Team 3
2 (8.7%)
Team 4
3 (13%)
Team 5
9 (39.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: June 24, 2009, 08:57:48 AM

Author Topic: Please Vote! Help us determine the "Fun Friday game" winner.  (Read 10093 times)

Re: Please Vote! Help us determine the "Fun Friday game" winner.
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2009, 01:20:17 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I just don't feel like Wade or Paul belong on an "all-time list' I'm sorry. Maybe I overrate the old timers? but it's just too soon for me personally. Obviously many don't agree.

Obviously you have to PROJECT their careers. They are both young and if they can keep up their production like this for about 7-10 years. They WILL be some of the best. Wade is already in discussions for top 10 SGs of all time(plus Jordan was NOt available), and Paul is, well...you tell me. Isnt this the golden boy of the NBA who is going to avg. 20+ pts, 10+ assts, and 2.5 stls for the next couple of years? Plus that was the beauty of this game, combining old school and new school, to make the best team. And again, the only REAL flaw to this game is that the Voting is based on OPINION.

You and others may have missed what I was going for here. This is not a game based on PROJECTIONS hence "all-time" (what have you done) list. It was also not supposed to be a "head to head" type scenario as it makes players like Bob Cousy and Jerry West obsolete. How can you have criteria on an NBA all-time list that makes Bob Cousy obsolete? It's absurd really. Nevertheless, this game has been totally fun and it's the first of many mini-games.

Question:  Does Bill Walton deserve a place on an all-time team?

At this point, I think Wade and CP3 have already arguably had as many great seasons as Walton had.  I think part of this exercise should be in terms of looking at how great a player is at his peak.  How many players in history have *ever* had a season as good as the one Wade is coming off of, for instance?  How many point guards have had a stretch as good as CP3 has over the past few seasons?  I think both of these players have already established themselves as all-time greats, at least when judged at their peak.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2009, 01:20:55 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Roy you feel like Chris Paul and Dwayne Wade right now are all-time NBA players?

Yes.  See my answer above.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2009, 01:21:04 PM »

Offline EatSleepBreatheGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 106
  • Men lie, women lie, numbers don't!
You and others may have missed what I was going for here. This is not a game based on PROJECTIONS hence "all-time" (what have you done) list. It was also not supposed to be a "head to head" type scenario as it makes players like Bob Cousy and Jerry West obsolete. How can you have criteria on an NBA all-time NBA list that makes Bob Cousy obsolete? It's absurd really. Nevertheless, this game has been totally fun and it's the first of many mini-games.

Ok now i get what you meant, but there is still a major flaw. So it's based on what have you done, which to me means How many rings you have.(which in that case people could have picked all the bench players that were on Bill Russell's Celtics, right?, I mean compared to the other players they accomplished more.)

If it's based on scoring titles, teams could have picked players like Allen Iverson. Rebounding, could have been people like Dikembe. Players that accomplished alot(depending on what your looking for). There is no "set" comparisons we have to use to decide a winner, so again this is an OPINION based game.

Definitely was fun, and what good with it be, without some constructive debating? I'm down for whatever game is next.  8)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 01:26:50 PM by EatSleepBreatheGreen »

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2009, 01:35:14 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159

I just don't feel like Wade or Paul belong on an "all-time list' I'm sorry. Maybe I overrate the old timers? but it's just too soon for me personally. Obviously many don't agree.

Obviously you have to PROJECT their careers. They are both young and if they can keep up their production like this for about 7-10 years. They WILL be some of the best. Wade is already in discussions for top 10 SGs of all time(plus Jordan was NOt available), and Paul is, well...you tell me. Isnt this the golden boy of the NBA who is going to avg. 20+ pts, 10+ assts, and 2.5 stls for the next couple of years? Plus that was the beauty of this game, combining old school and new school, to make the best team. And again, the only REAL flaw to this game is that the Voting is based on OPINION.

You and others may have missed what I was going for here. This is not a game based on PROJECTIONS hence "all-time" (what have you done) list. It was also not supposed to be a "head to head" type scenario as it makes players like Bob Cousy and Jerry West obsolete. How can you have criteria on an NBA all-time list that makes Bob Cousy obsolete? It's absurd really. Nevertheless, this game has been totally fun and it's the first of many mini-games.

