Author Topic: 2011 CB Draft Interest Thread/Team Assignment+Lottery  (Read 202927 times)

Re: 2011 Annual CB Draft Interest Thread
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2011, 04:23:52 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Is LeBron still a lock at #1 anymore?
Yes, he should be.

His past two playoffs opens up lines of attack against him, but he's still the best player in the league by a big margin.

The players you mention are all first round picks, but LeBron brings the most to the table. Especially since you as an owner can build a cohesive team around him, instead of having a duplicate slasher/pentrator in Wade.
I'd also consider the youngest mvp in league history (Rose) or the youngest scoring champ in league history (Durant)
LeBron dismantled Rose in the playoffs, Rose isn't top pick material yet he needs to work on his shot and his overall feel for the game when he's being defended tough in the playoffs.

Durant brings plenty of scoring, but I find it hard to take him ahead of Howard/LeBron given how strong of defenders those two are compared to Durant. Plus Durant doesn't create anything for his team mates, unlike those too.
Durant already is the best scorer in the league, what happens when he bulks up and is unstoppable in the post? What if he bulks up and becomes an elite defender? With a post game doubles will come at him more often which will leave him with more room to find open teammates. I think Durant just has such a high ceiling that you have to at least considerhim.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2011, 04:25:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Personally I just don't like Lebron and would never want him on my team. If I am going to argue on a player's behalf I have to at the very minimum be apathetic to them. I just can't stand LeBron or Kobe or Iverson or Kareem or Vince Carter or Tracy McGrady or Tony Allen and so could never have them on any team I would draft on this site.

Of course, if I end up with the #1 pick I probably just screwed over my chances of trading down and getting optimum value but, there it is. That's how I feel about it.

« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2011, 04:26:40 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Is LeBron still a lock at #1 anymore?
Yes, he should be.

His past two playoffs opens up lines of attack against him, but he's still the best player in the league by a big margin.

The players you mention are all first round picks, but LeBron brings the most to the table. Especially since you as an owner can build a cohesive team around him, instead of having a duplicate slasher/pentrator in Wade.
I'd also consider the youngest mvp in league history (Rose) or the youngest scoring champ in league history (Durant)
LeBron dismantled Rose in the playoffs, Rose isn't top pick material yet he needs to work on his shot and his overall feel for the game when he's being defended tough in the playoffs.

Durant brings plenty of scoring, but I find it hard to take him ahead of Howard/LeBron given how strong of defenders those two are compared to Durant. Plus Durant doesn't create anything for his team mates, unlike those too.
Durant already is the best scorer in the league, what happens when he bulks up and is unstoppable in the post? What if he bulks up and becomes an elite defender? With a post game doubles will come at him more often which will leave him with more room to find open teammates. I think Durant just has such a high ceiling that you have to at least considerhim.
Its a one year draft there is no way you're going to be able to argue that his game will suddenly morph into a plus plus help defender successfully.

« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2011, 04:37:34 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Okay for those participating, I have to ask, if you get the number 1 pick who do you take?
My top three - LeBron, Wade and D.Howard. Probably in that order.

I don't think I'd put Wade in that class anymore nor Lebron clearly at the top of the list based on the Finals.

I think my top 3 are:

1a - Dwight
1b - Lebron
3 - Dirk

Dwight is really easy to build around in a 24 team league.  Lebron's choking is just way too easy to attack in a playoff matchup if he meets a team with Dirk or Dwight (or maybe even Rose) on it that has sufficient talent around them.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2011, 04:41:30 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Okay for those participating, I have to ask, if you get the number 1 pick who do you take?

I don't think I'd put Wade in that class anymore nor Lebron clearly at the top of the list based on the Finals.

I think my top 3 are:

1a - Dwight
1b - Lebron
3 - Dirk

Dwight is really easy to build around in a 24 team league.  Lebron's choking is just way too easy to attack in a playoff matchup if he meets a team with Dirk or Dwight (or maybe even Rose) on it that has sufficient talent around them.

I think it'll come down to whether or not the person at #1 wants to deal with the Lebron perception question mark or not.

If they do, then its Lebron.  If not, almost certainly Howard.

I guess it just comes down to how the owner of #1 wants to handle Lebron.

My two cents.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2011, 04:44:06 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Gotta say I'm really excited about the 24 team format as depth of teams should improve and with the modified snake draft it will give teams picking really anywhere a shot a a very very good 3 player core after round three.

