Author Topic: Stood behind this team too long!!!  (Read 15535 times)

Re: Stood behind this team too long!!!
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2014, 05:41:01 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Ok. I'll assume that the two Hall of Famers also aren't two Celtics, who are also different from the guy who never made it to the All Star Game.

Player D is the player that I'd guess never made an All Star team, and (bonus points) I think it's Stephon Marbury.

I think player A is one of the Hall of Famers, and that Player C is the other one.

The Celtics, I think, are Players F and B
Your answers are... interesting.  I'll post the players shortly.

« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2014, 05:44:41 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
... do I have to apologize for confusing someone for Starburry? I'm shooting from the hip here.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2014, 09:46:14 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Your dogged persistence and loyalty sure are admirable, DesertDweller.  It is quite an accomplishment that you managed to stand behind this team for a whole twelve games.

You missed the point and time frame entirely, Celtics18.  first of all I have been a C's fan before the Bird era but this is my first year posting on this forum.  when I referred to "this team" I meant the team of the Brad Stevens era.
I made one huge error when I said this team could win with the players we currently had on the roster.  that mistake was, I had placed Rondo into an elite position with PP and KG and man was I wrong!!!  Rondo is what's holding this team back and the sooner he's traded the better.  not just for what elite player he might bring to this team but it would cut down on all the missed passes, errors and lost games this guy has caused. Rondo is finished and can no longer make the passes he once could and his shooting all around, from FG% to FT% has gone straight down hill. actually, Danny should have pulled the trigger a long time ago on Rajon because he probably will not get us anything and now he's got his hooks deep in Stevens!!!
That's a good one  ;D
You know, what might be causing confusion here is your avatar. Most people automatically assume you can't be older than 16  :P
So, do you prefer Bakunin or Kropotkin?

« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2014, 10:00:25 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
... do I have to apologize for confusing someone for Starburry? I'm shooting from the hip here.

Interesting aside - after all these years, Marbury seems to have found himself in the C-League (China).  At current rate, he will win the league MVP. 

« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2014, 10:29:21 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Interesting aside - after all these years, Marbury seems to have found himself in the C-League (China).  At current rate, he will win the league MVP.

Even more interesting (I think).....

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/05/video-of-play-i-was-marbury-featuring-stephon-marbury-from-china-we-got-that/

« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2014, 10:31:44 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Did Stevens say we were going to win a ton of games this year?  No.  Did Ainge?  No.  Is it realistic to think that we were going to?  No. Because the Suns were supposed to be a bad team last year and then were good, is it realistic to think any bad team can suddenly be good like that?  No.  Does this song from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory sound like a lot of Celtics fans?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRTkCHE1sS4

Yes.  Especially the "Don't care how, I want it now!" part.  I'm surprised I don't see that as a forum topic title on the side panel right now.

We will be a decent team by 2018.  Let's be realistic about the talent on this team.  At least they're fun to watch!

They are?

« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2014, 11:44:07 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Your dogged persistence and loyalty sure are admirable, DesertDweller.  It is quite an accomplishment that you managed to stand behind this team for a whole twelve games.

You missed the point and time frame entirely, Celtics18.  first of all I have been a C's fan before the Bird era but this is my first year posting on this forum.  when I referred to "this team" I meant the team of the Brad Stevens era.
I made one huge error when I said this team could win with the players we currently had on the roster.  that mistake was, I had placed Rondo into an elite position with PP and KG and man was I wrong!!!  Rondo is what's holding this team back and the sooner he's traded the better.  not just for what elite player he might bring to this team but it would cut down on all the missed passes, errors and lost games this guy has caused. Rondo is finished and can no longer make the passes he once could and his shooting all around, from FG% to FT% has gone straight down hill. actually, Danny should have pulled the trigger a long time ago on Rajon because he probably will not get us anything and now he's got his hooks deep in Stevens!!!
That's a good one  ;D
You know, what might be causing confusion here is your avatar. Most people automatically assume you can't be older than 16  :P
So, do you prefer Bakunin or Kropotkin?