Question:  Does Bill Walton deserve a place on an all-time team?

At this point, I think Wade and CP3 have already arguably had as many great seasons as Walton had.  I think part of this exercise should be in terms of looking at how great a player is at his peak.  How many players in history have *ever* had a season as good as the one Wade is coming off of, for instance?  How many point guards have had a stretch as good as CP3 has over the past few seasons?  I think both of these players have already established themselves as all-time greats, at least when judged at their peak.

I didn't draft Walton and personally wouldn't have went that direction. Roy I agree with you 90% of the time on these boards, but I feel like You are putting too much stock into fantasy numbers that the Paul and Wade put up on sub-par teams. Chris Paul should not yet be spoken in the same breathe as Bob Cousy, but according to your "head to head" comparison Chris Paul wins. That my friend is blasphemy. ;)

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2009, 01:39:43 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I didn't draft Walton and personally wouldn't have went that direction. I feel like You are putting too much stock into fantasy numbers that the Paul and Wade put up on sub-par teams. Chris Paul should not yet be spoken in the same breathe as Bob Cousy, but according to your "head to head" comparison Chris Paul wins. That my friend is blasphemy.

Come on, man.  Now Wade's and CP3's numbers are inflated?  Wade is a Finals MVP.  CP3 led his team to t56 wins two seasons ago.  These aren't exactly guys who have inflated stats because they play on a perpetual lottery team.

Right now, Chris Paul would have the 3rd most assists per game of any player in NBA history.  Wade's career points per game would rank him 10th.

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2009, 01:41:18 PM »

• Jrue Holiday
I feel like You are putting too much stock into fantasy numbers that the Paul and Wade put up on sub-par teams. Chris Paul should not yet be spoken in the same breathe as Bob Cousy, but according to your "head to head" comparison Chris Paul wins. That my friend is blasphemy. ;)

1. Wade is already a champion.
2. Paul had a terrible playoffs this year. The year before that they were 56 - 26 and lost to the Spurs in 7 games in the Conference Semis! Far from a terrible team.

Paul has not "ACCOMPLISHED" as much as Cousy, but he will most likely pass him in every statistical category possible, and if he adds rings(not just 1) he will pass Cousy in terms of All-time PGs as well. (I LOVE COOOOOZ by the way!)

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2009, 01:42:28 PM »

• Jrue Holiday
Come on, man.  Now Wade's and CP3's numbers are inflated?  Wade is a Finals MVP.  CP3 led his team to t56 wins two seasons ago.  These aren't exactly guys who have inflated stats because they play on a perpetual lottery team.

Right now, Chris Paul would have the 3rd most assists per game of any player in NBA history.  Wade's career points per game would rank him 10th.

Whoops. You posted it while I was typing. lol

(more votes)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 06:27:55 PM by EatSleepBreatheGreen »

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2009, 06:28:23 PM »

• Jrue Holiday
up for votes...

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2009, 06:36:52 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
In regards to team 5, I agree that others are elevating Paul and Wade right now. Also Erving was not a shooting guard. Wilkins and Erving were also not known for their defense.

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2009, 07:49:48 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
In regards to team 5, I agree that others are elevating Paul and Wade right now. Also Erving was not a shooting guard. Wilkins and Erving were also not known for their defense.

Fine, then roll Magic out for 48 minutes. He's still the man haha... I wouldn't say Wade is a top 20 player or anything, but as a 6th man he's certainly passable. He isn't the best sub, but he doesn't have to be.

Also, Pierce and Allen were not known for their defense either. KG turned them (Hall of Famers also) into contributing parts of an absolutely dominant defensive squad. If Team 5 has Tom Thibodeau, it's over  ;D
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2009, 08:31:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I would jst like to say that I think the membership here is holding some very serious bias against my team due to the Laker/non-Celtic/not very likeable players type make up of the team

Wilt Chamberlain - 4-time MVP, #1 All-Time in rebounds per game, minutes per game, true shooting %, rebounds, #2 All-Time in points per game. He is 57th All-Time in career assists AND HE IS A CENTER!!! Wilt was a 7'4" athletic freak of nature and the most dominat player in league history.

