Author Topic: NBA executives weigh in on best advanced statistic.  (Read 823 times)

NBA executives weigh in on best advanced statistic.
« on: September 21, 2021, 05:44:38 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
An interesting read for those who care about advanced stats. REAL +/-  takes some heat (I've read that Defensive BOX +/-  is useless too elsewhere.)

I use PER as a quick and dirty offensive stat, knowing its faults, and RAPTOR, for its potential. I distrust any strictly plus/minus stat, no matter how you massage it, and single-game +/- stats are meaningless.

RAPTOR was 4th, LEBRON 3rd, EPM 2nd, and DPM was the top-ranked all-in-one stat.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/advanced-stats-nba-real-plus-minus-rapm-win-shares-analytics/

Re: NBA executives weigh in on best advanced statistic.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 05:59:38 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
These guys get it:

Some felt that as a whole, catch-all stats are flawed and do not very accurately measure talent or performance.

“I don’t really use any,” said one executive, who is the president of basketball operations for a team in the Eastern Conference. “They are all pretty bad.”

Others were less critical but felt that while all-in-one composite metrics are constantly getting better, the future of analytics is headed away from these measurements altogether.

“If I could add a wrinkle to your story, it would be that all-in-one stats are overused – that the next phase of basketball analytics is all about context-dependent numbers,” said another front office member from the Western Conference. “That would be the most honest quote I could give.”

The real answer is tracking data, mixed with context and common sense.  There’s no formula that captures that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes