Author Topic: Edwards & Dunn Traded for Juancho Hernangomez  (Read 29060 times)

Re: Edwards & Dunn Traded for Juancho Hernangomez
« Reply #150 on: September 07, 2021, 04:37:03 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I didn’t think that Jabari‘s defense was terrible in Boston. I think the effort was there, and he made a few plays. I don’t think he was being targeted repeatedly as the weak point of our defense. I expect that that would happen in a playoff series, but not so much in the regular season.

That said, historically his defense has been pretty awful. I don’t think that he was unplayable, however, just due to the other sub-NBA players behind him.

Honestly don't recall much on the defensive side of things in the playoffs, but I thought Jabari was our best offensive player outside of Tatum in the playoffs.

Of course, can't expect that type of efficiency in the season... but it was nice to see.

I do think we may see quite a bit of Juancho at a SF with Jabari at PF during the season, assuming he's not cut.

This new roster has a ton of flexibility. It's almost like it was built by a coach instead of a GM.  ;D

« Reply #151 on: September 07, 2021, 04:39:04 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I didn’t think that Jabari‘s defense was terrible in Boston. I think the effort was there, and he made a few plays. I don’t think he was being targeted repeatedly as the weak point of our defense. I expect that that would happen in a playoff series, but not so much in the regular season.

That said, historically his defense has been pretty awful. I don’t think that he was unplayable, however, just due to the other sub-NBA players behind him.

Honestly don't recall much on the defensive side of things in the playoffs, but I thought Jabari was our best offensive player outside of Tatum in the playoffs.

Of course, can't expect that type of efficiency in the season... but it was nice to see.

I do think we may see quite a bit of Juancho at a SF with Jabari at PF during the season, assuming he's not cut.

This new roster has a ton of flexibility. It's almost like it was built by a coach instead of a GM.  ;D

Well, Ainge was a player and coach during his career as well... and drafted by the Blue Jays.

« Reply #152 on: September 07, 2021, 04:40:16 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Well, Ainge was a player and coach during his career as well... and drafted by the Blue Jays.

Good player but I don't remember him being a good coach...

« Reply #153 on: September 07, 2021, 04:58:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

He was a successful one.  .602 career winning percentage with the Suns (which is better than Brad's .557, incidentally).  Unfortunately, though, his coaching tenure is best known for Robert Horry throwing a towel at him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #154 on: September 07, 2021, 05:36:08 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

He was a successful one.  .602 career winning percentage with the Suns (which is better than Brad's .557, incidentally).  Unfortunately, though, his coaching tenure is best known for Robert Horry throwing a towel at him.

He only coached 3 years...

« Reply #155 on: September 07, 2021, 05:37:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

He only coached 3 years...
I think his tenure ended prematurely due to the Rob Horry towel incident.

He was still a relatively good coach. But a long time ago!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #156 on: September 07, 2021, 06:02:56 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

« Reply #157 on: September 07, 2021, 06:19:52 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Interesting:

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/07/nba-boston-celtics-start-juancho/

I saw that on Karalis’ podcast the other day. He wasn’t exactly bullish and just was trying to convey that Hernangomez shoots better with extended minutes.

I think we’re best served trotting out our best defensive 5 as the starters and figuring out the rotations afterward. Just my opinion!

« Reply #158 on: September 07, 2021, 06:20:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Good thing we didn't make room on our roster last year so we could keep Bane!!!! ::)

« Reply #159 on: September 07, 2021, 06:22:13 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Interesting:

I saw that on Karalis’ podcast the other day. He wasn’t exactly bullish and just was trying to convey that Hernangomez shoots better with extended minutes.

I think we’re best served trotting out our best defensive 5 as the starters and figuring out the rotations afterward. Just my opinion!

If TIMELORD and Smart are your starters you need another scorer at the 4 or the 2 depending on how you go.

« Reply #160 on: September 07, 2021, 06:23:27 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Interesting:

If TIMELORD and Smart are your starters you need another scorer at the 4 or the 2 depending on how you go.
I doubt Timelord starts to begin the season. Probably Horford-Tatum-Brown-Richardson-Smart, or Horford-Tatum-Brown-Smart-Schroder

« Reply #161 on: September 07, 2021, 06:24:50 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Interesting:

I doubt Timelord starts to begin the season. Probably Horford-Tatum-Brown-Richardson-Smart, or Horford-Tatum-Brown-Smart-Schroder

I'd rather see TIMLORD, Hernangomez, Tatum, Brown, Smart.

« Reply #162 on: September 07, 2021, 06:26:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Interesting:

That lineup is worse on both ends.

« Reply #163 on: September 07, 2021, 06:33:40 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Interesting:

That lineup is worse on both ends.

I think it fits together better. Schroder definitely should come off the bench. TIMELORD has earned a chance to start.

« Reply #164 on: September 07, 2021, 06:38:38 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Interesting:

It would be very surprising to se Hernangomez start.  I could see the starting 5 being either Horford or TimeLord, and I imagine it will be closer to 50/50 over the season for those two because neither will be 100% available.  But Juancho seems unlikely.