Author Topic: Edwards & Dunn Traded for Juancho Hernangomez  (Read 29057 times)

Re: Edwards & Dunn Traded for Juancho Hernangomez
« Reply #165 on: September 07, 2021, 06:45:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Interesting:

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/07/nba-boston-celtics-start-juancho/

I saw that on Karalis’ podcast the other day. He wasn’t exactly bullish and just was trying to convey that Hernangomez shoots better with extended minutes.

I think we’re best served trotting out our best defensive 5 as the starters and figuring out the rotations afterward. Just my opinion!

If TIMELORD and Smart are your starters you need another scorer at the 4 or the 2 depending on how you go.
I doubt Timelord starts to begin the season. Probably Horford-Tatum-Brown-Richardson-Smart, or Horford-Tatum-Brown-Smart-Schroder

I'd rather see TIMLORD, Hernangomez, Tatum, Brown, Smart.
That lineup is worse on both ends.

I think it fits together better. Schroder definitely should come off the bench. TIMELORD has earned a chance to start.
Why? Schroder is a better passer than most on our team, Horford is a better passer than Timelord (who needs to prove he can stay on the court) and will open up the floor more for the Jays, and Hernangomez is simply mediocre. He should not start ahead of Richardson or Schroder, as he is worse on both ends than both of them, and I think Tatum and Brown are better served by being 4/3 than 3/2
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #166 on: September 07, 2021, 06:56:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Interesting:

I saw that on Karalis’ podcast the other day. He wasn’t exactly bullish and just was trying to convey that Hernangomez shoots better with extended minutes.

I think we’re best served trotting out our best defensive 5 as the starters and figuring out the rotations afterward. Just my opinion!

If TIMELORD and Smart are your starters you need another scorer at the 4 or the 2 depending on how you go.
I doubt Timelord starts to begin the season. Probably Horford-Tatum-Brown-Richardson-Smart, or Horford-Tatum-Brown-Smart-Schroder

I think it fits together better. Schroder definitely should come off the bench. TIMELORD has earned a chance to start.
Why? Schroder is a better passer than most on our team, Horford is a better passer than Timelord (who needs to prove he can stay on the court) and will open up the floor more for the Jays, and Hernangomez is simply mediocre. He should not start ahead of Richardson or Schroder, as he is worse on both ends than both of them, and I think Tatum and Brown are better served by being 4/3 than 3/2

Yeah, I'm hoping we go with:

Horford
Tatum
Brown
Smart
Schroder

I know that it's been implied that Smart is the starting PG, but I'd like to see him and Schroder start together.  Richardson makes sense off the bench as the primary guy backing up the 2/3.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #167 on: September 07, 2021, 06:57:40 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Interesting:

I think it's a better fit.

« Reply #168 on: September 07, 2021, 06:58:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Interesting:

Horford
Tatum
Brown
Smart
Schroder

I know that it's been implied that Smart is the starting PG, but I'd like to see him and Schroder start together.  Richardson makes sense off the bench as the primary guy backing up the 2/3.
I agree, that's what I want to see. I like a 10 of:
Horford - Rob
Tatum - Juancho
Brown - Nesmith
Smart - Richardson
Schroder - Pritchard

'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #169 on: September 07, 2021, 07:08:13 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Interesting:

Horford
Tatum
Brown
Smart
Schroder

I can’t see the Celtics giving Smart and Richardson extensions AFTER signing Schröder without the Celtics trying those two out as the starters first.  They’re both being paid like starters and are here next year — have to see if that works before going with Schröder, who’s almost certainly gone next summer.

« Reply #170 on: September 07, 2021, 09:21:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Interesting:

Horford
Tatum
Brown
Smart
Schroder

I agree, that's what I want to see. I like a 10 of:
Horford - Rob
Tatum - Juancho
Brown - Nesmith
Smart - Richardson
Schroder - Pritchard

We like the same 10 just in a slightly different order.

« Reply #171 on: September 15, 2021, 12:49:36 PM »

Offline daddytxus

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 3
Is the trade official today?. I am excited to have Hernangomez aboard!! Go Celtics!!

