Author Topic: "[KG] helps the ones he likes"  (Read 12754 times)

Re: "[KG] helps the ones he likes"
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 04:59:29 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
if it's SHelden that would explain the inexplicable move of benching him during the regular season last year

inexplicable? really? Did you see what Shelden did when he got into the game during the finals? He almost single handedly cost us the game from his incompetence.

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 05:20:58 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
if it's SHelden that would explain the inexplicable move of benching him during the regular season last year

He sucked.

;D

Come on, Change!  Tell us how you really feel.

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 05:24:57 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Agree on POB, but we had another recent camp invitee named Chris Johnson so could be him. Who was the other huge overweight retread big from last years training camp? We were all excited about him on the blog and suddenly he dropped off the map.

Definitely dont want to rule out Leon here. I dont think he would be able to deal wih KG being in his face. To much intensity for Powe.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 05:29:45 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Agree on POB, but we had another recent camp invitee named Chris Johnson so could be him. Who was the other huge overweight retread big from last years training camp? We were all excited about him on the blog and suddenly he dropped off the map.

Definitely dont want to rule out Leon here. I dont think he would be able to deal wih KG being in his face. To much intensity for Powe.

Lol I think your refering to a Mr. Michael "Sweettooth" Sweetney. He had good hands and some good moves around the hoop. But he looked like he dined on midgets and small children in the offseason. Man was he a wide body. Ex Knickerbocker who litterally and figuratively ate his way out if the league ****.

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 05:33:01 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

Lol I think your refering to a Mr. Michael "Sweettooth" Sweetney. He had good hands and some good moves around the hoop. But he looked like he dined on midgets and small children in the offseason. Man was he a wide body. Ex Knickerbocker who litterally and figuratively ate his way out if the league ****.

That's him, Sweets.

He could swallow Nate whole, a little butter on his head and down the hatch.

Thanx
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 05:52:18 PM »

Offline Hila

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 25
If anyone wants a refresher on the POB story at the time, here's the Globe's article about KG's attempt to tutor him. KG's comments on what he does with young players are interesting in the context of Doc's quote:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/01/02/paint_lessons_from_garnett/?page=1

Following a two-hour practice yesterday, Garnett gave O'Bryant up close and personal advice, which ranged from footwork and positioning to motivation through physical contact, as they battled for entry passes from assistant coach Clifford Ray.

"My game is not perfect, by any means," Garnett said. "But I do work hard on it and I try to spread it, and get guys to incorporate that same detail.

"It looks aggressive. I guess my style is very straight to the point. But if you ask Patrick, Baby [Glen Davis], even Leon [Powe], when I'm talking to you it's very passive and conservative and not as aggressive as it looks. The finishes and explosions, they all have to be aggressive to have the impact at which I'm trying to get them to understand. It can be aggressive at times, but what I'm saying is actually kind of soothing and conservative, and it's not like I'm trying to bite your head off. I'm trying to get you to do what I'm showing you.

"When you are finishing, nine times out of 10 it's in a crowd and it needs to be an aggressive finish."

If so, Garnett was being extremely passive-aggressive with emphatic dunks and defending as he tried to convince O'Bryant to be assertive and demonstrative near the basket.

"A lot of it is mental," said Garnett, who was wearing a wrap on his right leg. "If you want to work on things, I'm in here every day. I have a bit of a cold, but I'm in here. My leg is messed up, but I'm in here. So, if those guys are willing to work hard, I'm here."

Garnett said he spent extra time training as a young player with former Celtic Kevin McHale and former teammates Tom Hammonds and Sam Mitchell in Minnesota, and drew inspiration from Michael Jordan and Hakeem Olajuwon.

"Kevin said, 'If you want to get better, then show me,' " Garnett said. "Sam used to say, 'If you want it, then you'll work on it.' They are in the back of my mind and carried me to this point.

"We all need to work on every phase of the game. Kevin McHale would grab me and we would go through footwork on the post countless times, and I've been able to acquire some of that knowledge. Now it's my turn as a vet to try and instill this in some of the younger guys. Whether they want it or not, I'm here to give it to them. At the end of the day, it's whether they want to be better players and get better.

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 06:03:52 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
If anyone wants a refresher on the POB story at the time, here's the Globe's article about KG's attempt to tutor him. KG's comments on what he does with young players are interesting in the context of Doc's quote:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/01/02/paint_lessons_from_garnett/?page=1

Following a two-hour practice yesterday, Garnett gave O'Bryant up close and personal advice, which ranged from footwork and positioning to motivation through physical contact, as they battled for entry passes from assistant coach Clifford Ray.

"My game is not perfect, by any means," Garnett said. "But I do work hard on it and I try to spread it, and get guys to incorporate that same detail.

"It looks aggressive. I guess my style is very straight to the point. But if you ask Patrick, Baby [Glen Davis], even Leon [Powe], when I'm talking to you it's very passive and conservative and not as aggressive as it looks. The finishes and explosions, they all have to be aggressive to have the impact at which I'm trying to get them to understand. It can be aggressive at times, but what I'm saying is actually kind of soothing and conservative, and it's not like I'm trying to bite your head off. I'm trying to get you to do what I'm showing you.

"When you are finishing, nine times out of 10 it's in a crowd and it needs to be an aggressive finish."

If so, Garnett was being extremely passive-aggressive with emphatic dunks and defending as he tried to convince O'Bryant to be assertive and demonstrative near the basket.

"A lot of it is mental," said Garnett, who was wearing a wrap on his right leg. "If you want to work on things, I'm in here every day. I have a bit of a cold, but I'm in here. My leg is messed up, but I'm in here. So, if those guys are willing to work hard, I'm here."

Garnett said he spent extra time training as a young player with former Celtic Kevin McHale and former teammates Tom Hammonds and Sam Mitchell in Minnesota, and drew inspiration from Michael Jordan and Hakeem Olajuwon.

"Kevin said, 'If you want to get better, then show me,' " Garnett said. "Sam used to say, 'If you want it, then you'll work on it.' They are in the back of my mind and carried me to this point.

"We all need to work on every phase of the game. Kevin McHale would grab me and we would go through footwork on the post countless times, and I've been able to acquire some of that knowledge. Now it's my turn as a vet to try and instill this in some of the younger guys. Whether they want it or not, I'm here to give it to them. At the end of the day, it's whether they want to be better players and get better.

Good find, thanks!  Just think of what KG and the O'Neals and Perk  could teach Semih and Lasme.  Seems to me like they'd be bright and eager students.  And they both play aggressively.

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2010, 06:56:49 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'd also bet that Doc is referring to O'Bryant and Moore.  O'Bryant's lack of a motor must have been enough to get on KG's bad side.  Moore was always a step too late in whatever defensive move he made.  That couldn't have made KG happy either.

I'm pretty sure Leon is not one of the guys.  Every time Leon made a nice move, KG went nuts.

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2010, 07:14:37 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Powe and BBD definitely is not on that list...

POB, Moore is on the top of the list

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgogHDTY0RA

hopefully this didnt get on KG's bad side =)

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2010, 07:46:16 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
If KG only helps the one he likes, does he also love the one he's with?

I mean, there's a rose in the fisted glove, and the Eagle flies with the Dove...

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2010, 07:49:59 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Somebody else (not me) got the right answer (I think).

Mike Sweetney.  He was in camp last year, and had a *chance* to make the squad.  That makes more sense to me than Moore.

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2010, 07:58:12 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
Powe and BBD definitely is not on that list...

POB, Moore is on the top of the list

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgogHDTY0RA

hopefully this didnt get on KG's bad side =)

That was just payback for this

"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2010, 08:15:55 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Actually I imagine KG spent hours upon hours of watching BBD's game film, then he reached the logical conclusion that eventually BBD would leave him hanging on a high five in approximately 3 years.

After learning that, KG spent hours after practice with Sergeant Hulka from "Stripes" learning how to properly berate a person until bringing them to tears.

Only after he put the work in, KG found the perfect moment to preemptively strike, making BBD cry on national TV a full 2 years before BBD would leave him hanging on a high five in a preseason game.

"Its like my man Tupac said," KG elaborated when faced with the theory, "Its my life or yo life, I'ma Bomb First!"

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2010, 09:27:41 PM »

Offline Dolomite133

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
I hope he works a lot with Erden. I wasn't at all impressed with his play in the world championships but his preseason play has been eye opening. I'm especially impressed by his mobility as a big and excellent hands/passing. He's def showed some potential.

I agree. I was downplaying him all offseason. I figured he was another Euro big man who hucked up outside shots and was weak inside. Turns out he is the opposite. He has played well inside and, while he needs to improve his boxing out and rebound positioning, has shown some promise. I don't know what his upside is but he's on track to become a competent NBA backup center. Maybe a starter someday?

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2010, 10:05:05 PM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
Apparently it's fun to speculate on the 'who', but what hurts is my new idea of KG being not quite the guy I thought he was.
Doc also!
I despise that cliqueish (sp) stuff and it hurts the 'team chemistry' that's so important to being a winning team.
Doc airing it on media waves was not the brightest move for a coach. It seems like he's proud of this behavior from KG.
And it can't be doubted or put in the category of heresay because we got it straight from the horse's mouth.