Author Topic: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)  (Read 67335 times)

Re: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2021, 01:41:39 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Its kind of goes back to the issue with the CBA and the players having so much power (especially with agents like Paul involved). What can the 76ers or any other team really do if Ben decides he doesn't want to play somewhere regardless of how many years are left on his contract.

The Sixers (and all teams) can identify players that are likely to force their way out early, and trade them for top dollar before they become an issue, or never invest in them to begin with.

It's no secret this would happen with Simmons.  He publicly said he wanted the Lakers to win the lottery so they could draft him.  Here's a post from me in 2016 loosely predicting this and saying I'd be leary of selecting Simmons because I knew this would happen.

There's a lot of trades the Sixers could have made over the last 4 years for Simmons.   Sure you might not get a player(s) of equal skill, but it's a balancing act for teams, you can't just get the most skilled players, you have to balance skill, chemistry, longevity, with odds of winning.

If you want to get engaged to a girl, that all signs from the beginning pointed to her breaking off the relationship early and/or cheating on you, I won't feel that bad for you when she leaves you at the alter or divorces you after a couple of years to go be with someone else.  The signs are there, you can take the gamble or get out of the relationship (or never enter into it to begin with).

Right away, what could the Sixers have traded the rights to Simmons for if they thought he's a flight risk?  Probably Jaylen Brown + the C's Brooklyn pick next year?  Maybe Ingram and next years 1st from the Lakers, or Ingram+Randle/Russell?  Maybe the rights to Jamal Murray and a young Center picked in the 2nd round the previous year?  After Simmons "rookie year" in '18, could the Sixers have traded him for the rights to Luka or Trae Young? In '19 could they have traded him for Morant (and kept Butler in the process)?

So they went all in on Simmons, and if a bum like me can see this problem coming 5 years ago, what's the Sixers excuse?  (To be fair, maybe Kawhi doesn't hit the shot in '19 or Simmons doesn't get injured in '20 or a couple of calls go differently vs. Atlanta and the Sixers are polishing their championship trophies right now, it's a gamble).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2021, 01:52:09 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
The Twolves absolutely covet him.  What can they offer?

Simmons + ? for Russell + Beasley + picks?

I don’t think that they would trade Anthony Edwards.

I think Beasley, Edwards, and Prince.  I don’t think Philly does it without Edwards, and Russell makes too much money to include with other players unless Philly is willing to pay another $20ish million in luxury tax on top of giving up the bets player in the deal.

I don't think they will include Edwards.   What team is out there offering anyone of such value for Simmons right now?   At best, a good potential young player or a solid to good role player, a contract filler and a protected pick.

Also a lot of chatter he really wants to play in California. Obviously Sixers can and will trade him anywhere, but I do think a smaller market team like Minnesota would be very reluctant to give up someone like Edwards and risk Simmons throwing a temper tantrum 1.5- 2 years in and doing the same routine he is now cause he doesn't like Minnesota. Its kind of goes back to the issue with the CBA and the players having so much power (especially with agents like Paul involved). What can the 76ers or any other team really do if Ben decides he doesn't want to play somewhere regardless of how many years are left on his contract. He can come in fat like Harden did, mess around on the court, insult teammates skill level at press conferences and go to strip clubs every night. What recourse does the team have against that behavior?
fining and suspending for cause.

Not to mention Simmons probably needs to rehab his image as a player right now.

I mean harden literally put the health of a bunch of people at risk publicly and openly flouting the covid protocols during a time and area the risk were at absolute peak. He also showed up fat and threw his teammates under the bus at a press conference for an organization that had catered to his every demand and request for more than a half decade. What did harden do to rehab his image? Cause I don’t hear people complaining about him doing any of that now just how great the nets are.

He got in shape and played well for the team he went to.

Not to mention Harden is clearly a better player then Simmons.   The Rockets could of had Simmons.

You literally just made my point for me. Simmons can do all this crap also and get traded and then get in shape and play well and nobody will care.

« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2021, 02:49:29 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I suppose he is being paid,  likE much of the country not to work .

« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2021, 03:01:06 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I think Beasley, Edwards, and Prince.  I don’t think Philly does it without Edwards, and Russell makes too much money to include with other players unless Philly is willing to pay another $20ish million in luxury tax on top of giving up the bets player in the deal.

I don't think they will include Edwards.   What team is out there offering anyone of such value for Simmons right now?   At best, a good potential young player or a solid to good role player, a contract filler and a protected pick.

Also a lot of chatter he really wants to play in California. Obviously Sixers can and will trade him anywhere, but I do think a smaller market team like Minnesota would be very reluctant to give up someone like Edwards and risk Simmons throwing a temper tantrum 1.5- 2 years in and doing the same routine he is now cause he doesn't like Minnesota. Its kind of goes back to the issue with the CBA and the players having so much power (especially with agents like Paul involved). What can the 76ers or any other team really do if Ben decides he doesn't want to play somewhere regardless of how many years are left on his contract. He can come in fat like Harden did, mess around on the court, insult teammates skill level at press conferences and go to strip clubs every night. What recourse does the team have against that behavior?

I mean harden literally put the health of a bunch of people at risk publicly and openly flouting the covid protocols during a time and area the risk were at absolute peak. He also showed up fat and threw his teammates under the bus at a press conference for an organization that had catered to his every demand and request for more than a half decade. What did harden do to rehab his image? Cause I don’t hear people complaining about him doing any of that now just how great the nets are.

Not to mention Harden is clearly a better player then Simmons.   The Rockets could of had Simmons.

You literally just made my point for me. Simmons can do all this crap also and get traded and then get in shape and play well and nobody will care.

Except he doesn't have the history Harden has.   For Simmons, it would be two straight teams that wanted to dump him.   He would have no real way to influence where he wants to go.   

