Author Topic: Looking for input on my Fantasy baseball team  (Read 9833 times)

Re: Looking for input on my Fantasy baseball team
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 05:13:08 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

Thats a pretty ridiculous offense for a 12 team league (Hanley and Cabrera on the same team)I'd be worried about Kendrick's health - I love the player but he is never ever healthy for significant amounts of time.  are there any useful 2b on the wire?

I also dont like Hanrahan.  I know he is their 'closer' but how many save chances is that awful team really going to get?

We get to keep 4 keepers.  My carryovers are Hanley, Cabrera, Peavy, and Gonzalez. 

Basically, I was able to get the Hanley/Miggy combo on luck.  Back in '06, I took Miggy in the first round (it was our first keeper draft) and took Hanley more as an afterthought in the 22nd round.  Behold, he has a solid rookie campaign and he's a keeper.

I do have concerns over my bullpen.  Middle relievers are just as valuable as closers in this league so its hit or miss.  Usually, you can find replacements in free agency.

I doubt he is, but is JJ Putz available?  I have seen him available in a ton of standard scoring leagues, and his value would be pretty good in your league. maybe he was overlooked?

how about :

Jose Arredondo
Hong-Chih Kuo

I may like any of those three better then Hanrahan...probably  a combo of not trusting him, and thinking that those other guys are pretty lights out (and all three could step into the closer roll if the guy in front falters).

as for keeping Gonzalez :  I want him to be traded.  thats part of why I kept him as well.  the guy could hit 40+ if he were out of Petco.

Both of those guys are gone.  I gotta say, our league knows its stuff.   The free agents are a very thin bunch and people usually hold off making any waiver pickups unless its a bonafide prospect coming up from minors for fear of going back down to 12 on waiver priority.  The draft really is the make or break thing for teams.  25 rounds, so the leftovers are slim.

I'd love to see what Gonzalez could do in a hitter friendly ballpark.  He'd definitely get himself 40+ homers.

yea I guess 25 rounds is pretty extreme. 

just out of my own curiousity - does anyone own daniel bard (probably still a few months away at the earliest) or ramon ramirez? 

I dont think I have ever played in such a deep league...

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 07:08:05 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Thats a pretty ridiculous offense for a 12 team league (Hanley and Cabrera on the same team)I'd be worried about Kendrick's health - I love the player but he is never ever healthy for significant amounts of time.  are there any useful 2b on the wire?

I also dont like Hanrahan.  I know he is their 'closer' but how many save chances is that awful team really going to get?

We get to keep 4 keepers.  My carryovers are Hanley, Cabrera, Peavy, and Gonzalez. 

Basically, I was able to get the Hanley/Miggy combo on luck.  Back in '06, I took Miggy in the first round (it was our first keeper draft) and took Hanley more as an afterthought in the 22nd round.  Behold, he has a solid rookie campaign and he's a keeper.

I do have concerns over my bullpen.  Middle relievers are just as valuable as closers in this league so its hit or miss.  Usually, you can find replacements in free agency.

I doubt he is, but is JJ Putz available?  I have seen him available in a ton of standard scoring leagues, and his value would be pretty good in your league. maybe he was overlooked?

how about :

Jose Arredondo
Hong-Chih Kuo

I may like any of those three better then Hanrahan...probably  a combo of not trusting him, and thinking that those other guys are pretty lights out (and all three could step into the closer roll if the guy in front falters).

as for keeping Gonzalez :  I want him to be traded.  thats part of why I kept him as well.  the guy could hit 40+ if he were out of Petco.

Both of those guys are gone.  I gotta say, our league knows its stuff.   The free agents are a very thin bunch and people usually hold off making any waiver pickups unless its a bonafide prospect coming up from minors for fear of going back down to 12 on waiver priority.  The draft really is the make or break thing for teams.  25 rounds, so the leftovers are slim.

I'd love to see what Gonzalez could do in a hitter friendly ballpark.  He'd definitely get himself 40+ homers.

yea I guess 25 rounds is pretty extreme. 

just out of my own curiousity - does anyone own daniel bard (probably still a few months away at the earliest) or ramon ramirez? 

I dont think I have ever played in such a deep league...

Ramirez is owned. Assuming its for holds potential. 

Bard is not. 

Here's a glimpse at our "top available free agents" right now sorted by Yahoo O-rankings.

Pitchers: Ubaldo Jimenez, Ian Snell, Anthony Reyes, Aaron Cook

Batters: Miguel Tejada, Kazuo Matsui, Khalil Greene, Elijah Dukes

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 08:02:56 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

Pitchers: Ubaldo Jimenez, Ian Snell, Anthony Reyes, Aaron Cook

Batters: Miguel Tejada, Kazuo Matsui, Khalil Greene, Elijah Dukes

I am surprised Matsui isnt owned.  20 steals last year in under 100 games (due to his 'anal fissure'), 32 the year before (in just over 100 games).  He could be pretty good insurance for Kendrick.

