Author Topic: Rumor: Dillon Brooks available?  (Read 4614 times)

Re: Rumor: Dillon Brooks available?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2021, 11:32:55 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
I’m a big Kyle Anderson stan, but a roleplayer on an expiring is in no way worth a 1st.

It's well and good to say that, but if he were available for seconds he'd already be gone.

I guess it all depends on how committed Memphis is to moving him then, because no one’s paying a first.

That's the thing - the report wasn't that they were committed to moving on from him, it was that he was available for the right price. They can very easily hold onto him until the deadline and make a decision on whether he's got a future with the team then.

Sure.  It’s just that we’ve had two months of reports of the Grizzlies shopping Kyle Anderson, and now they’re up to 19 guaranteed contracts, and have a full roster of 20 including a 2-way, so perhaps they’re feeling more pressure to move him now than they were two months ago.

They have to lose four players by opening day.  They aren’t going to cut Anderson, but maybe it makes sense to get those second rounders for him and keep someone else you like, rather than hold out, cut a player you like, and still get 2nds at the deadline?

I think they’ll get a 1st for Brooks, but not Anderson.

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2021, 11:37:57 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I’m a big Kyle Anderson stan, but a roleplayer on an expiring is in no way worth a 1st.

It's well and good to say that, but if he were available for seconds he'd already be gone.
Being able to absorb salary (via our TPE), holds value on its own. This is why we were able to acquire Fournier for just 2 second-round picks. If Wyc is willing to pay the necessary tax, it might be possible to acquire Anderson for a second + cap relief (via the TPE).

Alternatively, how about Romeo + Dunn for Anderson? This way Wyc pays way less in lux tax. Not that I care about Wyc's money, I just don't think he'd pay the tax to absorb Anderson's contract. We'd probably have to find a 3rd team for Dunn though, cause the Grizzlies have too many guaranteed contracts.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 04:48:03 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2021, 11:45:05 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Sure.  It’s just that we’ve had two months of reports of the Grizzlies shopping Kyle Anderson, and now they’re up to 19 guaranteed contracts, and have a full roster of 20 including a 2-way, so perhaps they’re feeling more pressure to move him now than they were two months ago.

They have to lose four players by opening day.  They aren’t going to cut Anderson, but maybe it makes sense to get those second rounders for him and keep someone else you like, rather than hold out, cut a player you like, and still get 2nds at the deadline?

Hey, I hope you're right, I think he'd be a great fit for what Boston needs. Just don't think they give him up totally cheap.

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2021, 02:53:13 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Hey, I hope you're right, I think he'd be a great fit for what Boston needs. Just don't think they give him up totally cheap.
Why would he be a great fit? He is a 2/3 wing that can't shoot well from outside and is very inefficient at scoring. We have Richardson and Smart who play that position who are likewise poor outside shooting, inefficient scorers. But both are better offensive and defensive players than Brooks.

Brooks makes Smart and Richardson look like Steph Curry in comparison. 17.2 points on 15.4 FGA per game. If Richardson or Smart took that many shots, first this blog would explode in anger, but also, they both would score over 20 PPG.  A 51.4% TS% scorer over the last 3 years. That's plain awful.

Hard pass on Brooks. The C's already have two way better versions of him.

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2021, 06:01:37 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Why would he be a great fit? He is a 2/3 wing that can't shoot well from outside and is very inefficient at scoring. We have Richardson and Smart who play that position who are likewise poor outside shooting, inefficient scorers. But both are better offensive and defensive players than Brooks.

Brooks makes Smart and Richardson look like Steph Curry in comparison. 17.2 points on 15.4 FGA per game. If Richardson or Smart took that many shots, first this blog would explode in anger, but also, they both would score over 20 PPG.  A 51.4% TS% scorer over the last 3 years. That's plain awful.

Think the poster was saying Anderson would be a great fit.

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2021, 06:03:23 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Is Dillon Brooks any good? His stats are unimpressive. Mediocre shooting percentages & scoring efficiency. Weak rebounding and assist number. Looks like your typical stat padder on a mediocre team.
He's a really tenacious individual defender, and would be a better shooter when not paired with Morant.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2021, 08:32:06 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
   Other teams put their dudes on the block and it’s out there every day and Celts do the same and we’re big meanies. It’s so stupid.

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2021, 09:00:28 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Is Dillon Brooks any good? His stats are unimpressive. Mediocre shooting percentages & scoring efficiency. Weak rebounding and assist number. Looks like your typical stat padder on a mediocre team.
He's a really tenacious individual defender, and would be a better shooter when not paired with Morant.

Yeah, he’d be much better as a 4th option.  He easily could have made an All-Defense team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2021, 10:23:36 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
Not the biggest fan of Brooks. 

First of all, I don't like his offense at all.  He takes a lot of shots and hits them at low efficiency.  You think Smart frustrates you?  This dude is worse.  I give him credit for stepping up in the playoffs, though.

When I'd watch him with my own eyes, I came away thinking he was a high-effort defender who fouled too much - to the point of being a hacker, sometimes - but was probably roughly average.  Some advanced stats agree with that assessment, but some (DBPM being one) mark him as a substantial negative.  I don't know exactly how that is computed.  Specifically, I don't know how these stats separate his impact from that of Morant, a Trae Young-level defensive atrocity who Brooks often shares the backcourt with.  But that's a topic for another thread. 

I do like Kyle Anderson though.  I think he'd fit with Brown and Tatum very well. 

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2021, 10:42:58 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Not the biggest fan of Brooks. 

First of all, I don't like his offense at all.  He takes a lot of shots and hits them at low efficiency.  You think Smart frustrates you?  This dude is worse.  I give him credit for stepping up in the playoffs, though.

When I'd watch him with my own eyes, I came away thinking he was a high-effort defender who fouled too much - to the point of being a hacker, sometimes - but was probably roughly average.  Some advanced stats agree with that assessment, but some (DBPM being one) mark him as a substantial negative.  I don't know exactly how that is computed.  Specifically, I don't know how these stats separate his impact from that of Morant, a Trae Young-level defensive atrocity who Brooks often shares the backcourt with.  But that's a topic for another thread. 

I do like Kyle Anderson though.  I think he'd fit with Brown and Tatum very well.

Some interesting defensive performances noted here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JaMorant/status/1392679632466583553?s=20

I like him.  Not necessarily for our team, but he’s an effective player and has a good contract.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2021, 11:59:04 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

Kyle Anderson, not Brooks. There's a need for 15-25 big forward minutes from somewhere on the roster that Anderson could fill pretty nicely.

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2021, 12:12:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Kyle Anderson, not Brooks. There's a need for 15-25 big forward minutes from somewhere on the roster that Anderson could fill pretty nicely.
Lol...my bad. Anderson would be a good pickup. TP.

Brooks, not so much.