Author Topic: Tatum Gaining Muscle  (Read 7628 times)

Re: Tatum Gaining Muscle
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2021, 11:43:09 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Be nice if he could approach Karl Malone size but that is wishful thinking.

Karl Malone?  Why?  Think more Jimmy Butler but with a much better 3 pt shot.  That should be the target.  More free throws, better passing out of doubles (7 assts for Butler last season), and of course better finishing around the basket.  Butler has more strength and bulk which allows him to do all of this.  If Tatum can use his added strength and bulk to improve in those areas, combined with his elite shooting, he will be an elite NBA player for many years to come.

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2021, 11:43:43 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I will say, I remember one year kobe came in completely jacked (at about the same age) but he didn't keep it long term for whatever reason.

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2021, 11:48:46 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I will say, I remember one year kobe came in completely jacked (at about the same age) but he didn't keep it long term for whatever reason.

Based on the amount of energy being exerted by an elite wing for (ideally) about 100 games a year, it seems incredibly difficult to carry a lot more weight than is "natural."

Even in my rinky-dink college athlete days we used to lose about 10 pounds over the course of a season.

Tatum has the benefit of naturally filling out and getting stronger until he's in his late 20's, so hopefully whatever turns out to be "natural" for him is big. I know his dad is gigantic.

Re: Tatum: Off-Season PR or Big Change?
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2021, 11:49:20 AM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

I know a lot of players post off-season workout pictures while doing weights. These are usually a PR stunt and optic illusion, but Tatum hasn’t been someone that was ever interested in these stunts…so perhaps this could be a Giannis like physical jump?

All I know is this photographer is gonna win some awards.  Tatum is definitely getting after it but you can't get a better angle that makes Tatum look like the Rock's little brother. LOL.

Yeah, I think that picture is a bit misleading.  We just watched him play 3 weeks ago in the Olympics.  He didn’t look any different than last season. 

Still, I’m glad he’s working at it.  A few pounds of muscle gain will help.

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2021, 12:09:09 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Karl Malone?  Why?  Think more Jimmy Butler but with a much better 3 pt shot.  That should be the target.  More free throws, better passing out of doubles (7 assts for Butler last season), and of course better finishing around the basket.  Butler has more strength and bulk which allows him to do all of this.  If Tatum can use his added strength and bulk to improve in those areas, combined with his elite shooting, he will be an elite NBA player for many years to come.

I’m not sure he’ll ever get to Butler’s level of strength and bulk, as Butler seems to have a much stronger/bigger core and in the legs than it seems Tatum just couldn’t have.  Maybe something like prime Pippen or Grant Hill is something he should strive for strength wise given his body type, which should be plenty enough.

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2021, 02:32:10 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I’m not sure he’ll ever get to Butler’s level of strength and bulk, as Butler seems to have a much stronger/bigger core and in the legs than it seems Tatum just couldn’t have.  Maybe something like prime Pippen or Grant Hill is something he should strive for strength wise given his body type, which should be plenty enough.
To be fair Tatum's shoulders are insane, I think he has more potential there than Butler (obviously the legs and core are much more important for functional strength, but it's always nice to have a battering ram that you can knock people out of the way with in your shoulders when you have a full head of steam).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2021, 02:54:16 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

To be fair Tatum's shoulders are insane, I think he has more potential there than Butler (obviously the legs and core are much more important for functional strength, but it's always nice to have a battering ram that you can knock people out of the way with in your shoulders when you have a full head of steam).

The point isn't to match exactly Butler's strength and bulk but rather add strength and bulk so he can do some of those things that Butler does, or at least do them better than he does now.  Getting to the line being the big one I think but also finishing inside and to some extent passing.  Passing is easier if you can muscle your way inside vs standing or dribbling at the 3 pt line.

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2021, 03:02:36 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
If he had developed those muscles two years ago they might’ve won the title. With those guns he powers that slam right through Bam’s hand. 😉

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2021, 05:11:46 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Looks like Tatum isn't the only one getting shredded this season:

https://lakersdaily.com/motivated-dennis-schroder-looks-absolutely-shredded-in-latest-workout/

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2021, 05:21:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

https://lakersdaily.com/motivated-dennis-schroder-looks-absolutely-shredded-in-latest-workout/
Had me half expecting Dennis Schroder to have put on muscle mass for the first time in his career. Looks to be in good shape
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2021, 05:32:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174

Had me half expecting Dennis Schroder to have put on muscle mass for the first time in his career. Looks to be in good shape

I believe Schoder is always in good shape. He's streaky but always seems to play hard.

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2021, 04:25:55 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Only haters will say it's photoshopped.

5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2021, 08:18:54 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Hopefully, this allows him to play through contact instead of playing for fouls.   The former is so much better once you have the strength to do it and you  get even more calls.

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2021, 08:38:57 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Hopefully, this allows him to play through contact instead of playing for fouls.   The former is so much better once you have the strength to do it and you  get even more calls.

He looks good and all, but it seems like more of a mindset than actual physical ability. Tatum has always been strong 'enough' to at least attempt to play through contact. In fact - I remember him being more aggressive going to the rim his rookie year - he just chooses to go the Kyrie route and try to get a clean shot attempt off. From Hanlen's recent comments, it sounds like they are really trying to drill a more aggressive downhill mindset into Tatum, so that could be awesome.

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2021, 11:09:54 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

He looks good and all, but it seems like more of a mindset than actual physical ability. Tatum has always been strong 'enough' to at least attempt to play through contact. In fact - I remember him being more aggressive going to the rim his rookie year - he just chooses to go the Kyrie route and try to get a clean shot attempt off. From Hanlen's recent comments, it sounds like they are really trying to drill a more aggressive downhill mindset into Tatum, so that could be awesome.

If Tatum played with IT instead of Kyrie, I wonder if he would be drawing fouls like crazy. Kyrie always seemed to want to avoid contact. IT always seemed to invite it (until it seriously injured him)

- LilRip