Author Topic: Could Super Teams implode  (Read 6354 times)

Could Super Teams implode
« on: September 05, 2021, 11:43:44 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Although Brad culled the Celtics he has maintained the core of Celtics with contracts and extensions.The return of Horford for his steady guidance his ability to shoot threes and facilitate while blending in.
Mentoring Timelord who is a huge concern with his injury history.
Then there is Pritchard ,Nesmith, Grant and Romeo all effected by Covid and lack of crowds.
 Juancho Hernangomez 6-9 seems like a good backdoor cutter like his technique setting screens on pick and roll.
Very fluid, smooth and his timing a European skill
Josh Richardson another long defender.
I would like Fernando to stick he has a good motor and is what 22.
Schroder a gift.
So back to the title imagine all the egos on the Nets Lakers on paper great  but the NBA season is long and made longer sitting on the bench.
.We have a core that is now secure with two rising superstars  a shot blocking young big a all defense Marcus Smart
Where the Celtics will have to fight and play defense as a team to have success.We have shooting this year,
we have length,we have grit and defense.
All you need is Kyrie to get crazy or LA to turn into a tower of Babel.
The East Coast has gotten stronger and grittier

Re: Could Super Teams implode
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 12:02:00 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
The most likely cause for implosion with Super Teams is injury.

The core gets formed by established players in their prime or heading out of it. Most of the supporting cast is made up of guys past their prime hunting a ring. The skill levels might be higher, but so is the risk of injury.

If core members- the actual superstars- loose significant time they could implode. If they have to have playing time restrictions due to injury risk, that could cause chemistry issues. If key role players get injured and can’t support the core, then the superstars could be forced to play more minutes and be overtaxed come playoff time.

Chemistry issues can be a problem, but winning usually beats that. Unbalanced rosters can usually be overcome by the talent level of the superstars. Health is the key to success.

Could Super Teams implode
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 12:56:56 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Although Brad culled the Celtics he has maintained the core of Celtics with contracts and extensions.The return of Horford for his steady guidance his ability to shoot threes and facilitate while blending in.
Then there is Pritchard ,Nesmith, Grant and Romeo all effected by Covid and lack of crowds.
 Juancho Hernangomez 6-9 seems like a good backdoor cutter like his technique setting screens on pick and roll.
Schroder a gift.
So back to the title imagine all the egos on the Nets Lakers on paper great  but the NBA season is long and made longer sitting on the bench.
.We have a core that is now secure with two rising superstars  a shot blocking young big a all defense Marcus Smart
Where the Celtics will have to fight and play defense as a team to have success.We have shooting this year,

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 02:49:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Schroder a gift.

LA definitely has a lot of avenues for things to go south. I am curious if anyone has been able to check out if their roster is the oldest in league history (I haven't seen the articles about it but believe the previous record was the Knicks team with Kenyon Martin and Jason Kidd, Rasheed Wallace, Kurt Thomas etc). Howard, Gasol (who I would be surprised if he is still on the opening roster), Jordan, Carmelo are all somewhere in between decline and freefall. Lebron has battled injuries the last few years and Davis is not exactly the picture of health. There are a ton of guys that have been traditionally been contentious in the locker room on that team (Dwight, Rondo, Lebron, Carmelo). I am not sure how good Westbrook fits with Lebron. It could also all work out, just a lot more avenues for it to implode that Brooklyn which I think would only go completely awful with injuries. (The character/locker room impact of guys like Aldridge, Blake, Milsap seems way safer than Dwight, Rondo, Carmelo).

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 04:19:38 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
LA, and Nets have a lot of egos, that could cause them to turn on one another.   Add some age related injuries, and boom

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 04:43:07 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I can see the Lakers implode due to age and fit.  Their roster just isn’t very well constructed, despite having two top ten players.

I don’t think the Nets will implode.  I think their roster is built to survive a serious injury to anybody but Durant.  Obviously, if they lose two of their top three players they will struggle, but that’s true of every team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 09:57:15 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
FWIW, according to a Reddit post from three years ago, the 2000-01 Jazz and the 1997-98 Rockets were the oldest at the end of the season at a 32.0 years average. According to to the source below, the Lakers are 30.9 currently, and if all stayed the same would not be the oldest, but that source is irrelevant to what will be the average age at the end of the season and it's not clear if it's up-to-date. Check back at the end of the season.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/transactions/composition_search

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2021, 10:58:16 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Schroder a gift.

LA definitely has a lot of avenues for things to go south. I am curious if anyone has been able to check out if their roster is the oldest in league history (I haven't seen the articles about it but believe the previous record was the Knicks team with Kenyon Martin and Jason Kidd, Rasheed Wallace, Kurt Thomas etc). Howard, Gasol (who I would be surprised if he is still on the opening roster), Jordan, Carmelo are all somewhere in between decline and freefall. Lebron has battled injuries the last few years and Davis is not exactly the picture of health. There are a ton of guys that have been traditionally been contentious in the locker room on that team (Dwight, Rondo, Lebron, Carmelo). I am not sure how good Westbrook fits with Lebron. It could also all work out, just a lot more avenues for it to implode that Brooklyn which I think would only go completely awful with injuries. (The character/locker room impact of guys like Aldridge, Blake, Milsap seems way safer than Dwight, Rondo, Carmelo).
Lebron, Rondo and Dwight were winning the Lakers 17th championship 2 years ago so why are they going to have a problem now?  Rondo's issues have been with coaches and opposing players on the court.  He hasn't had problems with teammates.  He's been a good locker room guy and especially good mentor with younger players.  I don't recall Dwight having any issues on the Lakers and he didn't have any issues on the Sixers last season.  Carmelo did fine with the Blazers. 

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2021, 12:18:24 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
The short and unsatisfying answer is… No

The only time super teams implode is because of immaturity. But Lebron keeps his guys/players in line and they all defer to him. There’s no Kobe thinking he’s better than Shaq situation happening in LA

Same with the Nets. Kyrie would be the biggest headcase but he’s clearly willing to work with KD. And the 3 of them thought they could win the chip last year, but didn’t because of injuries. So they actually have motivation to work together.

If there are egos to be checked, we should be more concerned with ourselves. JT-JB seem to have found their equilibrium but I hope Brown doesn’t get the “Kobe’s” when it clearly becomes JT’s team. I also think Dennis Schroder will be hungry for a payday and might need to be reined in. I think Smart could also come out lazy with his new contract.
- LilRip

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2021, 08:14:36 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I can see the Lakers implode due to age and fit.  Their roster just isn’t very well constructed, despite having two top ten players.

I don’t think the Nets will implode.  I think their roster is built to survive a serious injury to anybody but Durant.  Obviously, if they lose two of their top three players they will struggle, but that’s true of every team.
Pretty much.  Anthony Davis is by far the least assertive of the Lakers' big 3 but I think he needs to be the main guy come playoff time.  If not 1A, he needs to be at least 1B to Lebron.  I think Lebron will really have to take a step back during the regular season in terms of minutes/games played to make it through the playoffs in top form.  Not sure if that will happen or not.  He's obviously a huge winner but he also loves his personal numbers and awards. 

Look out for the Nets if Durant and Harden are healthy come playoff time.  I don't think Irving is nearly as important as those two.  Even if he flakes out and leaves the team I think Durant and Harden want to win so badly and have so much respect from teammates that the usual chemistry issues that a guy like Irving is known to create don't seem as concerning.

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2021, 09:57:59 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I can imagine a scenario where the Lakers try to play big with AD at PF next to a paint dweller at C (how their coach likes to play) and as a result Westbrook is an absolute train wreck for that team. And in that scenario, the Lakers decide to trade Westbrook midseason.

Its not a blow up. Or an implosion. More moving in a different direction. Maintaining their core guys (LeBron, AD) and knowing that a different combination gets them to a title.

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2021, 10:09:04 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I can imagine a scenario where the Lakers try to play big with AD at PF next to a paint dweller at C (how their coach likes to play) and as a result Westbrook is an absolute train wreck for that team. And in that scenario, the Lakers decide to trade Westbrook midseason.

Its not a blow up. Or an implosion. More moving in a different direction. Maintaining their core guys (LeBron, AD) and knowing that a different combination gets them to a title.
They're still betting a ton on Malik Monk, Carmelo, Ellington, Bazemore and Ariza to provide shooting that keeps the offence afloat while being solid enough on defence to keep the team being one of the stingiest in the league. Also don't see anyone wanting Westbrook unless it's a salary dump if it implodes in Los Angeles - he's slated to earn 47 million dollars in 22-23 if he picks up his player option.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2021, 11:33:02 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
FWIW, according to a Reddit post from three years ago, the 2000-01 Jazz and the 1997-98 Rockets were the oldest at the end of the season at a 32.0 years average. According to to the source below, the Lakers are 30.9 currently, and if all stayed the same would not be the oldest, but that source is irrelevant to what will be the average age at the end of the season and it's not clear if it's up-to-date. Check back at the end of the season.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/transactions/composition_search

Lies, white lies, and statistics. What is the average age of the key players on the Lakers? LeBron, Rondo, Howard, Melo, Ariza, Jordan, Davis, and Westbrook?

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2021, 12:03:01 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Davis and James won’t play half the season due to “injuries “.. they just want to be healthy at playoff time
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2021, 01:36:22 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
You’re never gonna believe this but I bet Lebron miraculously gains muscle over the course of the season and just seems stronger and faster and more explosive than everyone else on the court by playoff time, despite being 37 years old. Hot take, I know.