Author Topic: Jaylen Brown article and his views on basketball and social reform issues  (Read 10092 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
https://theundefeated.com/features/jaylen-brown-on-why-its-important-for-celtics-and-nba-to-hire-african-american-head-coaches/

Not sure if this is behind a paywall, if it is I can share, but just an excellent article interviewing Jaylen and his thoughts on hiring black coaches, systemic racism, social reform, the importance of celebs to get involved, his speeches he has given at colleges across the country, etc.

It paints a picture of a young man that seems to suggest  that young man is going to be something much more than an NBA star when all is said and done.

It's a long article but a great read. It makes me proud that Jaylen Brown is a Boston Celtic.

Re: Jaylen Brown article and his views on basketball and social reform issues
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 05:44:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
As an aside, I hate things advertised as “Black content”.  It seems exclusionary.  I much prefer “interesting content”.

=============

Weird opening quote:

Boston Celtics forward Jaylen Brown was ecstatic to see seven new African American head coaches, including one for his own franchise, get hired in the NBA this offseason regardless of what the true motive may have been.

“Whether it was because they were just trying to shut us up, or because they actually believed it was the right thing to do, it don’t matter to me. That representation is important,” Brown, a 24-year-old African American, told The Undefeated. “And that’s giving people access and resources that they need and deserve to have, especially former players. They deserve to have a seat at the table too, especially in coaching positions, as well as in-office positions, ownership positions. Those are important as well, especially if they’re qualified.

Brown told The Undefeated that he told the Celtics ownership and front office last offseason that it was important to hire a Black head coach after Brad Stevens was promoted to president of basketball operations.

I defended Brown’s tweet about black coaches, but this is a more forceful “hire based upon skin color” argument.  I don’t like it.  There’s a fine line between advocating for equal opportunities, versus becoming a black nationalist.

Regarding basketball, I love him as a player, and he said the right things here.  I’m a bit worried that the wrist is still giving him problems.  Conversely, it sounds like his knee is doing great.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 05:45:58 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I think it was very important for the C's to hire Udoka....Now let's get out there and kill it~!
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 05:56:08 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
As an aside, I hate things advertised as “Black content”.  It seems exclusionary.  I much prefer “interesting content”.

=============

Weird opening quote:

Boston Celtics forward Jaylen Brown was ecstatic to see seven new African American head coaches, including one for his own franchise, get hired in the NBA this offseason regardless of what the true motive may have been.

“Whether it was because they were just trying to shut us up, or because they actually believed it was the right thing to do, it don’t matter to me. That representation is important,” Brown, a 24-year-old African American, told The Undefeated. “And that’s giving people access and resources that they need and deserve to have, especially former players. They deserve to have a seat at the table too, especially in coaching positions, as well as in-office positions, ownership positions. Those are important as well, especially if they’re qualified.

Brown told The Undefeated that he told the Celtics ownership and front office last offseason that it was important to hire a Black head coach after Brad Stevens was promoted to president of basketball operations.

I defended Brown’s tweet about black coaches, but this is a more forceful “hire based upon skin color” argument.  I don’t like it.  There’s a fine line between advocating for equal opportunities, versus becoming a black nationalist.

Regarding basketball, I love him as a player, and he said the right things here.  I’m a bit worried that the wrist is still giving him problems.  Conversely, it sounds like his knee is doing great.

I think you’re not quite getting the full quote from Brown correct.  Literally the following sentences:

“That’s my argument. People may disagree, like, ‘They’re not qualified. They’re just getting the job because they’re African American.’ You’ve seen people say that in the media. And things like that. That’s some [expletive]. There’s plenty of qualified African Americans and Black people that can do their job. And they deserve to have a seat at the table.

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 06:02:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

=============

Weird opening quote:

I think you’re not quite getting the full quote from Brown correct.  Literally the following sentences:

“That’s my argument. People may disagree, like, ‘They’re not qualified. They’re just getting the job because they’re African American.’ You’ve seen people say that in the media. And things like that. That’s some [expletive]. There’s plenty of qualified African Americans and Black people that can do their job. And they deserve to have a seat at the table.
Just about to post this because it's important. It is BS, just as JB probably said. It's not like there aren't tons of highly qualified black people available to be hired in coaching and front office positions, there are. But what has been apparent for decades is those black people have been passed on so that, in a whole lot of cases, less qualified white people were hired.

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 06:05:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

=============

Weird opening quote:

Right, but words have meaning.  If his philosophy “especially” applies to qualified candidates, it also means it applies to unqualified candidates.

