Author Topic: Has commenting dropped off because of this crappy new design?  (Read 26811 times)

Re: Has commenting dropped off because of this crappy new design?
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2012, 03:14:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This latest update has caused me to avoid talking to my wife.

I've heard that avoiding one's wife is the easiest way to have a long and happy marriage.  Score one for CelticsBlog!

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2012, 03:19:20 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Maybe it's because more stories are being published - but maybe it's because of this wretched design that took the place of what was in-place and working just fine before.

It seems like comments on regular day-to-day posts are lower than before the design changes.

I love this new bleacher report attitude SBNation has adopted, emphasizing money and advertising over quality user experience.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it
Maybe it's because of crappy thread titles

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2012, 03:20:36 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I don't think my forum posting has been affected, but I will admit i completely skip the front page now and just go directly to the forums. I just hate the front page.
This. Which is a pity, because the blog has some good writers.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2012, 03:39:49 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
we can't please everyone, so that's why it is a good thing there's a forums to give folks the option to "skip the front page" and engage in the community here

also, I've never claimed to be a great writer, but I think I do the blog thing pretty well - when I'm not being too lazy that is ;)
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
front page is terrible imo.  i skip it all together now, which i never really did b4 the changes.  i used to check out a few things on the front page here and there is something sparked my interest. 

i agree with what others have already said.....no real news/interviews/player access provided, reposting, kruddy layout, and the whole bleacher report comparison fits imo.

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2012, 04:18:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
no real news/interviews/player access provided

Who is paying the salary for the reporters who are going to start getting these scoops / interviewers?

For a fan-run blog where authors and contributors don't get salaries, I'm pretty happy with the quality of the content we put out there.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2012, 04:31:56 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I too don't usually click on anything on the front pae now, except to click on a Forums post  ;D

However, I'm not going to complain about it.  This community is free to its' members, and I appreciate the opportunity to trade thoughts with fellow Celtics fans.

I also like the chatroom during games. 

« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2012, 04:32:35 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
The content is good, the writers are good, but the layout and slowness is what kills me. I just don't understand why this hasn't been scrapped?

Jeff, are you considering leaving SBN?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2012, 04:38:05 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I hope I'm not coming off as jerk because clearly I'm a fan of this site. My problem is that now when I instinctively slam into my keyboard "www.celticsblog.com" I face palm knowing that I'll be sitting through 2 minutes of lag.

I literally had to reprogram myself to "forums.celticsblog.com"
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2012, 04:41:14 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
It runs so slow on any computer I've been on, so now I actually go to other sites bc I've had enough of Celticsblog freezing my laptop and smart phone.

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2012, 04:44:34 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
It's free. Some of the front page content is unparalelled - for example Roy's Salary Cap articles, draft analysis, etc. Great fan perspectives. I feel if you are following the Celts here you might be a deep weeds guy, then the front page blog won't have as much value as the discussion (cause you already read the other cites about celts.) But one step down the forum lurker / more casual fan - the blog is a great jumping off point.

Are you guys using Chrome? I don't see a perf problem with Chrome on my iMac and broadband.

« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2012, 05:07:56 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

Who is paying the salary for the reporters who are going to start getting these scoops / interviewers?

For a fan-run blog where authors and contributors don't get salaries, I'm pretty happy with the quality of the content we put out there.

it isn't my concern if anyone gets paid, as i am not on the staff, but am a "consumer" per se.  consumer, not that i pay for the service, but that my (any everyone) hits to the site generate revenue through advertisements.

it is just an observation on my, and others, part that the front page doesn't serve a newsworthy purpose imo.

the forums are good, the front page stinks.  just my opinion

people are providing input, so im providing mine

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2012, 05:08:38 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
It's free. Some of the front page content is unparalelled - for example Roy's Salary Cap articles, draft analysis, etc. Great fan perspectives. I feel if you are following the Celts here you might be a deep weeds guy, then the front page blog won't have as much value as the discussion (cause you already read the other cites about celts.) But one step down the forum lurker / more casual fan - the blog is a great jumping off point.

Are you guys using Chrome? I don't see a perf problem with Chrome on my iMac and broadband.

Same here, in reference to Chrome. I've never had a problem with the design if I've opened it in Google Chrome. It's always opened smoothly with it for me.

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2012, 05:12:06 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

it isn't my concern if anyone gets paid, as i am not on the staff, but am a "consumer" per se.  consumer, not that i pay for the service, but that my (any everyone) hits to the site generate revenue through advertisements.

it is just an observation on my, and others, part that the front page doesn't serve a newsworthy purpose imo.

... and I'm providing my input, which is that your expectations for a fan blog might be a little high, if you're expecting regular scoops and interviews (both of which have been featured on CB, by the way.)

The content we provide is generally a collation of news from other sources, and author insight.  That's pretty much the blog model.

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2012, 05:15:43 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

... and I'm providing my input, which is that your expectations for a fan blog might be a little high, if you're expecting regular scoops and interviews (both of which have been featured on CB, by the way.)

The content we provide is generally a collation of news from other sources, and author insight.  That's pretty much the blog model.

i understand, which is why i dont waste time with the front page and go right to the forums, which i like.