Author Topic: Ben and Rich Paul backed into a corner  (Read 12995 times)

Ben and Rich Paul backed into a corner
« on: September 18, 2021, 02:12:57 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 "It's not my job to increase my trade value " What an absolute tool for saying that.  Well Ben, now it is your job to play hard you spoiled brat.

Hes actually going to have to try hard and you know maybe learn to shoot and hit a 15 foot jumpshot if he wants out of Philly.

Not many teams are interested in giving up the farm and 140 million for a basketball Dinosaur that can't stretch the floor to save his life.

Get close to the trade deadline if he's trying hard and playing well and shave about 30 million off that 140 million and teams will start negotiating again.

So glad Philly is not putting up with these ridiculous demands. 

Re: Ben and Rich Paul backed into a corner
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 02:23:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Not many teams are interested in giving up the farm and 140 million for a basketball Dinosaur that can't stretch the floor to save his life.

I think the idea that all big men need to stretch the floor is wrong-minded.  A big who can score inside, pass like a point guard, and defend both the interior and perimeter is quite valuable.

Simmons’ problems are that he’s a terrible FT shooter, and that he mentally can’t handle 4th quarter pressure.  Sitting out won’t help that perception, but Philly needs to understand that teams won’t give up full value for a guy with suspect mental skills.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 02:43:42 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I think the idea that all big men need to stretch the floor is wrong-minded.  A big who can score inside, pass like a point guard, and defend both the interior and perimeter is quite valuable.

Simmons’ problems are that he’s a terrible FT shooter, and that he mentally can’t handle 4th quarter pressure.  Sitting out won’t help that perception, but Philly needs to understand that teams won’t give up full value for a guy with suspect mental skills.

True however he's got to get the idea that he's a PG out of his head. He will never make All Star at wing or big man.  That's okay.  Embrace your height and strengths Ben. Your not a point guard.

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 03:12:15 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

True however he's got to get the idea that he's a PG out of his head. He will never make All Star at wing or big man.  That's okay.  Embrace your height and strengths Ben. Your not a point guard.

He needs to play like Sabonis in Indiana. Put him on the box and surround him with shooters.

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 10:15:46 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Is that an actual quote.  All I've seen is Windhorst saying that was implied, but listening to everything he said I took it more like he didn't feel like he had to report to fix his trade value (he should report for all sorts of reasons, but that probably isn't one of them).  I know that is nuance, but until Simmons actually puts his name on that sort of quote I have a hard time knocking him for a quote he probably pretty likely never said.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 08:22:26 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

And he absolutely lazy and sorry.   Being paid millions and he can’t even stay in the gym for a thousand hour and fix his free throw shooting as a supposed guard .  He is not a guard IMO , he is PF would is too chicken to play his rightful position. 

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 12:12:05 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16

He needs to play like Sabonis in Indiana. Put him on the box and surround him with shooters.

The problem with putting Simmons in the box is that it prevents Embiid from going in the box as well.  Embiid would kill as  a back to the basket player and I am glad that Philly has not yet realized this. 

I bet he winds up with the Lakers at the trade deadline.  Westbrook won't work with LeBron because he is not a shooter and he is ball dominant.

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 12:38:21 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

The problem with putting Simmons in the box is that it prevents Embiid from going in the box as well.  Embiid would kill as  a back to the basket player and I am glad that Philly has not yet realized this. 

I bet he winds up with the Lakers at the trade deadline.  Westbrook won't work with LeBron because he is not a shooter and he is ball dominant.

Westbrook for Simmons would be a win-win for both the Lakers and Sixers and a huge negative for us. I hope that never happens.

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2021, 12:45:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Westbrook for Simmons would be a win-win for both the Lakers and Sixers and a huge negative for us. I hope that never happens.

I don’t see the win for the Sixers, honestly. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 01:30:47 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
No matter how the 76ers spin it, this is potentially a devastating blow to their chances to advance in the playoffs and perhaps keep Embiid.

Getting pennies on the dollar for Ben Simmons is a disaster. It sets them back years, unless the perfect situational trade comes along. The problem is, the attitude of Ben is horrible and everyone knows it.

Maybe Doc should have been a bit more diplomatic after that series loss against Atlanta and covered for his 3 time Allstar asset. If he downplayed his poor performance, at least Simmons would report to training camp and Philly would be in a better position.

Maybe Doc still has a warm spot for the Celtic. lol

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 01:56:30 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

Simmons is going elsewhere....

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2021, 11:05:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

If the process turned into a bloated cap with embid harris and Westbrook I would laugh for quite some time.

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2021, 01:26:59 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

If the process turned into a bloated cap with embid harris and Westbrook I would laugh for quite some time.

Serves them right for being the Seventy Stinkers for so long. Tanking by the FO and stinking up the league and cheating their fans and the league’s fans for so long!

Karma is that female dog.

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2021, 06:53:15 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Serves them right for being the Seventy Stinkers for so long. Tanking by the FO and stinking up the league and cheating their fans and the league’s fans for so long!

They tanked for 3 years and were bad for 1 additional year.  It wasn't a decade.  It was 4 seasons.  They've been essentially a 50+ win team for the last 4 seasons as well.  So they didn't just go to barely making the playoffs.  Would you rather have them be the Kings, Hornets, Pistons, or some team like that. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2021, 07:28:10 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

They tanked for 3 years and were bad for 1 additional year.  It wasn't a decade.  It was 4 seasons.  They've been essentially a 50+ win team for the last 4 seasons as well.  So they didn't just go to barely making the playoffs.  Would you rather have them be the Kings, Hornets, Pistons, or some team like that.

Sure, it wasn't a decade, but we aren't going to pretend that they were just your typical losing franchise, are we? They clearly had a shameless plan to throw away season after season in order to gain a draft advantage. And if they got a decent - but not franchise player - they traded him away. Any way you describe it, it was dirty. Even though the rules at the time allowed it, the league never thought a team would take it that far. It's fine if you are playing NBA2K and can simulate seasons, but it not only affected Philly's fandom, but also ticket sales across the league when the Sixers would come to town. It was a problem.