Author Topic: Putting Together The Best Press In NBA History  (Read 4423 times)

Putting Together The Best Press In NBA History
« on: February 15, 2009, 02:33:07 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Ok, guys, so this question came to me in the shower:

If you could take five NBA players from any era put them together on a team, and then press with them for a full 48 minutes, which five players would you pick, and what kind of press?

Personally, I would choose a 1-2-1-1 press, which is a press that puts on man on the ball, two men at the elbows, one man at the three point line, and one man back deep protecting against the fastbreak.

I would put Hakeem Olajuwon on the ball so he could disrupt the inbounds play with his length, and then, once they pass it into the corner, he could smother the man with his trap.

The job of the men at the elbows is to let the other team catch thi inbounds pass, but only in the corner, and then cut off the sideline and trap the player with the ball in the corner with help from the man who was on the ball. The other wing player then assumes the role of the "stealer", because the only pass you allow out of the trap is a pass back to the inbounder, and its the other wing's job to let that pass look open, but then flash in and steal it.

Because speed and athletic ability are key for the elbow positions, I would choose Michael Jordan and Lebron James. They're big enough to make a good trap, and quick enough to flash in front of that pass and steal it.

For the man roaming back around the three point line, I would choose Rajon Rondo. He's lightning quick, so if they break the press with a long pass over the top he can get back, or maybe even snatch the ball out of the air with his huge hands. His speed and great hands make him perfectly suited to play the role in the press that requires the most ground to be covered.

All the way back protecting the basket I would put Bill Russell, the best shot blocker that the league has ever seen. He understands angles, has a great leap, is a solid all-around defender, not just a shot blocker, and if he made a play and job the ball back from the other team, he could throw a mean outlet pass down the floor and get our team attacking on the other end.

What press would you guys pick? What players? Why?

Enlighten me.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

Re: Putting Together The Best Press In NBA History
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 03:55:42 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
I am going to keep it simple and pick the greatest man on man defenders and go with a man on man d.

Since its man on man i won't necessarily pick a big at the line.

I am going with Don Chaney at big guard. He was absurdly long, physical and smart. Tough to pick him over dennis Johnson or Walt Frazier or Jordan or Moncrief but on defense i think he had the edge.
At the point I am picking Rajon Rondo. It may seem early but if he stay healthy I think he becomes the greatest man on man point guard defender.

Small forward is toughest. I look back over 4 decades and think I have to go with Dennis Rodman. He'd be able to keep up the pace and was super physical too.

I am going to cheat at pf and center. I am going with William Russell at pf over kg. He'd be as intense and control everything he could, and know what to let go. I want Russell in the game and I can't have him be my center because i have another guy i mind for that.

Have to go with mutombo at center. I could have gone with Hakeem, russell, or found a place for Kg but I want a center that can stop the opposing center down low, for sure, no matter who he is but alos be able to follow him out to the three line.

so Rondo, Chaney, Rodman, Russell, Mutumbo. I won' be able to score;>(

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 06:07:44 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I disagree with your Mutombo selection, wahz. IMO, he wasn't strong enough to defend the low post straight up that well. Well, he was good, but not elite, I think. I'd rather go with David Robinson, Mark Eaton or Hakeem to pair with Russell.

To play a FC pressure defence, I'd go with Payton, Sid Moncrief, McKey, Rodman, Garnett (post-1980 players only). Plenty of alternative choices to make though.

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 06:40:30 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
I disagree with your Mutombo selection, wahz. IMO, he wasn't strong enough to defend the low post straight up that well. Well, he was good, but not elite, I think. I'd rather go with David Robinson, Mark Eaton or Hakeem to pair with Russell.

To play a FC pressure defence, I'd go with Payton, Sid Moncrief, McKey, Rodman, Garnett (post-1980 players only). Plenty of alternative choices to make though.

I like the Payton selection. He was a great defensive PG; I might have to replace rondo with GP if I was running a man press.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 08:18:45 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101

I would have gone with Hakeem, but Mutumbo played him well in real life, 12-15, with a significantly worse supporting cast. Mutumbo won the all defense award more than any player. He forced Hakeem to shoot 49% vs his career % of .512 and did that with much less help from defensive rotation.

Having said all that, Hakleem is the obvious choice, I just think Mutumbo was tougher down low, and not as good out to the 3 line.

I am/was a long time Sonics ticketholder. GP is a good first choice.And McKey is a nice choice too.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 10:35:23 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
Payton/Jordan/Pippen/KG/Olajuwon.  You aren't getting the ball past half court, and on the off chance you do you aren't getting a shot up.  You could sub Russell for Olajuwon if you just wanted to go for overkill.

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 03:00:32 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Payton/Jordan/Pippen/KG/Olajuwon.  You aren't getting the ball past half court, and on the off chance you do you aren't getting a shot up.  You could sub Russell for Olajuwon if you just wanted to go for overkill.

Ah, but what if you put together the best press BREAK team possible? Who would win? Remember, great offense always beats great defense....

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 07:07:05 AM »

Offline blueygreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
I can understand the GP pick, but Rondo? He's got very active hands and is good at poking the ball away, but those are normally after his man gets past him, which is a gamble you can't afford in a press like this where the aim is to trap the opposing ball-handler on the sideline and force a bad pass. That said, I think Lindsey Hunter would be another great choice in a press, the guy can run his own 1-man press.

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 08:31:16 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
1. Havlicek
2. K.C. Jones
3. Russell
4. Rodman
5. Garnett

One thing is for sure: Havlicek wouldn't even be breathing hard and would be ready to go another 48. 

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 10:13:19 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I might throw Satch Sanders into the mix.  He was probably the best shut down defender of the C's dynasty years. 

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 10:24:58 AM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187

Ah, but what if you put together the best press BREAK team possible? Who would win? Remember, great offense always beats great defense....

I can't tell if you're being tongue-in-cheek or not, but if not I highly question that offense-beating-defense quote.  Nevertheless, I'll take that 5 on either side of the ball.  What?  Payton, Jordan, Pippen, KG, and Olajuwon?  That offense would never take a 3-pointer, and would still lead the league in offensive efficiency.  Just a patently unfair team all around.

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 10:39:55 AM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
1-2-1-1 press. garnett on the ball,jordan and payton pressing guards,pippen at halfcourt and big bill russell to protect the basket

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 11:27:27 AM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
I don't think any group of players, as good defenders as they are can press for 48 minutes. Any NBA team can figure it out and destroy it after a few times down the court. Pitino tried to do it with the C's when he was here and it was an utter failure. The press needs to be used a few times in certain situations for it to succeed. Even pressing one player, Eddie House, for instance may work once or twice, but after that it's useless.

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 05:37:38 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

I can't tell if you're being tongue-in-cheek or not, but if not I highly question that offense-beating-defense quote.  Nevertheless, I'll take that 5 on either side of the ball.  What?  Payton, Jordan, Pippen, KG, and Olajuwon?  That offense would never take a 3-pointer, and would still lead the league in offensive efficiency.  Just a patently unfair team all around.

No, i was being totally serious. Its much easier to get around someone than stay in front of them. The offensive players knows where they're going, the defender usually does not. Sometime people who are great offensive players just find a way to score, or find a way to get the ball downcourt. I think the right combination of players could break even the best press.