Author Topic: Cam Newton released  (Read 7680 times)

Re: Cam Newton released
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2021, 02:16:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I wonder if Cam not getting vaccinated was part of the equation.
It probably didn't help, but Cam was beaten out of the job by Jones.

Jones might be too the early favorite for Offensive Rookie of the Year and my prediction is that at least 3 of the teams that selected QBs before Jones are going to long term regret not taking him.
Except they treated Cam like the starter and Mac like the back-up all preseason.  Given the series, who they played with, etc.
Did they treat Cam that way or are you making assumptions based on who began the preseason games. Mac did get plenty of reps with first team personnel. He did shine in practice. He was there for every practice. And, regardless of who he played with and against, played better than Cam.

Only Belichick knows how he viewed and treated each QB. Judging by the release, your opinion on how each were treated and viewed is completely wrong.
Cam started every game.  He played with the starters every game.  He played a limited number of series, which is what you do with the starters.  The Patriots treated Cam like he was the starter, which makes the move and the timing of it very strange.
Sorry you are wrong.

Just because Cam started doesn't mean he was treated as the starter. Belichick simply may have wanted to see if Cam could be the starter so gave him the opportunity to play with the starters figuring he could best determine if Cam has what it took to start by playing him with the best personnel.

Most starting QBs play at least one whole quarter of one preseason game and at least a half of another preseason game. That didn't happen. Cam got the quick hook and then Mac Jones played with the starters for a while.

Just because Cam auditioned with the starters before Jones doesn't mean he was treated as a starter. It's more like he was treated like a veteran getting to go first in the time each would audition for the starting position. That Cam got barely any playing time suggests he really wasn't being treated like a starter.
You are acting like this year is the same as year's past it isn't.  The loss of a preseason game has changed what is normal.  For example, Josh Allen didn't play at all in the first two preseason games and played 3 series in the final one.  Brady played in 1 series the first game, didn't play the 2nd at all, and played in 2 series in the third game.  Lamar Jackson barely played in the preseason. Rodgers didn't play a single preseason game and he wasn't injured (so not like Dak), same with Russell Wilson.  Mahomes played a bit more than other clear starters, but not a ton either (and he didn't even make the whole half in their final game). 

Newton was treated like he was the starter.  He played with the 1st team offense and played limited series.  Just like other starting QB's.  That is what is so strange about both him being cut and the timing.
You are comparing Cam to the most established and best QBs in the league that had zero chance of losing their jobs. Cam was in a battle to show he could still be a starting QB in this league. Cam was trying out for the job and had competition for the job.

He was treated as a veteran and played with the starters in trying out for the starter position. Mac was treated as a rookie and was second in line to play with the starters for his audition.

Neither were treated as the starter, they just tried out for the position with Cam going first and Jones second.

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2021, 03:27:46 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Went over Mac's pre season stats, I'll give you a quiz on why I think Bill was "sure" he should start:

36 for 43 - 389 yards
TD - 1
INT - 0
Sacks - 5

RTG

Wash - 78.2
Eagles - 91.1
NYG - 131.8

Mac Jones did what he did, but the most important thing that he didn't do was throw an interception.

For the entire pre season Jones had a PFF 94.4 which the best for all the rookie QB's in the NFL.

This is pretty exciting. Go Mac!
My first Patriots QB was Babe Parilli which means nothing more than I'm old.

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2021, 03:31:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Went over Mac's pre season stats, I'll give you a quiz on why I think Bill was "sure" he should start:

36 for 43 - 389 yards
TD - 1
INT - 0
Sacks - 5

RTG

Wash - 78.2
Eagles - 91.1
NYG - 131.8

Mac Jones did what he did, but the most important thing that he didn't do was throw an interception.

For the entire pre season Jones had a PFF 94.4 which the best for all the rookie QB's in the NFL.

Jim Plunkett here.

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2021, 03:37:06 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

36 for 43 - 389 yards
TD - 1
INT - 0
Sacks - 5

RTG

Wash - 78.2
Eagles - 91.1
NYG - 131.8

How about this for a reason...

Highest-graded preseasons by rookie QBs in PFF Preseason Era (2013)

1️⃣ Mac Jones, 2021 - 92.2
2️⃣ Patrick Mahomes, 2017 - 91.8

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2021, 03:58:55 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

36 for 43 - 389 yards
TD - 1
INT - 0
Sacks - 5

RTG

Wash - 78.2
Eagles - 91.1
NYG - 131.8

How about this for a reason...

Highest-graded preseasons by rookie QBs in PFF Preseason Era (2013)

1️⃣ Mac Jones, 2021 - 92.2
2️⃣ Patrick Mahomes, 2017 - 91.8

I said this in another thread.  I get that it is hard to compare different QBs on different teams, especially preseason, but people used to go all "Gaga" over Garoppolo in the couple of preseasons he had with the Pats.  To me, Mac Jones did much better than Garoppolo ever did in the preseason.  That to me is something you can compare and make some level of conclusion on.  I can extrapolate that and say that I think Mac Jones will be better than Jimmy Garoppolo.

Even that may be a stretch but anything beyond that, trying to compare Jones to other rookies in other preseasons on other teams, is just impossible.

So there is my hot take.  Mac Jones is better than Jimmy Garoppolo was as a rookie.  Based on that, I think Jones is better and will have a better career.  Jimmy Garoppolo went on to play in a super bowl.  So Mac Jones will.....

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2021, 03:59:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Jones might be too the early favorite for Offensive Rookie of the Year and my prediction is that at least 3 of the teams that selected QBs before Jones are going to long term regret not taking him.
Except they treated Cam like the starter and Mac like the back-up all preseason.  Given the series, who they played with, etc.
Did they treat Cam that way or are you making assumptions based on who began the preseason games. Mac did get plenty of reps with first team personnel. He did shine in practice. He was there for every practice. And, regardless of who he played with and against, played better than Cam.

Only Belichick knows how he viewed and treated each QB. Judging by the release, your opinion on how each were treated and viewed is completely wrong.
Cam started every game.  He played with the starters every game.  He played a limited number of series, which is what you do with the starters.  The Patriots treated Cam like he was the starter, which makes the move and the timing of it very strange.
Sorry you are wrong.

Just because Cam started doesn't mean he was treated as the starter. Belichick simply may have wanted to see if Cam could be the starter so gave him the opportunity to play with the starters figuring he could best determine if Cam has what it took to start by playing him with the best personnel.

Most starting QBs play at least one whole quarter of one preseason game and at least a half of another preseason game. That didn't happen. Cam got the quick hook and then Mac Jones played with the starters for a while.

Just because Cam auditioned with the starters before Jones doesn't mean he was treated as a starter. It's more like he was treated like a veteran getting to go first in the time each would audition for the starting position. That Cam got barely any playing time suggests he really wasn't being treated like a starter.
You are acting like this year is the same as year's past it isn't.  The loss of a preseason game has changed what is normal.  For example, Josh Allen didn't play at all in the first two preseason games and played 3 series in the final one.  Brady played in 1 series the first game, didn't play the 2nd at all, and played in 2 series in the third game.  Lamar Jackson barely played in the preseason. Rodgers didn't play a single preseason game and he wasn't injured (so not like Dak), same with Russell Wilson.  Mahomes played a bit more than other clear starters, but not a ton either (and he didn't even make the whole half in their final game). 

Newton was treated like he was the starter.  He played with the 1st team offense and played limited series.  Just like other starting QB's.  That is what is so strange about both him being cut and the timing.
You are comparing Cam to the most established and best QBs in the league that had zero chance of losing their jobs. Cam was in a battle to show he could still be a starting QB in this league. Cam was trying out for the job and had competition for the job.

He was treated as a veteran and played with the starters in trying out for the starter position. Mac was treated as a rookie and was second in line to play with the starters for his audition.

Neither were treated as the starter, they just tried out for the position with Cam going first and Jones second.
Andy Dalton didn't play much either and by all accounts is going to start the season as the Bears starting QB (Dalton didn't even play in the 3rd preseason game).  Cam was treated like he was the starter with the way he was used.  If there was an actual competition, then they should have given Cam more than a few series.  That is what you do with an actual competition.  You use both guys about the same amount and in similar ways.  There is nothing about how the Patriots handled the QB situation that would lead anyone to the conclusion there was an open competition.  They treated Cam like he was the starter and Jones like he was the young guy that needed reps.   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2021, 04:56:55 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I am stunned by this but I keep wondering, what is going through Mac Jones' head right now?  He is a very composed guy but he must be stunned.  Jones has looked ready in preseason games but this is suddenly a whole lotta pressure now on him.  He has a week to get used to it I guess.  It sure adds some excitement to the season.
I don’t think much rattles Mac Jones
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2021, 05:19:36 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I am stunned by this but I keep wondering, what is going through Mac Jones' head right now?  He is a very composed guy but he must be stunned.  Jones has looked ready in preseason games but this is suddenly a whole lotta pressure now on him.  He has a week to get used to it I guess.  It sure adds some excitement to the season.
I don’t think much rattles Mac Jones

Sure seems that way but that was when he was just a rookie trying to get better everyday, expecting Cam to be the starter.  Now he is the starting QB for the New England Patriots.  That is going from 0 to 60 in about 3 seconds.

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2021, 04:53:21 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I'm curious to see where Cam ends up. I don't think there's a place he can go and be a starter. But he could be a heck of a backup in a few places.

Imagine him in Baltimore, as a backup to Lamar Jackson?

Imagine him in Cleveland, behind that O-Line?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2021, 06:18:59 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
I'm curious to see where Cam ends up. I don't think there's a place he can go and be a starter. But he could be a heck of a backup in a few places.

I think Houston makes a lot of sense. He’d be a great insurance policy for the Texans, since Watson will more than likely be on the commissioners exempt list. Gives Newton and opportunity to start as their backup QB’s are garbage.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2021, 08:32:44 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586

36 for 43 - 389 yards
TD - 1
INT - 0
Sacks - 5

RTG

Wash - 78.2
Eagles - 91.1
NYG - 131.8

Jim Plunkett here.

Plunkett to Randy Vataha!

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2021, 07:34:04 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

36 for 43 - 389 yards
TD - 1
INT - 0
Sacks - 5

RTG

Wash - 78.2
Eagles - 91.1
NYG - 131.8

Jim Plunkett here.

Plunkett to Randy Vataha!

Yeh, Plunkett was the first guy I remember.  Mostly I just remember my father cursing at him!  Grogan was my guy!
Yup

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2021, 09:02:25 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

I think Houston makes a lot of sense. He’d be a great insurance policy for the Texans, since Watson will more than likely be on the commissioners exempt list. Gives Newton and opportunity to start as their backup QB’s are garbage.

Yes, good point. I meant to list Houston as well...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2021, 07:14:43 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Sorry you are wrong.

Cam came out today and said all this and you definitely had this one right Nick. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32182159/cam-newton-shares-surprise-new-england-patriots-release-think-mac-jones-comfortable-backup

Tp

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2021, 09:44:38 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Sorry you are wrong.

Cam came out today and said all this and you definitely had this one right Nick. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32182159/cam-newton-shares-surprise-new-england-patriots-release-think-mac-jones-comfortable-backup

Tp

He has a right to be irked by the release, but he sounds like a doofus in that article.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07