Author Topic: Celtics Second (Final) Two Way Player  (Read 5451 times)

Celtics Second (Final) Two Way Player
« on: September 17, 2021, 08:11:04 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
The Celtics roster looks complete, except for the second and final two way slot.

Recently the Memphis Grizzlies cut Sean McDermott because they needed to clear space on its roster in order to complete the trade that sent Patrick Beverley to the Timberwolves in exchange for Juan Hernangomez and Jarrett Culver.

Sean McDermott vs Miami Heat (2021 Summer League): https://youtu.be/oqBcMBytTWo

Sean McDermott vs San Antonio (2021 Summer League):
https://youtu.be/Ma2zQR82_CU

I would love to see Stevens bring in the former Butler player to training camp and compete for the last roster position.

Although McDermott is far from the finished product, I see a lot of similarities between himself and Duncan Robinson. McDermott has the height and wingspan to compete in the NBA and his shot looks better every season.

In terms of playing style, IMO he resembles a poor man’s Mike Miller, which is valuable in the current iteration of the NBA.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 09:02:13 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Celtic Second (Final) Two Way Player
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 08:15:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think they're more likely to go for a veteran guy (like Anthony Brown) than someone like McDermott
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 08:30:42 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I think they're more likely to go for a veteran guy (like Anthony Brown) than someone like McDermott

Two-ways are limited to players who won’t have “more than 3 seasons of NBA service at any point in the contract”, so for the most part veterans are excluded.  It’s a little unclear about Brown specifically, because he’s at three years service.  If he signs a 2-way, does that count as year four, which would prevent it?  Or no, because 2-ways don’t count as service time?  CBAFAQ is failing me a bit, but my guess is he isn’t eligible.  Juwan Morgan is, however.

Re: Celtics Second (Final) Two Way Player
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 08:55:50 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
My apologies, posting error, please disregard.

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 09:26:41 PM »

Offline carlucho

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
According to Chris Grenham there is mutual interest between the Celtics and Brandon Goodwin.

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 11:15:13 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell

Two-ways are limited to players who won’t have “more than 3 seasons of NBA service at any point in the contract”, so for the most part veterans are excluded.  It’s a little unclear about Brown specifically, because he’s at three years service.  If he signs a 2-way, does that count as year four, which would prevent it?  Or no, because 2-ways don’t count as service time?  CBAFAQ is failing me a bit, but my guess is he isn’t eligible.  Juwan Morgan is, however.

You’re probably correct regarding the restrictions of two way contracts.

Given there has been multiple reports of the Celtics interest then perhaps Jabari Parker & Bruno Fernando are not guaranteed their roster spots.

It may be Stevens and Udoka’s intention to bring in guys like Anthony Brown, Juwan Morgan and Brandon Goodwin to training camp and compete with Parker and/or Fernando for a main roster position.

I would be quite shocked if any long term pro playing overseas would return to the NBA for a two way contract.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 11:22:20 PM by Ed Monix »

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 06:53:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Interesting, I'd assumed that it wouldn't be a problem for Brown with the wording "more than 3", with Brown sitting at 3. But if the 2-way contributes to that then he's obviously out. Would prefer him to Morgan!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 10:27:18 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Might come down to Morgan or Pinson.

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 11:37:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Might come down to Morgan or Pinson.
Or no one.

That is still a very real possibility.

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 08:06:47 AM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
Seems like a point guard would make the most sense.

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 08:38:17 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
For anyone unsure of what qualifies as a year of service:

A player is credited with a year of service for each season in which he is on a team's active list or inactive list for at least one day during the regular season. This includes players who are on 10-day and Two-Way contracts.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q22

a player can be signed to a Two-Way contract and not be credited with a year of service (if he does not spend at least one day on the parent team's Active or Inactive List)

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q82

So, anyone that has been on NBA contracts for 3 years would be ineligible (since they would hit their 4th year when/if we had them play or practice with the NBA team). Pinson, Brown, and Goodwin aren't eligible (or, if they are eligible, it would be to play for almost no money with absolutely no chance of ever playing or practicing with the NBA team... so no way they would)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2021, 09:22:46 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Garrison Mathews looks like he may get this. He is a good player IMO.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2021, 09:28:10 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Garrison Mathews looks like he may get this. He is a good player IMO.

He'd be a solid pickup for a 2-way.  I think it's 50/50 between him and Juwan Morgan, personally.  The other additions are camp bodies who will likely wind up in Maine.  Both of them beating out Sam Hauser and taking his 2-way is also an option, but less likely.  There's also an outside chance someone is cut who the Celtics a) like as a 2-way, and b) can claim on waivers/sign on a 2-way ahead of other teams who would also be interested.

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2021, 06:54:13 PM »

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
I don't really understand why teams don't go for 3rd string internationals players for depth with those 2-way contracts. Is it all because of salary levels?

Think about somebody like Vitor Faverani. He is not a rotation player, but he is better than most 2-ways players the Celtics has had. For sure he is more useful for a team than rookie Tacko Fall.

I mean, here in Brazil there are some players at that level and we are haven't really been a basketball powerhouse for many decades. Aren't there tons of this kind of players in Europe, Israel, China and Australia?

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2021, 11:33:34 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
I don't really understand why teams don't go for 3rd string internationals players for depth with those 2-way contracts. Is it all because of salary levels?

Think about somebody like Vitor Faverani. He is not a rotation player, but he is better than most 2-ways players the Celtics has had. For sure he is more useful for a team than rookie Tacko Fall.

I mean, here in Brazil there are some players at that level and we are haven't really been a basketball powerhouse for many decades. Aren't there tons of this kind of players in Europe, Israel, China and Australia?

If you mean guys who are deep bench players in Europe when you say “third-string”, I think there’s your answer.  If you mean fringe NBA talents who are starters in Europe, it’s because the 2-way doesn’t offer enough money to entice those guys.  Yam Madar is making more on his Euro deal than he’d get from a 2-way, and he’s not even an established player yet.

The 2-way is designed to keep a small amount of fringe NBA players in the states so they never go to Europe.  It’s to keep the future Bo McCalebb’s in the NBA system, before they go to Europe and make too much to return.