Ubaldo is pretty good also, I think he will be better then last year (although playing in Colorado sucks)

Bard could be interesting a few months from now, but no real  reason to add him now.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 08:10:41 PM by yall hate »

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2009, 08:23:01 PM »

Offline OriginalODb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 31
Might as well get in on the fun I have a trade question

I give Jay Bruce and Brendan Morrow for Brandon Phillips and Willy Taverez (who I don't care about and would be one of my first drops if need be)

10 team H2H keeper league

http://games.espn.go.com/flb/clubhouse?leagueId=73335&teamId=10&seasonId=2009

my team

C Posada

1B Howard

2B Cano

SS Hanley

3B Atkins

OF Jacoby, Jay Bruce, Carlos Quentin, Sizemore,

Util Miguel Cabera, Nate McLouth

Bench Lowrie

P Lincecum, Haren, Lester, Brian Wilson, Bredan Morrow, Jose Arrandondo (Holds is a catagory), Heath Bell, Mike Gonzalez, Nolasco, Lilly, Bedard, Guthrie, Tommy Hanson, Hoffman

We get to keep 10 Keepers a year, I can lose the saves but I don't know if I really need to gain the steals that Phillips would give me and wether he would even be one of my keepers

any thoughts

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 08:26:16 PM »

Offline OriginalODb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 31
Alright, yesterday I threw up one of my 3 teams. Today, figured I'd throw out my keeper league team for review.  League is 12 teams, head to head.  However, we have 25 categories and a weekly 35 minimum IP.  25 categories are:

Offensive:(R,1B,2B,3B,HR,RBI,SB,BB,K,FPCT,AVG,OPS) 
Defensive:(W,L,CG,SV,ER,HR,BB,K,HLD,ERA,WHIP,K/9,QS)

C-Chris Ianetta
1B-Adrian Gonzalez
2B-Howie Kendrick
SS-Hanley Ramirez
3B-Miguel Cabrera
OF-Nate McLouth
OF-Corey Hart
OF-Brad Hawpe
Util-David Ortiz
Bench- Chris Young

SP-Jake Peavy
SP-Francisco Liriano
RP-Jose Valverde
RP-Matt Capps
P-Kevin Slowey
P-Gavin Floyd
P-Jair Jurrjens
Bench:  George Sherrill, Joel Hanrahan, Carlos Villanueva, David Price

I think Hanrahan is a safer bet than Sherrill because apparently Chris Ray (who closed in 07 then had Tommy John last year) has been much more impressive this spring but its probably 6 of one half dozen of the other

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2009, 08:28:29 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

I give Jay Bruce and Brendan Morrow for Brandon Phillips and Willy Taverez (who I don't care about and would be one of my first drops if need be)

my team

C Posada

1B Howard

2B Cano

SS Hanley

3B Atkins

Bench Lowrie

P Lincecum, Haren, Lester, Brian Wilson, Bredan Morrow, Jose Arrandondo (Holds is a catagory), Heath Bell, Mike Gonzalez, Nolasco, Lilly, Bedard, Guthrie, Tommy Hanson, Hoffman

We get to keep 10 Keepers a year, I can lose the saves but I don't know if I really need to gain the steals that Phillips would give me and wether he would even be one of my keepers

any thoughts

my initial reaction was that you should do the trade.  Then, I said, well I guess it depends what you think you are getting in phillips. the phillips of last year or the phillips from two years ago.

Then, I reviewed Bruce's stats.  21 homers in 100 games as a rookie.  that realistically should translate to 30+ this year.  his ba should go up as well.

if morrow stays healthy, he is filthy.

I think I would say no to the trade and enjoy Bruce.

Also, Cano isnt that bad of a 2b.  I'd be more concerned with trying to fix the catcher spot...

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2009, 08:35:27 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

my team

C Posada

1B Howard

2B Cano

SS Hanley

3B Atkins

Bench Lowrie

any thoughts

my initial reaction was that you should do the trade.  Then, I said, well I guess it depends what you think you are getting in phillips. the phillips of last year or the phillips from two years ago.

Then, I reviewed Bruce's stats.  21 homers in 100 games as a rookie.  that realistically should translate to 30+ this year.  his ba should go up as well.

Also, Cano isnt that bad of a 2b.  I'd be more concerned with trying to fix the catcher spot...

I agree too.  Especially in a keeper league, the ceiling on Bruce is pretty high.  Hopefully he can get batting avg up and you'd like to see his strikeouts drop.  I believe Morrow is staring the year in the pen but he's a solid candidate for, at least, holds if not saves.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2009, 08:58:22 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

my team

C Posada

1B Howard

2B Cano

SS Hanley

3B Atkins

Bench Lowrie

any thoughts

I agree too.  Especially in a keeper league, the ceiling on Bruce is pretty high.  Hopefully he can get batting avg up and you'd like to see his strikeouts drop.  I believe Morrow is staring the year in the pen but he's a solid candidate for, at least, holds if not saves.

Morrow should be the closer sooner rather then later.

Bruce's BA should go up - at least based on AAA numbers (300+ first year as a 20 year old, 364 as a 21 year old)