In a 30 team league the top 90 players are dispersed to make each team's three player core.

In this 24 team format now it's the top 72 players making up that three player core.

Just my opinion, but I think it will mean less need to try to go solely for Team of the Future if you draft late and will also mean that less rookies and unproven 2nd and 3rd year players will get drafted in the first 6 rounds.

The talent at the end of round 5 in a 30 team draft is now pushed back to the end of the 6th round in a 24 team draft. End of the 10th round talent in a 30 team format now gets pushed back to the end of the draft(12th round), basically.

Because it's the CB Draft, I expect tons of trading but I think this year, I'm not sure it's going to net as big an effect as in past years due to the better depth of the draft. We will see.
I actually prefer 30 teams because the teams are more similar to NBA teams (in the way talent is spread out). However, I prefer 24 committed owners with 24 teams to 24 committed owners with 30 teams.

The talent being spread out over 30 teams really increases the difficulty of making a good team.  I think at CB we have a big pool of extremely knowledgeable basketball fans which made the game really fun with 30 teams.  It makes it really easy to find and exploit weaknesses in opponents.

I think 24 teams will make it more fun because in a 30 team league, there are going to be some crappy teams with no choice really but to go for "team of the future".  I think with 24, everybody will have a shot at it (like nick said) which will be more fun for everybody.

Really makes me want to get back in it... but for now I'm going to stay out.  I look forward to checking in though and giving some impartial opinions.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2011, 04:46:06 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
It's interesting how people's perception of the number one player changes via the results of a Championship. But like Nick, there are a couple of guys I just could not stand having on my team ... my own worst enemy, I guess. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2011, 04:46:20 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
This was so fun.. if only I still had the time to participate..   :'(
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2011, 05:11:42 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all

I think my top 3 are:

1a - Dwight
1b - Lebron
3 - Dirk

No names!! right?!?

haha, i'm back in as always. are we going to do one of these a month during the lockout? we should!
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2011, 05:14:21 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
My #1 would probably have to be JeBron Lames.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2011, 05:15:17 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

I think my top 3 are:

1a - Dwight
1b - Lebron
3 - Dirk

No names!! right?!?

haha, i'm back in as always. are we going to do one of these a month during the lockout? we should!

GC!

« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2011, 05:15:24 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Who's insulting anybody?  I didn't think any of the followers voted (except for Dark Lord whose vote didn't count for one reason or another) just the players, and a few of them didn't even vote.
The implication that only because many who voted is biased could your clearly superior team lose.

You lost 18-4 its not like a few votes coming in would have swung the outcome.

Losing 18-4 doesn't really reek of "clearly superior" now, does it?
Will you guys relax?  It was a tongue-in-cheek statement that you're taking way too seriously.  Everyone thinks their team is superior.  The fact that you kicked my butt in a vote doesn't keep me from sticking to my guns.

Way to discover the lack of objectivity in a statement declaring the loser clearly superior than the winner.  It's my personal opinion, nothing more, that Pau Gasol (an unproven leader) could never lead a team of unproven role players past 4 athletic, defensive NBA champions + Jason Richardson.  That's just in my head, I wasn't calling into question the respectability of the draft.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2011, 05:18:07 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

I think my top 3 are:

1a - Dwight
1b - Lebron
3 - Dirk

Wade>>>>Lebron

and during 4 quarters

Wade >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lebron

Even more Bron is a wades parasite
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2011, 05:21:17 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
The question is do you take Lebron @ #1 (I think he's the clear cut #1) and risk dealing with the potential Lebron backlash that's out there?

We all know how perception is on here and how it relates to this draft.

This is what I am getting at. LeBron clearly is the best player in the NBA but he just as clearly has major bias against him in this draft. He also is going to need a major defensive push by his owner as he will just as clearly have a bullseye on his back due to some of his play and decisions in the last year or so.

Is it worth drafting him even if he is the league's best player? Much like in real life, LeBron has never been on a team that won a CB Draft title, I think. The bias against him is pretty daunting and will be tough to overcome.
Didn't he make it to the finals (in the draft) last year with some rather underwhelming teammates?  I wouldn't say that's too bad for a guy with 0 rings.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2011, 05:29:49 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I have to question listing a guy at number one if he can help get you to the Finals and then just bow out for the series. LeBron's got a lot to prove now that he's become one of the biggest chokers in the NBA ... not a first pick, IMHO.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 05:38:59 PM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *