Author Topic: Who else is worried about our "slow starts"?  (Read 8266 times)

Who else is worried about our "slow starts"?
« on: November 12, 2008, 05:43:34 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I, for one, am not worried right now. (Because we are winning).

I rather we just win and could care less if we have slow starts or slow finishes...just as long as we win each game that we are competing in and no one gets hurt.

The idea that these slow starts are something to be worried about, doesn't hold any water in my book because I prefer our bench gain the confidence that they are gaining right now by helping the starters get back into games...etc.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 10:02:47 AM by Redz »

Re: Who else worried about our "slow starts"?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 06:11:04 PM »

Offline KevinGamble

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • MWMWMWMWMWMW
Not me, not worried [yet].

but I had a thought this morning that the Celtics lately have been playing the 1st like Iverson looks at practice.  I SAID PRACTICE!

:-*
"You're skating on pretty thin ice around here, McGee!"
"Sounds like the ice's problem."

2 for the Show!
GO CELTS!

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 06:13:30 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I'm not worried at all.  I hope it doesn't become habit, but I really don't have much worries about this team at all at the moment.  As long as they continue playing defense, everything will be OK.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 06:14:33 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I am actually encouraged.  It shows our bench isn't as weak as we originally thought.

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think the last game might have been a wake up call. The fact that the team had to play Finals level defense just to get back into a game at home versus a division rival had to bother the starters some. I expect a quick start tonight and smell a blowout happening.

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Still awfully early in the season, I think of it as "working the kinks out".

Now if this is going to be a season long problem, then it'll turn into legitmate concern.  Lot of energy goes into getting back into a game after a 10-15 point deficit.  Don't like that with a veteran roster.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 09:46:37 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Awareness of rather than concerned about at this stage ... if it continues then I'll become concerned about it.

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 10:29:22 PM »

Offline ziggen

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
Opposing teams are probably playing their hearts out just to beat the Celtics. Its better to have a slow start and finish strong!
Hello World

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 10:33:47 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Opposing teams are probably playing their hearts out just to beat the Celtics. Its better to have a slow start and finish strong!

THIS!

And over the course of a 48 minute game...I will take our chances with our defense and our Championship pose over any team playing over their heads facing us.

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 10:51:02 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm concerned about it but its a long season. We'll see if the trend continues. The first couple weeks can be deceiving. After all The Mavericks started off their 67 win season poorly and came together to post one of the best regular seasons in NBA history.

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 11:38:12 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Awareness of rather than concerned about at this stage ... if it continues then I'll become concerned about it.

i agree with "awareness"......i would also like them to think about it in terms of another great team which very slowly became a team that didn't play focused the whole game:

the Detroit Pistons.

they became a team that was tremendous at closing out games, but i think they started to rely on that ability and it hurt them in establishing their legacy as a truly great team (the great team that i really think they were) and winning another Title. ...

although, i think this Cs team is different and actually better, but it still is something to be aware of...

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 12:01:14 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

i agree with "awareness"......i would also like them to think about it in terms of another great team which very slowly became a team that didn't play focused the whole game:

the Detroit Pistons.

they became a team that was tremendous at closing out games, but i think they started to rely on that ability and it hurt them in establishing their legacy as a truly great team (the great team that i really think they were) and winning another Title. ...

although, i think this Cs team is different and actually better, but it still is something to be aware of...

Although on the other side of the coin, the Spurs have had the same characteristic over the last 6 or 7 years.  They just have that "switch", that every great team has.

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 12:05:37 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

the Detroit Pistons.

Although on the other side of the coin, the Spurs have had the same characteristic over the last 6 or 7 years.  They just have that "switch", that every great team has.

that's a good point, but it is a dicey way to live.....Pop also would throw a complete fit when they would let teams back in games...

and (i know injuries are probably the biggest reason) they haven't won back to backs....

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 12:10:44 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

the Detroit Pistons.

To be fair to the Pistons, they went took the Spurs a very close seven game series. They easily could have won that year. San Antonio was a great team as well though. After that however the cracks began to show in attitude and effort in my opinion.

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 12:12:38 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

the Detroit Pistons.

To be fair to the Pistons, they went took the Spurs a very close seven game series. They easily could have won that year. San Antonio was a great team as well though. After that however the cracks began to show in attitude and effort in my opinion.

also coinciding with the departure of Brown....but yeah they battled that year and then started to lose their edge...

this years Lakeshow could be that Spurs team. they look really freaking good...