If he plays hard for the team he goes to and looks good, he then has a better position to ask the team to move him and they have a chance of getting an equal or better return.

« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2021, 03:12:04 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Except he doesn't have the history Harden has.   For Simmons, it would be two straight teams that wanted to dump him.   He would have no real way to influence where he wants to go.   

If he plays hard for the team he goes to and looks good, he then has a better position to ask the team to move him and they have a chance of getting an equal or better return.
Yeah Simmons isn't as good as Harden and didn't give his team basically his full prime to try and make it work. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2021, 03:23:19 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Edit double post

« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2021, 03:25:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Yeah Simmons isn't as good as Harden and didn't give his team basically his full prime to try and make it work.

Yeah I mean nobody here is trying to argue simmons is as good as harden. But harden is 7 years older and, fair or not, had his own reputation of not being able to win in the playoffs. I just don’t get the concept that the stars can’t basically do whatever they want with the way the league is set up right now. I think I like simmons less than the average person on this board, but surprised people think he has zero leverage here.

« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2021, 03:43:25 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yeah I mean nobody here is trying to argue simmons is as good as harden. But harden is 7 years older and, fair or not, had his own reputation of not being able to win in the playoffs. I just don’t get the concept that the stars can’t basically do whatever they want with the way the league is set up right now. I think I like simmons less than the average person on this board, but surprised people think he has zero leverage here.
No one has said he has zero leverage, but he isn't Harden or any of the other more veteran stars that have forced their way out recently (like Davis or Kawhi or George). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2021, 04:03:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

No one has said he has zero leverage, but he isn't Harden or any of the other more veteran stars that have forced their way out recently (like Davis or Kawhi or George).

Not sure how much less valuable he is than george in his situation or Leonard with one year left on his deal coming off a serious and confusing injury. Davis was going to end up on lakers either way and the lakers were pretty dumb to give away as much as they did for him (suspect that was forced by Lebron).

« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2021, 04:57:00 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He publicly said he wanted the Lakers to win the lottery so they could draft him.  Here's a post from me in 2016 loosely predicting this and saying I'd be leary of selecting Simmons because I knew this would happen.

I would love to see that happen, because he would torpedo them and is about as gutless as LeBron so he'd be a perfect fit.

« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2021, 05:30:42 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Simmons can pull a Harden and nothing will happen if he does it right.

« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2021, 06:22:47 PM »

Online Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
The primary difference between Houston and Philly is Philly will still be good without Simmons. They're still a good playoff team without Simmons. 

« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2021, 06:25:52 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
The primary difference between Houston and Philly is Philly will still be good without Simmons. They're still a good playoff team without Simmons.

It is interesting that Philly was 10 wins 11 losses in the 21 games Embiid missed and 7 wins 7 losses in the 14 games Simmons missed.

I was surprised their W-L record was so bad without Simmons. Then I remembered many in the media critiquing Philly's defense without Simmons saying it was too slow on the perimeter. They were giving up too many easy shots / easy dribble penetration.

Interesting.

« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2021, 06:32:29 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

It is interesting that Philly was 10 wins 11 losses in the 21 games Embiid missed and 7 wins 7 losses in the 14 games Simmons missed.

I was surprised their W-L record was so bad without Simmons. Then I remembered many in the media critiquing Philly's defense without Simmons saying it was too slow on the perimeter. They were giving up too many easy shots / easy dribble penetration.

Interesting.

How many of those missed games overlapped?

« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2021, 06:33:56 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Its kind of goes back to the issue with the CBA and the players having so much power (especially with agents like Paul involved). What can the 76ers or any other team really do if Ben decides he doesn't want to play somewhere regardless of how many years are left on his contract.

The Sixers (and all teams) can identify players that are likely to force their way out early, and trade them for top dollar before they become an issue, or never invest in them to begin with.

It's no secret this would happen with Simmons.  He publicly said he wanted the Lakers to win the lottery so they could draft him.  Here's a post from me in 2016 loosely predicting this and saying I'd be leary of selecting Simmons because I knew this would happen.

There's a lot of trades the Sixers could have made over the last 4 years for Simmons.   Sure you might not get a player(s) of equal skill, but it's a balancing act for teams, you can't just get the most skilled players, you have to balance skill, chemistry, longevity, with odds of winning.

If you want to get engaged to a girl, that all signs from the beginning pointed to her breaking off the relationship early and/or cheating on you, I won't feel that bad for you when she leaves you at the alter or divorces you after a couple of years to go be with someone else.  The signs are there, you can take the gamble or get out of the relationship (or never enter into it to begin with).

Right away, what could the Sixers have traded the rights to Simmons for if they thought he's a flight risk?  Probably Jaylen Brown + the C's Brooklyn pick next year?  Maybe Ingram and next years 1st from the Lakers, or Ingram+Randle/Russell?  Maybe the rights to Jamal Murray and a young Center picked in the 2nd round the previous year?  After Simmons "rookie year" in '18, could the Sixers have traded him for the rights to Luka or Trae Young? In '19 could they have traded him for Morant (and kept Butler in the process)?

So they went all in on Simmons, and if a bum like me can see this problem coming 5 years ago, what's the Sixers excuse?  (To be fair, maybe Kawhi doesn't hit the shot in '19 or Simmons doesn't get injured in '20 or a couple of calls go differently vs. Atlanta and the Sixers are polishing their championship trophies right now, it's a gamble).

Joel Embiid wanted to fall in the draft so the Lakers could pick him at 7.  He got drafted by Philly and was criticized for making an angry face when his name was called.

By using the logic you mentioned in your post, Philly should have seen writing on the wall and traded him. Moves like that get GMs fired. 
Greg