« Reply #172 on: September 15, 2021, 12:51:05 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

« Reply #173 on: September 15, 2021, 01:29:20 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Interesting:

Horford
Tatum
Brown
Smart
Schroder

I can’t see the Celtics giving Smart and Richardson extensions AFTER signing Schröder without the Celtics trying those two out as the starters first.  They’re both being paid like starters and are here next year — have to see if that works before going with Schröder, who’s almost certainly gone next summer.
Richardson is definitely not being paid starter money.  His contract is barely above the MLE. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #174 on: September 15, 2021, 01:35:25 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
This team just gets handsomer and handsomer.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #175 on: September 15, 2021, 01:39:12 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Interesting:

Horford
Tatum
Brown
Smart
Schroder

Richardson is definitely not being paid starter money.  His contract is barely above the MLE.

Richardson is making top 5 money on this year's team and next year's team.  If he weren't extended, he could be viewed as having been been paid starter money by a former team that's moved on, but as we extended him, it's different.

He's making 20% more than the MLE this year, and MLE players, especially those getting the big MLE, are frequently starters for their team.  He's definitely being paid starter money.

« Reply #176 on: September 15, 2021, 02:51:20 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Interesting:

Horford
Tatum
Brown
Smart
Schroder

Richardson is making top 5 money on this year's team and next year's team.  If he weren't extended, he could be viewed as having been been paid starter money by a former team that's moved on, but as we extended him, it's different.

He's making 20% more than the MLE this year, and MLE players, especially those getting the big MLE, are frequently starters for their team.  He's definitely being paid starter money.

Of Schroder, Smart, and Richardson, I am not sure it matters how much they are making.  Schroder is only making $6M.  These are 3 starter level players where at most only two will start and maybe only 1.  Our starters last season were PG, Brown, Tatum, Theis, and Thompson for most of the season.  Probably not, but we may start 2 big again or there could be some other combination.

But at a minimum, one of Schroder, Smart, and Richardson will come off the bench and I don't think the coach is going to decide that based on their contracts (at least I sure hope he doesn't).

« Reply #177 on: September 15, 2021, 02:56:22 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Interesting:

Horford
Tatum
Brown
Smart
Schroder

Of Schroder, Smart, and Richardson, I am not sure it matters how much they are making.  Schroder is only making $6M.  These are 3 starter level players where at most only two will start and maybe only 1.  Our starters last season were PG, Brown, Tatum, Theis, and Thompson for most of the season.  Probably not, but we may start 2 big again or there could be some other combination.

But at a minimum, one of Schroder, Smart, and Richardson will come off the bench and I don't think the coach is going to decide that based on their contracts (at least I sure hope he doesn't).

The original point is getting lost.  Smart and Richardson both signed extensions this summer, at an amount of money that you would normally commit to starters.  Schröder is only here for one year.  Accordingly, it makes sense to give a Smart-Richardson starting backcourt to work first, because you’ve got it for at least two seasons, rather than relegating one to the bench off the bat.  If it doesn’t work, then other combinations make sense too.  Contract status shouldn’t decide who’s playing always, but it is a reasonable factor to consider the priority to which you give certain lineups, especially early in the year, and then going on performance once you have enough of a sample later in the year.

« Reply #178 on: September 15, 2021, 03:03:19 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Interesting:

Horford
Tatum
Brown
Smart
Schroder

The original point is getting lost.  Smart and Richardson both signed extensions this summer, at an amount of money that you would normally commit to starters.  Schröder is only here for one year.  Accordingly, it makes sense to give a Smart-Richardson starting backcourt to work first, because you’ve got it for at least two seasons, rather than relegating one to the bench off the bat.  If it doesn’t work, then other combinations make sense too.  Contract status shouldn’t decide who’s playing always, but it is a reasonable factor to consider the priority to which you give certain lineups, especially early in the year, and then going on performance once you have enough of a sample later in the year.

That works if Tatum is your PF but if you want Tatum at SF and Brown as your SG then you start Smart, Brown, Tatum, Juancho, TIMELORD!

« Reply #179 on: September 15, 2021, 04:05:16 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Interesting:

Horford
Tatum
Brown
Smart
Schroder

That works if Tatum is your PF but if you want Tatum at SF and Brown as your SG then you start Smart, Brown, Tatum, Juancho, TIMELORD!

Considering this article by the Celtics PR calls Juancho "a solid bench player", that doesn't seem to be the direction they're leaning towards out of the gate.

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/offseason-091521-celtics-bolster-frontcourt-depth-addition-hernangomez