it appears we are really trying to build our roster to be the team that steps up next.  There are some teams that look like that can really dominate in a few years: Minnesota, Philly, Milwaukee, and now New Orleans.   Sure IT and Horford have shorter windows than Smart and Brown, but if we keep Smart and Brown, when they’re ready they’ll be joined by two more top 5 picks.   Also we have the ability to max out another free agent this summer.   If we get Hayward that is really big.  It’s not just Hayward, but Hayward backed up by Crowder making for a strong bench.

PG13 already fell short with a really good Pacers team and Butler likewise came up short with a really good Bulls team.   We need a true transcendent talent and maybe ball or Fultz is that guy, but we already know that both Butler and George as good as they are, they’re not transcendent.
Let’s say we get Hayward as a FA and the Brooklyn picks step up as starters (they earn it) and IT stays and accepts a bench role.  Then we could have this in 2018.

Starters
PG: Fultz/Ball (2017 BKN pick)
SG: Brown
SF: Hayward
PF: Horford
C: DeAndre Ayton/ Mohamed Bamba (2018 BKN)

Bench
PG: IT
SG: Smart
SF: Crowder
PF: KO
C: Zizic

Sure the roster could look different and we could have IT starting with Fultz at SG and Brown at SF and no Hayward, but that would still be really good.

Maybe we go in to 2018 like this:

PG: IT/Smart
SG: Fultz/Rozier
SF: Brown/Crowder
PF: Horford/KO
C: Zizic/Mohamed Bamba

The point is not making a trade doesn’t hurt us at all.   Keeping our picks and key role players like Smart and Crowder let us have a devastating bench and a really strong starting 5.

Doing nothing and just drafting the Brooklyn picks will make us much better, much faster than had we traded for Butler or George.

« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2017, 07:50:51 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Ainge must go.....

Purgatory

If Garnett didnt go down we probably 3 peat.
But yeah you're being completely unreasonable.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.