Author Topic: Wow , Gilbert Arenas is playing AWFUL in Orlando ( What a Dumb Trade)  (Read 10506 times)

Re: Wow , Gilbert Arenas is playing AWFUL in Orlando ( What a Dumb Trade)
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 01:52:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I knew he was playing bad when he first got traded to Orlando, but he just continues to struggle . Over his last 5 games his numbers are

18MPG, 8PPG, 2APG,2 RPG,1.6TO,35%FG, 31% 3PT FG    
  62%FT

His number overll with the Magic in 13 games is

22MPG, 9.5 PPG, 4APG,2.7 RPG,2.5 TO,37% FG 34%3PTFG
 65%FT

This was such a stupid and unnecessary trade for the Magic to make . They already have the same kind of PG with Nelson who is younger , much more efficient and durable . Plus he doesn't have that horrible contract Arenas has.

The Magic would have been much better off just holding onto Rashard Lewis after they made that trade with the Suns. He plays very well with Hedo and would have at least given the Magic some big man depth by allowing Brandon Bass to come off the bench .  He also has one fewer year than Gilber Arenas on his contract.

They could have easily picked up a backup PG without taking on that horrible contract of Arenas .

Good analysis. TP.

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 01:55:33 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I NEVER thought Arenas was that good.

I was happy when the Magic traded for him, no good (for them) could come from him being there, either on or off the court.

Were you watching him destroy us single handedly a few seasons ago, albeit pre-KG when we stunk?  He was one of the best 1 on 1 players in NBA, and could score from just about anywhere on the court.  Knee injuries have diminished his game greatly.

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 01:59:06 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Rashard Lewis may be overpaid, but he's not a bad player...much better at SF than PF, IMO.

I don't understand this trade, though...there must have been something about RL in Orlando that was a problem.  He's a better player than Gilbert, and his deal is one year shorter (I think).  Makes no sense.

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 02:13:33 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
This trade was more personal than about basketball...Otis Smith saw an opportunity to help his friend Gilbert get out DC and went with it.I don't think this deal would've ever been consider by the Magic otherwise.

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 02:16:05 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This trade was more personal than about basketball...Otis Smith saw an opportunity to help his friend Gilbert get out DC and went with it.I don't think this deal would've ever been consider by the Magic otherwise.

Things like this is why a team should get a new GM.  You were hired to make decisions best for the team, not best for your buddy. 

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 02:33:13 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff

Things like this is why a team should get a new GM.  You were hired to make decisions best for the team, not best for your buddy.  
I have a gut feeling if this project doesn't work this time and if Howard still decides to leave the Magic O.Smith days will be numbered.After seeing who the new GM for the Suns is i see how he manage to pull the latest deal with the Suns off.Their new GM is an xPiston role player that is new at being a GM for starters and might be a friend and xteammate of Otis Smith.

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 03:03:34 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Things like this is why a team should get a new GM.  You were hired to make decisions best for the team, not best for your buddy.  
I have a gut feeling if this project doesn't work this time and if Howard still decides to leave the Magic O.Smith days will be numbered.After seeing who the new GM for the Suns is i see how he manage to pull the latest deal with the Suns off.Their new GM is an xPiston role player that is new at being a GM for starters and might be a friend and xteammate of Otis Smith.

...and I think they were both in a movie with Kevin Bacon?

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 03:26:42 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
You don't think it's still too early to tell? I mean, I know the Orlando Magic had a lengthy winning streak going a few weeks ago and I haven't been paying too much attention to individual stats this season. Maybe Arenas was ready to become a role player on a playoff-level team, though at only 9.5 ppg you wouldn't be able to determine whether he is playing well or not because he is a guy who has averaged 22.2 ppg so far in his career. Methinks the Magic may not be implimenting him enough, though that doesn't mean that he could not be traded again before the deadline.
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 03:36:19 PM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
Orlando needs to win now to convince Dwight to stay past 2012. They weren't going to win the title with the team they had so they took a big gamble. Gilbert has far more upside than what they traded, Otis was with Gilbert when he was at his peak, so he knows how good Gilbs can be. He swung for the fences with this trade and right now it's looking like a pop out. We'll see in the playoffs though. If Gilbs gets hot he can carry a team offensively.

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 03:54:01 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
They won 12 straight games after those trades.   He may be playing horrible but the end result of the trade was solid making the premise of this post quite illogical.

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2011, 03:54:17 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff

...and I think they were both in a movie with Kevin Bacon?
might be just that.

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2011, 03:57:40 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I still have a hunch that Nelson and JJ will be traded for a bashing, bruising PF/ big man which will open up the starting slot for Arenas...

In fact I have an anonymous source that told me so, it should be on twitter any second then deemed real by every major sports media outlet there is.

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2011, 04:00:55 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I think that any gm that caters too much to a star player is in trouble, and there seem to be a number of players that expect to be catered to.

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2011, 04:58:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Initial thought was that I agree 1 million percent with the OP but, we aren't even half way through the regular season and I can't help think Arenas could become dangerous in the playoffs if he gets "it"(the Magic way of doing things), fits in and gets hot.

I will reserve final judgment until after the playoffs or until Gilbert re-injures himself but for now it sure does look like a complete and utter steal for the Wiz.

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2011, 05:00:42 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I will reserve final judgment until after the playoffs or until Gilbert re-injures himself but for now it sure does look like a complete and utter steal for the Wiz.
I think he's still hurt, Gilbert completely lacks any lift or explosion. At this point after three years I think its fair to doubt whether or not it ever comes back.