Author Topic: Tatum Gaining Muscle  (Read 7660 times)

Re: Tatum Gaining Muscle
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2021, 11:14:24 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Hopefully, this allows him to play through contact instead of playing for fouls.   The former is so much better once you have the strength to do it and you  get even more calls.

He looks good and all, but it seems like more of a mindset than actual physical ability. Tatum has always been strong 'enough' to at least attempt to play through contact. In fact - I remember him being more aggressive going to the rim his rookie year - he just chooses to go the Kyrie route and try to get a clean shot attempt off. From Hanlen's recent comments, it sounds like they are really trying to drill a more aggressive downhill mindset into Tatum, so that could be awesome.
I think mindset is part of it but more than that, I think it’s an actual skill like any other.  Some guys are really good at it.  The best in the world at it.  Others are not. 

Put it this way, if everyone could do it then everyone would.

« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2021, 04:45:03 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Someone asked Drew Hanlen on twitter what Tatum's big improvement is going to be next season and Hanlen replied "Getting downhill to rim more."

https://twitter.com/DrewHanlen/status/1436464411129098248?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Tatum looks like he's getting stronger and putting in the work but I attribute it as much to him being 23. Anyone else's body change when they were in their early 20's? Mine definitely did.

Anyway, him getting stronger and focusing on getting to the rim and getting to the line after already looking unstoppable at times last season is all great stuff for the Celtics.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2021, 06:30:56 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He looks good and all, but it seems like more of a mindset than actual physical ability. Tatum has always been strong 'enough' to at least attempt to play through contact. In fact - I remember him being more aggressive going to the rim his rookie year - he just chooses to go the Kyrie route and try to get a clean shot attempt off. From Hanlen's recent comments, it sounds like they are really trying to drill a more aggressive downhill mindset into Tatum, so that could be awesome.

Strength is a component of it.  Being able to take the hit and power through it.   That is why guys like Malone, and LeBron excel at it.   Really strong guys can create and hold space through the contact.

But your right, some of it is mental.  But strength helps with that too as you have more confidence when stronger.  I've played at under 200 in high school and 24O when I left college and those muscles make a huge difference.  The weight lifting really helped me and my body took it and I added mass easily.  I also did not lose much leaping as a result, cause I worked on my legs at the same time.