Bakunin, obviously. Anyway, where's this 'reveal'?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2014, 12:07:04 AM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen aren't walking thru that door! THAT is when Rondo was at his best. When he had a great shooter (Allen) a great scorer (PP) and a great defender (KG) at his disposal. Although KG would often say that Rondo was the man on that team,  they ( the older guys) would simply say that because the wanted to give the kid confidence. He wasn't needed to be the "leader". There were 3 guys that were capable of taking over a game at any time. Basically, they made Rondo appear better than he really was. You know how on your side view mirrors on your car there is this saying: THE OBJECTS IN THIS MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR TO BE. Rondo was worse than he appeared to be! The MIRROR (the big 3) made him better than he appeared to be. He's turnover prone, plays no defense (anymore) and can't shoot...FG's or FT's.  His assist "sometimes" are still highlight worthy and he once in a while comes up on an opposing guard that he can take advantage of but he is not a THREAT at ANY point! A Quality center and a point guard who can score/attack when the game is on the line would be a HUGE plus for this team! I dont think we're far off but this team doesn't fit Rondo and Rondo doesn't fit this team. I believe the front office sees this as well...at least I hope the do!
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2014, 12:31:45 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
Did Stevens say we were going to win a ton of games this year?  No.  Did Ainge?  No.  Is it realistic to think that we were going to?  No. Because the Suns were supposed to be a bad team last year and then were good, is it realistic to think any bad team can suddenly be good like that?  No.  Does this song from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory sound like a lot of Celtics fans?

Yes.  Especially the "Don't care how, I want it now!" part.  I'm surprised I don't see that as a forum topic title on the side panel right now.

We will be a decent team by 2018.  Let's be realistic about the talent on this team.  At least they're fun to watch!

They are?
I think they're fun to watch when Smart is playing.  Does that count?  A little less fun when he's not around.

« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2014, 12:33:59 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
Why?

Really it is quite simple....in the NBA in the 4th quarter, your best player has the ball in his hands and is expected to make plays and shots.

If you are going to say that Rondo is our best player, then you also should expect him to be THAT GUY.  And he can't be THAT GUY because he CAN'T SHOOT.

More importantly, in the 4th quarter, teams that win have guys that can draw fouls and get to the line.  Our best player, who always has the ball, not only doesn't get to the line but when he does, shoots FTs worse than a bad high school player.

Being 30% from the line is inexcusable.  Sorry.  And that is KILLLING  this team.

There are many different problems that are KILLING this team. Rondo from the line is just one of them.

How many threads have been lamenting our lack of a rim protector? Pretty much everyone agrees that this team doesn't have an acceptable starting center.

Rondo played well in the Portland game, but Bradley,Sullinger, and Green were a collective 5-21 from 3 point land. Bradley and Sullinger have both been very inconsistent from deep in the early going.

Olynyk's been useless the last several games outside the 3rd quarter in Memphis. I wouldn't be surprised if he lost his starting spot to Bass who's outplayed him lately.

Any time Turner and Pressey come in and don't kill us, that's like found money.

Now Rondo isn't an ISO guy, and he was miserable in the 4th quarter today, but this practice of scapegoating player du jour after every loss has already gotten tired, and it's only November.
Spot on about Turner and Pressey. I cringe every time Pressey shots a 3. I think he missed 2 in a row in that fourth quarter. There has to be a better backup point guard available then what we have. The guy shoots 25 percent and not afraid to shoot crucial shots.

There is a better backup PG. He's sitting right now with an ankle injury.
But why is Pressey even on this team? There has to better players that got cut from other teams better then him.

Because Pressey is a good backup point guard.
He plays especially well with Olynyk.
How can you say a 25 percent shooter is a good backup?

And if he only plays well with Olynyk and not other players, then maybe that's saying more about Olynyk then Phil.

The team is a plus 5.9 with Pressey on the court.

He is a very good backup point guard.

http://www.82games.com/1415/1415BOS.HTM
Olynyk had a much better +- then Sullinger yesterday. Yet Olynyk had a terrible game and Sullinger had the best game. Did they mess up the +- or is it maybe over rated?

Team PERs show who makes his teammates better.

Pressey is a good backup point guard and it shows in the numbers.

Pressey is a undersized borderline nba player, and you can quote every mis-used stat you want and that doesn't change the truth.

It is always funny to see how people react when the facts don't fit their worldview.

Typically it's by ignoring them and/or copying and pasted data that's completely devoid of context.
Here's some fun copy pasted data that's void of context for you statheads.
PlayerFG%PtsRebAstStl
A0.43713.23.54.21.2
B0.4920.63.37.51.8
C0.44718.34.95.51.7
D0.40821.43.18.10.7
E0.468226.93.31.1
F0.49520.812.12.10.6
G0.46719.737.11.9

TP to the first person who can answer any of these correctly.
1. Pick the 2 Hall of Famers
2. Pick the 2 Celtics
3. Pick the guy who never made an all-star team.

I can add PER if you think that'll help you, lol.
A. Dennis Johnson 84
B. Dana Barros 95
C. Scottie Pippen 97
D. Nick Van Exel 02
E. Glenn Robinson 01
F. Antonio McDyess 01
G. Derek Harper 91

1. A,C
2. A, B
3. G

TP to D.O.S for getting question 1 right (by correctly guessing that that worst stats represent a HOF'er  :)  )
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 12:43:35 AM by PickNRoll »