Poll

Should we expand the lottery? (Voting locked on Fri, Oct 7, 5 PM PST

No. Keep it as is (bottom 5).
Yes, expand it to bottom 8.
Yes, expand it to bottom 10.
Yes, expand it to include all non-playoff teams.
We should do away with the lottery altogether.

Author Topic: Lucky17's Yahoo! FBB H2H League: 2011-12 season: Draft on Wed, Oct 12, noon EST?  (Read 164308 times)

Re: Lucky17's Yahoo! Fantasy Basketball H2H League info/voting
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2009, 12:33:31 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Re: tanking: for the short term, I am assuming roster control of any team suspected of tanking. Managers of teams will still be able to make waiver claims, propose and accept trades, and post in the league.

Additionally, I think we could also vote as a league on how to punish blatant tanking for this season. I also think an automatic drop of 5 slots in the draft order is sufficient penalty.

Further, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your input and participation, with the hope that it will continue during this last month of the NBA season. During the next few weeks, while people are still attentive, I'd like to hammer out details for next season, including which managers should return and which shouldn't.

Not to be a jerk, but I am totally fine with removing those three members of the league who have not particpated/are actively tanking.

The bottom line is that if you arent active you cant get better.  Just looking over my trades in both leagues this year, I have moved a bunch of players I got off the waiver wire for quality players (not trying to toot my horn, but good players are often available).

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2009, 01:21:29 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
As much as I enjoy publicly calling out Blake and others, I don't believe any penalty should be imposed this season. In fact, I think Blake ought to be let of the hook, and his roster unlocked. He's an active manager. I like to knock his competitive spirit but I don't have another bad thing to say about him.

Conversely, iRONLion (did I get that right?) hasn't made a line up change since late November, so do what you will with his team.

Hobbs and Y'all Hate have both made good suggestions for '09-'10.

I think the way to combat tanking is to put penalties on it.  Something like every team deemed to be tanking automatically moves down five positions in the final draft order.

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2009, 01:32:48 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
As much as I enjoy publicly calling out Blake and others, I don't believe any penalty should be imposed this season. In fact, I think Blake ought to be let of the hook, and his roster unlocked. He's an active manager. I like to knock his competitive spirit but I don't have another bad thing to say about him.

except the blatant tanking directly effects the top of the standings.  the difference between the 4,5 and 6 seed is a grand total of a game and half.  Blake's tank job has insured that Roy, at number 4 faces little to no threat of losing his position to 5 and 6.  While that isnt a huge difference, what if it amounted to a team leapfrogging the 6th seed and getting in the playoffs?  or leapfrogging the 2 seed and getting a 'cheap' bye week.

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2009, 01:43:53 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

except the blatant tanking directly effects the top of the standings.  the difference between the 4,5 and 6 seed is a grand total of a game and half.  Blake's tank job has insured that Roy, at number 4 faces little to no threat of losing his position to 5 and 6.  While that isnt a huge difference, what if it amounted to a team leapfrogging the 6th seed and getting in the playoffs?  or leapfrogging the 2 seed and getting a 'cheap' bye week.

True. It's not just the bottom of the standings at stake here. Next week, blake plays YallHate, so continued tanking could have affected the matchups for the 1st round of the playoffs.

Sorry I didn't act a day sooner on this: blake has held out several healthy players from tonight's games.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2009, 01:46:43 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

True. It's not just the bottom of the standings at stake here. Next week, blake plays YallHate, so continued tanking could have affected the matchups for the 1st round of the playoffs.

Sorry I didn't act a day sooner on this: blake has held out several healthy players from tonight's games.

yea, so I am apparently hurting myself. haha.  maybe tanking isnt so bad, lol...jk.

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2009, 02:15:40 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I just want to be clear that blake has been doing this for weeks.  It's not like he just started it to benefit my team, or that my team is the only one that will profit.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2009, 02:18:34 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

I just want to be clear that blake has been doing this for weeks.  It's not like he just started it to benefit my team, or that my team is the only one that will profit.

No, I just meant I could have been more on the ball about this, especially given blake's performance last season.

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2009, 02:23:59 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Man I feel like the fat kid during recess.

I am tanking.  I am active.  Those are both true.  I have been going with the youth movement from day 1.  I don't say that this is necessarily a good thing for the league in general, but for me it is great.  I wouldn't be tanking near as bad, but the inactive managers have made it very hard to get a good draft pick.  If they were active, I would be playing more of my players and making it closer.  Seeing as this isn't a very deep draft there is a big difference between those top 3 picks and picks 6-10.  