Kobe Bryant - the closet thing to MJ that you can get and since there's a no MJ rule that basically makes him the best SG ever left to pick from.

Karl Malone - 2-time MVP, #1 All-Time in FTA, and FTM and defensive rebounds, #2 All-Time in points, FGA, FGM, and minutes played. Many across the nation consider Malone to be the best PF ever.

Elgin Baylor - LeBron James before there was a LeBron James Baylor transformed the small forward and wing position. He was an athletic freak like the other three players already listed on this team. The guy averaged 28.4 PPG, 13.5 RPG and 4.3 APG FOR HIS CAREER!!!

Athletically and style of play-wise these four players transcend every era in basketball history and would dominate in any era. Arguments could be made all 4 are in the top 10 players All-Time.

John Stockton - Stockton and Malone playing together might have been the greatest free the monster combo in league history. They took two of the greatest assembled teams ever to the brink in the Finals, twice. Stockton is #1 All-Time in assists and steals and besides Magic is the best open court passer ever. He might be the single most underrated defensive PG ever.

Dennis Rodman - some might think this a bad pick but considering he would be doing nothing but coming off the bench as a defensive stopper, who better to bring off the bench than the game's best ever, pound for pound, inch for inch rebounder and defensive player EVER. Yes EVER!! The guy could guard and shut down four different positions and was the best rebounder in his or any era.

Tiny Archibald - Tiny at his best, his years in Cincy and KC, might have had the best four year scoring stretch for a PG in the history of the league.

Paul Pierce - instant offense off the bench. He can shoot deep, mid range, finish and draw fouls as good as anyone and when hot is good for a 15+ point one quarter explosion just about at anytime. He will be considered the Celtics best scorer ever and will like the next guy go down as one of the most under rated all time greats ever.

Elvin Hayes - are there any other guys less talked about as being great but wasgreat than Elvin Hayes. He averaged 21.5 and 12.5 for his career and was a great defnesive PF. But because, like Pierce he played most of his career on bad teams, he never got the reknown he deserved. hayes was a beast and could be considered to be the 4th or 5th PF ever.

Patrick Ewing - great defensive center that eventually developed an excellent inside game scoring. he wouldn't play much on this team considering the talent and durability of the players in front of him but given he's one of the top 7 or 8 centers ever, not bad for ust a few minutes per game.

I'm sorry but I think this is an awesome team and is getting the shaft here because this team has some all-time most hated players in Boston Celtics history. Wilt, Baylor, Kobe, Rodman, and Ewing have all been despised in this town for most if not all their careers. Malone is just not a likable guy and Stockton, Hayes and Pierce are all vastly under rated when talking best all-time.

I'd take this group against any of the other four assembled and love my chances.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 08:54:40 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2009, 08:35:40 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Wilt was a 7'4" athletic freak of nature and the most dominat player in league history.

7'4"? 

Also, I may agree that he was the most statistically dominant player, but I think that's different than simply saying he was "most dominant".  For all his dominance, he didn't win the way other great centers have.

For what it's worth, though, nick, I did have your team as second best.

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2009, 09:01:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Wilt was a 7'4" athletic freak of nature and the most dominat player in league history.

7'4"? 

Also, I may agree that he was the most statistically dominant player, but I think that's different than simply saying he was "most dominant".  For all his dominance, he didn't win the way other great centers have.

For what it's worth, though, nick, I did have your team as second best.
Ooops typo 7'1".

I think Wilt was the most dominant but his drive and ego was his problem. I think he would dominate in any era but his problem was in his head and heart. Some of that though I blame on the media notoriety and coaches that fed into his ego instead of breaking that down and forcing him to sacrifice for the greater good, something Russell got in college. I mean he was Harlem Globetrotter for crying out loud. How much more media hyped could he get.

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2009, 09:29:38 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
No Jordan on these teams?

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2009, 06:21:16 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
3rd place finish with the 5th pick, not bad.