Author Topic: Edwards & Dunn Traded for Juancho Hernangomez  (Read 29089 times)

Re: Edwards & Dunn Traded for Juancho Hernangomez
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2021, 02:32:42 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Juancho vs GWill vs Jabari. Who gets the back up minutes now? Am still rooting for Jabari.

I am not sure that Hernangomez is an upgrade over Jabari or GWill, but more offers a different look.  I see these 3 as kind of PF by committee.  I think there are going to be around 24 minutes per game available to these 3, maybe a little more.  Depending on match ups and situations, the coach can mix and match.  Maybe one of these emerges as a clear best option, that would be great, but to start at least, it will be different combinations for any given game I would think.

I am happy enough with the trade.  We really didn't need Dunn or Edwards, but this is a very minor impact trade.

« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2021, 02:38:34 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Juancho vs GWill vs Jabari. Who gets the back up minutes now? Am still rooting for Jabari.

I am not sure that Hernangomez is an upgrade over Jabari or GWill, but more offers a different look.  I see these 3 as kind of PF by committee.  I think there are going to be around 24 minutes per game available to these 3, maybe a little more.  Depending on match ups and situations, the coach can mix and match.  Maybe one of these emerges as a clear best option, that would be great, but to start at least, it will be different combinations for any given game I would think.

I am happy enough with the trade.  We really didn't need Dunn or Edwards, but this is a very minor impact trade.

i disagree! this really impacts me in a positive way in that i don't have to watch Edwards again (i hope he doesn't read this)

« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2021, 02:45:47 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Edwards is gonna drop 40 against us in some meaningless game at some point and a few heads are gonna explode on these boards.
Greg

« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2021, 02:58:47 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1671
At minimum we got rid of Carson Edwards so it’s an automatic win for me. Getting a legit PF for two useless players is also an automatic win. On top of it we preserved next year’s salary flexibility.

I mean, Dunn's defense is the only NBA-caliber skill in that entire trade. 

I accept that Dunn didn't have a spot in the rotation with us, so it's not like we gave up anything we needed.  The deal makes sense from an administrative roster-management perspective.  I just don't think that Juancho is a prize.  He's a warm body who can soak a few minutes as a backup PF and that's pretty much it. 

« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2021, 03:02:23 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
This is a good move from a roster and future trade standpoint.  Move two players to get to the allotted roster size with the flexibility to move on from Parker and open a spot to someone on a non guaranteed deal if they bring someone in. 

This guy will rarely play and is just here to keep the bench warm with Grant and Parker.

« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2021, 03:24:38 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Maybe the underrated part of this deal is his contract is non guaranteed next year, and his salary could be a very useful trading piece part of a bigger trade later on?

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2021, 03:31:45 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
Maybe the underrated part of this deal is his contract is non guaranteed next year, and his salary could be a very useful trading piece part of a bigger trade later on?

It also balances out the roster for this year as well and the roster makes much more sense.

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2021, 03:35:02 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
I love this trade. Edwards does not belong in the NBA
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2021, 03:42:01 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379

You're assuming that Brad won't extend him  ;D
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2021, 03:42:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Those type of contracts are less useful than they used to be.  Before the last CBA, you could trade that $7.4 million non-guaranteed contract for a guy making around $9 million, and the acquiring team could immediately cut that non-guaranteed salary.  Essentially, they didn't have to take back any salary at all.

That doesn't work anymore, as only the guaranteed salary being traded counts for salary matching purposes.

He's essentially an expiring contract for us.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2021, 03:56:59 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
So...

Horford / Timelord / Kanter / Fernando
Tatum / Hernagomez / Jabari / Williams
Brown / Nesmith
Richardson / Romeo
Smart / Schroder / Pritchard

It's interesting that so many people are talking about "roster balance".  We've got eight guys at the big positions, although Tatum can obviously thrive at SF.

Jabari is 100% gone, right?  There's no need to pay more than the subsidized minimum for the deep bench, is there?

You know who would have brought balance to that lineup?  Evan Fournier. ;)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 04:10:18 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2021, 04:07:03 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am not sure that Hernangomez is an upgrade over Jabari or GWill, but more offers a different look.

He  is an upgrade over GWill.   Hernangomez is taller, and he isn't earthbound and has put up more rebounds and points but Grant is the better shooter.  Parker can flat out score.   

Offensively,  At one point he averaged over 12 PPG during a 14 game stint last year at 29 MPG, Grant can't even get that per 36.
Defensively, he is not much to write home about, but neither is Grant.

Career PER of 11 to Grant's 7.

https://stathead.com/tiny/b1j2h

It's interesting that so many people are talking about "roster balance".  We've got eight guys at the big positions, although Tatum can obviously thrive at SF.

Timelord has been unreliable but brilliant when healthy, AL is up there in age.  I think this gives us a little flexibility in terms of lineups and his money is guaranteed next year correct?   So there is a fiscal component?  Do we have a roster spot left?   

So it seems Ainge was the small ball guy, Brad has made us bigger.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 04:13:52 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2021, 04:12:08 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
So...

Brown / Nesmith
Richardson / Romeo

Jabari is 100% gone, right?  There's no need to pay more than the subsidized minimum for the deep bench, is there?
Isn't the tax based on actual salary, not the subsidized one? I think "2- year vet min" is only for the cap, not the tax. I could be wrong.

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2021, 04:21:05 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
So...

Brown / Nesmith
Richardson / Romeo

Isn't the tax based on actual salary, not the subsidized one? I think "2- year vet min" is only for the cap, not the tax. I could be wrong.

Nope.  Only the subsidized part is subject to the tax.

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2021, 04:26:15 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
So...

Brown / Nesmith
Richardson / Romeo

Nope.  Only the subsidized part is subject to the tax.

Yeah, I think Jabari is gone unless he wins a major role in camp.  You don’t cut a guy you’d have in your top 8 to save marginal tax dollars, but you also don’t need to have your 12th man make a penny over the veteran minimum if you have the option not to.