Author Topic: Edwards & Dunn Traded for Juancho Hernangomez  (Read 28850 times)

Re: Edwards & Dunn Traded for Juancho Hernangomez
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2021, 05:33:08 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Not a fan of having Juancho on our payroll for $7,419,505 in 2022/23. Anyway, it's a minor trade. I guess we finally have our 15-man roster.

I don’t understand the fans that worry about money. Wyc, is that you? If so, my bad for mistaking you for a a fan.
Because the team decision-makers care about money? It's pretty obvious if you're trying to think about where your team is headed, which is what fans do.
This is the greatest. TP
I don't care about Wyc's money. I care about how the money he will spend effects the team.

Well keep counting your pennies while the Lakers rack up championships.
What is the point of posts like these? Are you just trying to be antagonistic to other fans for not cheering their team on the way you do?

This is a discussion board I use rhetoric to drive on my point. We do not have to agree. I have not been rude to anyone. Don’t criticize my style because we disagree. My point is you guys worry about money at the expense of winning. I don’t get it. Other teams spend so I don’t understand the emphasis some have on penny pinching. I used the Lakers as an example of a team that spends and wins. Maybe I am sensitive to that because I live in California and deal with Laker fans quite a bit.

« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2021, 05:35:43 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
I preferred keeping Dunn as another player to strengthen a tenacious defensive culture. Having players like him in practice forces players to compete and elevate their offense even when he doesn’t see the floor. Not earning playoff minutes for a short-handed Hawks team and having the numbers of one of the worst offensive players in the NBA didn’t bode well for directly impacting games. Good luck to him and Carsen in the careers and lives.

Juancho’s 3P% is erratic and not earning minutes for a Spanish Olympic team starting this version of the Gasol brothers speaks to how good he is. He’s versatile on offense and defense and has shown the potential of a long range shooter. We’ll see who emerges as the backup 4 from the Parker/Williams/Hernangomez trio.

« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2021, 05:38:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Not a fan of having Juancho on our payroll for $7,419,505 in 2022/23. Anyway, it's a minor trade. I guess we finally have our 15-man roster.

I don’t understand the fans that worry about money. Wyc, is that you? If so, my bad for mistaking you for a a fan.
Because the team decision-makers care about money? It's pretty obvious if you're trying to think about where your team is headed, which is what fans do.
This is the greatest. TP
I don't care about Wyc's money. I care about how the money he will spend effects the team.

What is the point of posts like these? Are you just trying to be antagonistic to other fans for not cheering their team on the way you do?

This is a discussion board I use rhetoric to drive on my point. We do not have to agree. I have not been rude to anyone. Don’t criticize my style because we disagree. My point is you guys worry about money at the expense of winning. I don’t get it. Other teams spend so I don’t understand the emphasis some have on penny pinching. I used the Lakers as an example of a team that spends and wins. Maybe I am sensitive to that because I live in California and deal with Laker fans quite a bit.
I'm not sure how saying "well keep counting your pennies while the Lakers rack up chips" could be construed as anything but rude.

And we do not even disagree. I think the Celtics ownership is too cheap for its own good.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2021, 05:46:31 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

This is the greatest. TP

I'm not sure how saying "well keep counting your pennies while the Lakers rack up chips" could be construed as anything but rude.

And we do not even disagree. I think the Celtics ownership is too cheap for its own good.

Well, I did not mean to be rude.

« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2021, 05:52:22 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
So...

Horford / Timelord / Kanter / Fernando
Tatum / Hernagomez / Jabari / Williams
Brown / Nesmith
Richardson / Romeo
Smart / Schroder / Pritchard

It's interesting that so many people are talking about "roster balance".  We've got eight guys at the big positions, although Tatum can obviously thrive at SF.

Jabari is 100% gone, right?  There's no need to pay more than the subsidized minimum for the deep bench, is there?

You know who would have brought balance to that lineup?  Evan Fournier. ;)

Depth chart looks pretty [dang] good to me. Will take that starting lineup over: Kemba, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Thompson every day of the week. Bench is so much better too. Smart can take a lot of the backup minutes at SG/SF as well.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2021, 05:56:42 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

This is the greatest. TP

Because if your not the Lakers with Lebron, spending does not equal winning. Even then maybe not.
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/2020/

It's not "penny pinching". A bad move now limits you in the future.

« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2021, 05:59:54 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
So...

Brown / Nesmith
Richardson / Romeo

It's interesting that so many people are talking about "roster balance".  We've got eight guys at the big positions, although Tatum can obviously thrive at SF.

Jabari is 100% gone, right?  There's no need to pay more than the subsidized minimum for the deep bench, is there?

Depth chart looks pretty [dang] good to me. Will take that starting lineup over Kemba, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Thompson every day of the week. Bench is so much better too. Smart can take a lot of the backup minutes at SG/SF as well.

I wonder if this means more playing time for Tatum at SF, and if so how much. Let’s say Tatum splits his time between PF and SF it will open much more playing time between Hernagomez, Parker, and G Williams if coach Ime chooses to. At least have the flexibility to play bigger. 

« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2021, 06:03:22 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
So...

Brown / Nesmith
Richardson / Romeo

Depth chart looks pretty [dang] good to me. Will take that starting lineup over Kemba, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Thompson every day of the week. Bench is so much better too. Smart can take a lot of the backup minutes at SG/SF as well.

I wonder if this means more playing time for Tatum at SF, and if so how much. Let’s say Tatum splits his time between PF and SF it will open much more playing time between Hernagomez, Parker, and G Williams if coach Ime chooses to. At least have the flexibility to play bigger.
Is that better? By Roy's breakdown I'd rather play the smaller guys.
I think we don't have a good PF option, so buy more lottery tickets. Maybe one fits.

« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2021, 06:07:09 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
So...

Brown / Nesmith
Richardson / Romeo

I think we don't have a good PF option, so buy more lottery tickets. Maybe one fits.

Tatum isn’t a good PF option? He is the prototypical modern PF which 90% of the NBA teams are going with.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2021, 06:10:31 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
So...

Brown / Nesmith
Richardson / Romeo

Tatum isn’t a good PF option? He is the prototypical modern PF which 90% of the NBA teams are going with.
I don't have a problem with Tatum as the PF, some do. Behind him is the issue.
I'm probably on an island, but I think GWil is the front runner.

« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2021, 06:23:03 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
So...

Brown / Nesmith
Richardson / Romeo

So you let Parker, Juan, and Grant battle it out for the 10-12 backup PF mins available. There will be certain matchups where Horford will get minutes there too, if the other team does go big. Not super worried about the backup mins for the C’s best player.

« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2021, 06:23:36 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
So...

Brown / Nesmith
Richardson / Romeo

I have no problem with Tatum at PF or SF. A lot of the players we have can play multiple positions and guard those spots well. A Starting 5 of TIMELORD, Hernangomez, Tatum, Brown, Smart is a good starting five and makes our bench one of the best in the NBA. This is going to be a deep team. I can't rember the last time I thought that.

« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2021, 06:30:57 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
ESPN: Boston Celtics: B

"... [because of other roster additions there was] little room for Dunn -- or Edwards, a holdover on the roster -- to earn regular minutes. As a result, sending both of them out for a forward who can hypothetically provide floor spacing made sense for the Celtics."

"It's important to note that Hernangomez's stretch ability hasn't really shown up much in practice since he made 41% of his 3-point attempts as a rookie."

"Hernangomez's 2022-23 salary is entirely non-guaranteed through the day before free agency. So the Celtics aren't taking on additional long-term salary with this deal and could pay Hernangomez less than Dunn and Edwards if he fails to reach the performance incentives."

"A 2-for-1 trade opens up a roster spot for Parker, who otherwise would have had to beat out a player with a guaranteed contract to make the team. However, Parker fills a similar role to that of Hernangomez, and Boston might now prefer to add a guard or keep the 15th roster spot open for midseason deals."

===

IOW is a low-cost move to shore up the PF and provide more flexibility. MEM got a C. They now have 18 players under contract after buying out Rondo earlier this week.

« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2021, 06:41:31 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
So...

Brown / Nesmith
Richardson / Romeo

So you let Parker, Juan, and Grant battle it out for the 10-12 backup PF mins available. There will be certain matchups where Horford will get minutes there too, if the other team does go big. Not super worried about the backup mins for the C’s best player.
I'm not super worried either. But, Tatum's on/off numbers are dramatic. Recently we don't have a good combination when he's off the floor. I agree we let the players "battle it out" and Jaun has a better chance of succeeding than Carson.

I'm just not sure that any of the three will be better than Shoeder, Richardson, Neismith, or Langford, in whatever combination they play with.

« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2021, 08:03:05 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
ESPN: Boston Celtics: B

"... [because of other roster additions there was] little room for Dunn -- or Edwards, a holdover on the roster -- to earn regular minutes. As a result, sending both of them out for a forward who can hypothetically provide floor spacing made sense for the Celtics."

"It's important to note that Hernangomez's stretch ability hasn't really shown up much in practice since he made 41% of his 3-point attempts as a rookie."

"Hernangomez's 2022-23 salary is entirely non-guaranteed through the day before free agency. So the Celtics aren't taking on additional long-term salary with this deal and could pay Hernangomez less than Dunn and Edwards if he fails to reach the performance incentives."

"A 2-for-1 trade opens up a roster spot for Parker, who otherwise would have had to beat out a player with a guaranteed contract to make the team. However, Parker fills a similar role to that of Hernangomez, and Boston might now prefer to add a guard or keep the 15th roster spot open for midseason deals."

===

IOW is a low-cost move to shore up the PF and provide more flexibility. MEM got a C. They now have 18 players under contract after buying out Rondo earlier this week.

He shot 42% from 3pt in the 2019-2020 season... so the year before last. Hopefully he can get back to that.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 08:25:33 PM by Goldstar88 »