And, he made it clear that the Celtics should hire based on skin color, presumably preferring a qualified coach as well.  But, race was given more weight than “most qualified”.  Taking JB at face value, a black coach with minimal but adequate qualifications ranks higher than a maximumally qualified white / Hispanic / Asian.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 06:09:20 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I was blown away by the fact that about 70% of african americans have grown up without a father figure in sight.
I feel like that is a massive problem that is not of “systemic” nature. That’s just crazy when you think of it. Being from Europe, I only know of people whose father died, or something like that, but I can’t remember of someone being abandoned at a early age.

I tried to check that fact but the numbers are pretty similar, between 50-75 percent.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 06:11:59 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I was blown away by the fact that about 70% of african americans have grown up without a father figure in sight.
I feel like that is a massive problem that is not of “systemic” nature. That’s just crazy when you think of it. Being from Europe, I only know of people whose father died, or something like that, but I can’t remember of someone being abandoned at a early age.

I tried to check that fact but the numbers are pretty similar, between 50-75 percent.

It’s one reason gangs flourish, here and elsewhere.  They give a sense of family and belonging.

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 06:42:21 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618

You may not understand systemic racism if you don't think this statistic is a result.

Black men are incarcerated at a higher rate. Black men have been given less opportunity at high earning jobs. These are roots of systemic racism, constitutionaly having equal rights but continued to being pushed down, white men are not facing these issues at an equal proportion. Being in jail and/or not able to make a wage to support a family results in fathers becoming absent. Therefore, your statistic is a result of systemic racism.

I mean....as long as you believe systemic racism is thing...

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 06:47:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

=============

Weird opening quote:

Right, but words have meaning.  If his philosophy “especially” applies to qualified candidates, it also means it applies to unqualified candidates.

And, he made it clear that the Celtics should hire based on skin color, presumably preferring a qualified coach as well.  But, race was given more weight than “most qualified”.  Taking JB at face value, a black coach with minimal but adequate qualifications ranks higher than a maximumally qualified white / Hispanic / Asian.
I think what he is saying with the "especially if they are qualified" line, when you read the entire article and don't hone in on a couple words and then omit some important parts, is that black people, especially those that are qualified, haven't been given a seat at the table for the longest time and they especially should have but haven't. So those people especially should be hired. But they haven't been.

It's easy to look at this and worry about the poor white coaches that might not be hired even though they may be qualified. But, how does that compared to the decades of unqualified whites getting job after job after job while qualified blacks didn't get those jobs?

In a league that is almost all black, white coaches still outnumber black coaches. Cry me a river for those poor white guys that aren't getting a job because a qualified black guy got it instead.

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 06:53:06 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
It's easy to look at this and worry about the poor white coaches that might not be hired even though they may be qualified. But, how does that compared to the decades of unqualified whites getting job after job after job while qualified blacks didn't get those jobs?

It was wrong to hire based upon race in the past, and it’s wrong now.

“Cry me a river for white guys” sounds a lot like “the sins of the father shall be revisited upon the sons”. 

When does that thinking stop?  Even the Old Testament limited that principle to three or four generations.  Affirmative action has been in place for around sixty years.  How many more do we allow discrimination?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 06:58:16 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 07:06:28 PM »

Kiorrik

“Cry me a river for white guys” sounds a lot like “the sins of the father shall be revisited upon the sons”.

When does that thinking stop?  Even the Old Testament limited that principle to three or four generations.  Affirmative action has been in place for around sixty years.  How many more do we allow discrimination?

Well, they're also benefiting from those sins. So it's not necessarily sins being revisited, as the profits of those being gifted back to those that don't have much.

Rich to the poor kinda thing.

Especially important in jobs like that - where in general people aren't really struggling for money anyway, to set an example.

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2021, 07:16:56 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618

Affirmative action has been around a lot longer than 60yrs. It's been here since the birth of the USA. It just had a different name and favored a different race.

But you are right in the sense that there is a two wrongs making a right thing potentially going on here. Somehow all races need to get on equal playing field, but how do you achieve that without promoting those that have been down trodden?

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 07:18:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Well, they're also benefiting from those sins. So it's not necessarily sins being revisited, as the profits of those being gifted back to those that don't have much.

Rich to the poor kinda thing.

Especially important in jobs like that - where in general people aren't really struggling for money anyway, to set an example.

Under this system, the sons of a rich black man benefit more than those of a white in generational poverty.  That’s not equity.

My ancestral history is filled with tales of woe, including fleeing what was essentially a ethnicity-based genocide.  My dad grew up living in a house with a dirt floor.  My mother’s family wad riddled with alcoholism and mental illness.  My mother is deceased, a victim of suicide.  My father is now disabled, a victim of cancer that was gifted to him from the drinking water at a military base he served at. I’m first generation college, and I’m under a staggering amount of college and grad school debt.

Where’s my equal playing field? 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 07:31:03 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2021, 07:44:54 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Employers should absolutely not close themselves off from black or other minority candidates. As with other jobs, however, you should hire whoever's best for that position, regardless of their race.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis