Author Topic: All-Time Dream Team  (Read 4645 times)

Re: All-Time Dream Team
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2021, 07:42:29 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Based on the replies in this thread I think it’s more likely folks are just massively overrating The Logo.

SG is fairly deep, but the problem is that you have to compare all of them to Michael Jordan and no one is going to come off looking very good in an on-the-court comparison.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2021, 08:02:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Based on the replies in this thread I think it’s more likely folks are just massively overrating The Logo.

SG is fairly deep, but the problem is that you have to compare all of them to Michael Jordan and no one is going to come off looking very good in an on-the-court comparison.
I was very tempted to put Wade ahead of West
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2021, 09:04:36 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
PG-Curry, Magic, Stockton
SG-Jordan, Kobe, Klay Thompson
SF- Lebron, Bird, KD
PF- KG, Duncan, Dirk
C- Jokic, Wilt, Russell

I feel a dream team needs passing and shooting not just great with the ball scoring so I want Jokic, Dirk, and Klay on my dream team. Need a few guys that can get it done off ball.

I would play Duncan more at Center and Russell more at PF so it works to have both.

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2021, 09:23:29 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
cant believe,,Bill Walton and Jokic get mentions and no Hakeem Olajuwon.

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2021, 09:41:02 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
cant believe,,Bill Walton and Jokic get mentions and no Hakeem Olajuwon.
If I would have went with Olajuwon I probably would have then took a different PF over Duncan (Malone/Barkley) also then Ieave off Russell. For me it made more sense to keep Duncan and Russell bench pairing.

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2021, 09:56:56 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
SF- Lebron, Bird, KD
PF- KG, Duncan, Dirk
C- Jokic, Wilt, Russell

I feel a dream team needs passing and shooting not just great with the ball scoring so I want Jokic, Dirk, and Klay on my dream team. Need a few guys that can get it done off ball.

I would play Duncan more at Center and Russell more at PF so it works to have both.
How can the Dream Team have non-Americans?

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2021, 11:09:37 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I was very tempted to put Wade ahead of West

I think I would.  Peak Wade was pretty impressive and dominant. 

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2021, 12:05:31 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Ambiguity that comes with evaluating players from that era due to some metrics simply being unavailable aside, I think West is being properly rated here. He was arguably the best offensive player before the implementation of the three point line and was a high-level guard defender (not unlike Wade in that respect). I don't think Wade, even with the aid of the three point line is better than West unless you're just really low on the Logo and the 60s in general.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2021, 08:37:43 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

SG is by far the weakest position.  Wade wouldn't sniff the top 5 at any other position yet he is probably the 4th best SG (him or Drexler).  And some would argue he is better than West.  That is just weak.  Much weaker than even PG.  Jordan is obviously the unquestioned best and frankly if this wasn't a Celtics site, you'd probably see Lebron a unanimous choice at SF and Duncan a unanimous choice at PF (and Kareem and Magic very well might be unanimous also). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2021, 09:20:28 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
If we're playing with modern rules, I'd build a highly controversial team with Magic as my starting Center! I fully believe he'd revolutionise the Center position in the pace-and-space era, just like he revolutionised the PG position in the 80s. After all, he famously won his first championship playing Game 6 of the Finals at Center.

PG: Steph
SG: Jordan
SF: Kawhi (3+D role player in this team)
PF: Bird
C: Magic

I'm too lazy to think of a 15-man roster. It's more difficult than it seems cause you gotta pick players who fit next to each other on both sides of the ball. It ain't just about who were the top 15 players. For instance, Klay would be a lock in my roster. In a vacuum, there are plenty of better SGs, but prime Klay was the ultimate off-ball player. Basketball is played with only one ball.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 09:29:19 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2021, 02:28:15 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
SF- Lebron, Bird, KD
PF- KG, Duncan, Dirk
C- Jokic, Wilt, Russell

I was thinking field of dreams.

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2021, 07:44:35 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
SF- Lebron, Bird, KD
PF- KG, Duncan, Dirk
C- Jokic, Wilt, Russell

It would be fun to come up with an all time non USA team to hypothetically compete against this all time USA team.  Off the top of my head you could have Doncic, Jokic, Dirk, A Sabonis, Ginobli, Petrovic, Kukoc, the Gasols, Embiid, Giannis, and I’m sure I’m forgetting more.

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2021, 07:54:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
SF- Lebron, Bird, KD
PF- KG, Duncan, Dirk
C- Jokic, Wilt, Russell

It would be fun to come up with an all time non USA team to hypothetically compete against this all time USA team.  Off the top of my head you could have Doncic, Jokic, Dirk, A Sabonis, Ginobli, Petrovic, Kukoc, the Gasols, Embiid, Giannis, and I’m sure I’m forgetting more.
If we're going 3 at each position:
Hakeem / Sabonis / Embiid
Giannis / Dirk / Jokic
Stojakovic / Schrempf / Kirilenko
Doncic / Ginobili / Petrovic
Nash / Parker / Dragic

Crazy that the Gasol brothers probably miss out. Don't think any of them have higher all-time peaks than Hakeem, Sabonis, Embiid, Giannis, Dirk or Jokic. I don't really see Jokic as a PF, but I like the idea of Embiid and Jokic playing together. The big spots are where the clear strengths are.

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2021, 08:21:06 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
SF- Lebron, Bird, KD
PF- KG, Duncan, Dirk
C- Jokic, Wilt, Russell

If we're going 3 at each position:
Hakeem / Sabonis / Embiid
Giannis / Dirk / Jokic
Stojakovic / Schrempf / Kirilenko
Doncic / Ginobili / Petrovic
Nash / Parker / Dragic

Crazy that the Gasol brothers probably miss out. Don't think any of them have higher all-time peaks than Hakeem, Sabonis, Embiid, Giannis, Dirk or Jokic. I don't really see Jokic as a PF, but I like the idea of Embiid and Jokic playing together. The big spots are where the clear strengths are.

Very nice.  I obviously didn’t put too much thought into it missing Hakeem, Peja, and Nash. Lol I’d at least consider Rubio over Dragic for passing and defense. What about Dino Radja? JK😊

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2021, 10:01:10 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
The starting five of this international all-time greats would probably give the third line-up of the all-time best a run for their money (by the time Luka and Giannis are finished, they may become the second or third best SG and PF of all-time):

Steve Nash/Tony Parker/Ben Simmons
Luka Doncic/Drazen Petrovic/Manu Ginobili
Detlef Schrempf/Peja Stojakovic/Andrew Wiggins
Giannis Antetokounmpo/Dirk Nowitzky/Al Horford
Arvydas Sabonis/Hakeem Olajuwon/Nikola Jokic