That being said, kicking me out of the league would be pretty lame.  I have a different stategy than most.  I feel that with a little luck in this years draft, I will have a strong team and will be able to compete.  I just didn't want to be stuck in purgatory of Lucky17's h2h league.  If I were to guess, that is probably where my old team is in the points based league.  He probably has a decent team, but probably won't be contending for the top spot for a very long time.  I'm pretty sure my team will be there before his.  No knock on him, but the draft is my only way to get to the top.

Does this affect the top of the standings? yes.  Though to be honest pretty much everyone has had a pretty easy run of it against me.  I can't imagine that anybody has actually lost a head to head week with me.

bla bla bla...Until we make restrictions on tanking, we can't start imposing rules up in the middle of the season.  I'm all for playing with the rules.  Let's just make the rules first.  So, I propose that anybody who is deliberately tanking next year be kicked out immediately and we have a waiting list for people who want to get in the league ready.  Anybody disagree with that idea?

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2009, 02:35:18 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Yea I won't be as happy if someone leapfrogs me into the #2 seed due to the tankers.

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2009, 02:41:02 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
FTR Im still tryin to unload Camby. He'll take a contender over the top.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2009, 02:43:14 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
I just didn't want to be stuck in purgatory of Lucky17's h2h league.  If I were to guess, that is probably where my old team is in the points based league.  He probably has a decent team, but probably won't be contending for the top spot for a very long time.  I'm pretty sure my team will be there before his.  No knock on him, but the draft is my only way to get to the top.

The manager who inherited your team in the points league is in 8th place, with virtually the same roster as yours. Just saying.

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2009, 02:44:09 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Yea I won't be as happy if someone leapfrogs me into the #2 seed due to the tankers.

Didn't you beat up on one of the inactive managers, who didn't play half his roster, 9-2 last week?  Everyone is benefiting equally from the "tankers", because we're all playing them.

I think it's actually more unfair to take control of these teams and give them full rosters a couple of weeks before the playoffs, when other managers people are competing against have already had their cakewalk weeks.

Also, I tend to agree with blake's reasoning here:

bla bla bla...Until we make restrictions on tanking, we can't start imposing rules up in the middle of the season.  I'm all for playing with the rules.  Let's just make the rules first.  So, I propose that anybody who is deliberately tanking next year be kicked out immediately and we have a waiting list for people who want to get in the league ready.  Anybody disagree with that idea?

I'm fairly sympathetic to the tanking thing, if it's within the rules.  I frankly can't remember if we discussed the issue before the season, but I'd be a hypocrite to put up too much of a stink since I did the exact same thing last season.  I do think the rules should be adjusted for next season, though, and the *inactive* managers shouldn't be asked back.  blake should stay.

However, I've got no problem with Lucky's decision.  The top six teams are pretty much locked in, and if somebody jumps mean, all it means is that I'll end up with a better draft pick.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2009, 02:46:51 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923

Didn't you beat up on one of the inactive managers, who didn't play half his roster, 9-2 last week?  Everyone is benefiting equally from the "tankers", because we're all playing them.

I think it's actually more unfair to take control of these teams and give them full rosters a couple of weeks before the playoffs, when other managers people are competing against have already had their cakewalk weeks.

bla bla bla...Until we make restrictions on tanking, we can't start imposing rules up in the middle of the season.  I'm all for playing with the rules.  Let's just make the rules first.  So, I propose that anybody who is deliberately tanking next year be kicked out immediately and we have a waiting list for people who want to get in the league ready.  Anybody disagree with that idea?

However, I've got no problem with Lucky's decision.  The top six teams are pretty much locked in, and if somebody jumps mean, all it means is that I'll end up with a better draft pick.

There is a difference between an inactive owner, and someone who takes almost all their players and puts them on the bench.

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2009, 02:49:46 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

There is a difference between an inactive owner, and someone who takes almost all their players and puts them on the bench.

Eh...  if you're competing against 8 or so healthy players with an inactive GM, or against 3 or 4 with a tanking GM, does it ultimately make much of a difference?  Anybody going up against H.C. still has a huge games played advantage at the end of the week, since he hasn't been playing 5 of his guys at all.  H.C. isn't the only inactive manager, either.

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2009, 02:53:09 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
The manager who inherited your team in the points league is in 8th place, with virtually the same roster as yours. Just saying.

That is my point.  The manager is in 8th place.  Will end up with the mid round pick of the draft.

I will at worst end up with the 5th pick.  So I end up in the better place at the start of next year.  He had the immediate satisfaction of competing this year, and his team will probably end up around the same place next year.  I am pretty sure with a good draft I will be in better than 8th place next year.