Author Topic: 21-22 College Football Thread  (Read 36136 times)

Re: 21-22 College Football Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2021, 04:03:09 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Down goes #3 Ohio State. At home too.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2021, 04:46:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Good. Hate that team.

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2021, 12:17:25 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
That Florida St. loss? Wow.  Watch the final play if you haven’t.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2021, 07:46:11 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Love it!!!!! They finally played someone in the regular season..always overrated
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2021, 11:31:18 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Love it!!!!! They finally played someone in the regular season..always overrated
Ohio State pretty much always plays someone in the regular season.  They've scheduled a major non-con opponent basically every year for like 30 years.  Some years they have 2 such opponents on the schedule.  Because they schedule those so far in advance, sometimes the game isn't nearly as good as when scheduled.  I mean they have home/away with Oregon set for 2032 and 2033, Georgia in 2030 and 2031, Alabama in 2027 and 2028 (in 27 they also play at Boston College), etc.  Who knows what those teams will look like a decade from now.  But pretty much every year they have at least 1 major non-con opponent on the schedule.  Sometimes they win, sometimes they lose, but Ohio State always tries to challenge itself at least once outside the conference.

They are 3-3 in the playoff with a national title as well.  Hard to say they are overrated given that.  I mean Oklahoma is 0-4.  Now that is a team you could argue is overrated since they've never won a playoff game and only had 1 loss within 10 points.  Notre Dame is 0-2 with a combined scored of 61-17, another team that you could say is overrated.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2021, 06:22:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Nebraska should have stayed in the Big 12, but $$$$$ is everything these days and greed will eventually destroy college football.
We are well on our way with the new NIL rules. Hundreds of thousands of dollars to college sophomores ? Not a good idea.
Yeah, much prefer colleges continue exploiting players and making millions off them for little reward
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2021, 09:14:02 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Nebraska should have stayed in the Big 12, but $$$$$ is everything these days and greed will eventually destroy college football.
We are well on our way with the new NIL rules. Hundreds of thousands of dollars to college sophomores ? Not a good idea.
Yeah, much prefer colleges continue exploiting players and making millions off them for little reward
The schools don't even pay them, that is all boosters which were paying them under the table anyway.  At least now it is more in the open.

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2021, 01:38:16 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Yeah this was great to see

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2021, 10:14:30 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I'll admit, I'm not a super knowledgeable NCAAF fan compared to others (I know a solid amount but not "expert-level" amount) so apologies for sounding naïve asking this.

But can someone explain to me how every year Notre Dame seemingly is ranked like Top-15 in the nation and at times is Top-10 or even Top-5 for stretches? I swear every time I see them go up against another Top-10 team or something, it's not just that they lose but they look like they get manhandled in those games too. Like they just get outplayed big time.

Final score today may not seem like it but Cincy had a 17-0 lead at halftime. Notre Dame has also played Alabama in Bowl Games over the past 5 years and typically get wrecked from the start and those games are over quickly.

Idk, maybe it's them being a great team that just chokes a ton? But otherwise I feel like they rarely beat great teams when they go up against them and they don't even look particularly good in those games.

Like sure, they'll beat some fringe Top-25 teams or teams just outside of it as some "signature wins" but that's about it. Yet every year they are ranked Top-10. They beat Clemson last year in an OT game BUT that game Trevor Lawrence didn't even play
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2021, 01:50:26 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
So my Bearcats are looking pretty good to make the playoffs as the 4 seed.  Oregon losing last week helped a lot and now Oklahoma is in a world of trouble against Texas.  Cincinnati obviously has to keep doing what they did to Temple yesterday (52-3), but they do what they should and they may get their a year after they should have. The power 5 conference playoff stranglehold may finally end this year. Still a lotnof football left but that Note Dame win last week was huge and if OU does fall that door will be wide open (Bama, Georgia, and Big Ten champ will get the top 3 spots barring something crazy happening)

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2021, 02:02:44 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So my Bearcats are looking pretty good to make the playoffs as the 4 seed.  Oregon losing last week helped a lot and now Oklahoma is in a world of trouble against Texas.  Cincinnati obviously has to keep doing what they did to Temple yesterday (52-3), but they do what they should and they may get their a year after they should have. The power 5 conference playoff stranglehold may finally end this year. Still a lotnof football left but that Note Dame win last week was huge and if OU does fall that door will be wide open (Bama, Georgia, and Big Ten champ will get the top 3 spots barring something crazy happening)

Theoretically does a 1-loss non-champion Penn State or Iowa make it in over Cincy?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2021, 02:31:09 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

Theoretically does a 1-loss non-champion Penn State or Iowa make it in over Cincy?

A one-loss PSU team that beat Iowa but doesn’t make it to the Big 10 championship game deserves to go over Cincy.

That would mean they:

Won @ Iowa
Won @ Wisconsin
Beat Auburn
Won 2 out of 3 of OSU, Michigan, and Michigan State (only one of those three are at home).

To me that 11-1 Penn State team is far superior than undefeated Cincy.  And if they go 12-0 in the regular season and lose a rematch to 11-1 Iowa in the conference title game, the argument is even stronger.

I would not make the same argument for Iowa, as the East is far stronger than the West in the Big 10.  I think they’d only go if they win the Big 10 with no more than 1 loss.

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2021, 02:53:46 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

I don't think so as I just can't see the committee making the determination that Penn State is vastly superior to Cincinnati which is what they'd have to do to ignore the championship.  I also think there'd be immense pressure to not have 2 SEC and 2 Big Ten teams especially at the expense of an unbeaten team whose only loss in 2 seasons was a last second FG to Georgia in a game they led basically the whole game.  Couple that with back to back fairly easy road wins over Indiana and Notre Dame, giving Cincinnati something few little 5 teams have ever had, and I don't think it would happen.

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2021, 03:32:39 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I will add the caveat that if ND loses a bunch of games, that will hurt Cincinnati immensely.  If ND finishes like 8-4 or probably even 9-3, then that would greatly increase the chance that the Bearcats get jumped by a 2nd Big Ten team or a 1 loss Oregon or Oklahoma that wins their conference (though unlike the SEC and Big Ten, the Pac 12 and Big 12 aren't very good).  Cincinnati needs ND to finish 11-1 or maybe 10-2

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2021, 03:41:38 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I will add the caveat that if ND loses a bunch of games, that will hurt Cincinnati immensely.  If ND finishes like 8-4 or probably even 9-3, then that would greatly increase the chance that the Bearcats get jumped by a 2nd Big Ten team or a 1 loss Oregon or Oklahoma that wins their conference (though unlike the SEC and Big Ten, the Pac 12 and Big 12 aren't very good).  Cincinnati needs ND to finish 11-1 or maybe 10-2

This I agree with.  Cincy needs to root for ND the rest of the way, and not have them lose games like VT today.

But honestly, barring there being only a bunch of two-loss power 5 teams, Cincy just doesn’t deserve it.  If you don’t play in a major conference, you can’t schedule Murray State and Miami of Ohio for half of your non-conference games.  Cincy’s second or third best win would be Indiana, which would be Penn State’s 7th or 8th best win.  It’s just not the same, and I would hope the committee recognizes that.

BYU is playing 7 power-5 teams — if they run the table, they’d deserve at least as much consideration as Cincy.