Author Topic: Best Collections Of Talent Ever?  (Read 13006 times)

Re: Best Collections Of Talent Ever?
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2021, 12:14:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
A lot of great Shaq options, ('05 Lakers, '11 Celtics, '07 Heat , '09 Suns), and a lot of great LeBron options ('17 Cavs, '22 Lakers).

How about we put them together and go with the '10 Cavs.  Obviously nowhere near as deep as others, but I just want to see a prime Shaq and prime LeBron together.  Not completely devoid of talent either with Antawn Jamison, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Mo Williams providing low level All-Star production at their best, and Danny Green, Anderson Varejão, Delonte West can provide good rotational minutes without demanding the ball.

I just want to see prime Shaq and prime LeBron together.

My guess is that the other team would get in some foul trouble.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2021, 12:17:11 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
How about the Bulls with Robert Parish?
What year was that - 1997 I think.

C: Parish
F: Rodman, Kukoc
F: Pippen
G: Jordan
G: Ron Harper

Ooh, Ron Harper in his prime. Wow, I had not thought of that one. That would be massive for Chicago. That group must be the meanest defensive starting five of all these teams. Sensational defense & rebounding.

Plus they have Kukoc as a 6th man. The rest of the bench lacks star talent but it has solid players. Brian Williams at backup center alongside Luc Longley. Steve Kerr. Caffey. Randy Brown. Buechler (always spell that dude's name wrong!).

The bench might be their undoing but that starting five is phenomenal. Kukoc as well. Their top 6.

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2021, 12:25:08 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Maybe one of those later 80s Celtics teams.

An old Jim Paxson and a young Reggie Lewis would be huge difference makers. If you could get Artis Gilmore on the team as well. Were they all on the same team?

C: Robert Parish, Artis Gilmore
F: Kevin McHale, (Brad Lohaus)
F: Larry Bird, (Fred Roberts)
G: Jim Paxson, Reggie Lewis
G: Dennis Johnson, Danny Ainge

Was Wedman gone by then? I think he was. Yeah, he was.

Oh, they would've had Fred Roberts who went on to become a good starting caliber SF in Milwaukee and Brad Lohaus who was an okay bench player in Milwaukee.

In sum, all 5 starters were All-NBA players. Gilmore too off the bench. Reggie was an All-Star. Ainge made it one year but was more borderline. So 8 All-Stars total.

Man, I've always dreamed of Bird & Paxson playing together in their primes. The shooting punch of that duo would be insane. And that inside power of the three big guys. Big tall versatile guards.

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2021, 12:26:50 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
The 72 Lakers, especially if Elgin Baylor qualifies (he played 9 games and retired) or the prior year

The 83  or 84 Lakers had an older Bob McAdoo and still had both Jamaal Wilkes and Worthy

Of course the 86 C's

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2021, 12:31:59 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I would think the 60s Celtics would have some strong options.

The 63 team comes to mind as the end of Cousy and the start of Havlicek. Sharman was already gone but you have the Jones brothers. Heinsohn. Ramsey. Sanders. Bill Russell of course.

To get both Havlicek and Cousy in the primes next to Russell would be huge. Sam Jones too.

C: Bill Russell, Clyde Lovellette
F: Tommy Heinsohn
F: John Havlicek, Tom Sanders
G: Sam Jones, Frank Ramsey
G: Bob Cousy, KC Jones

Clyde Lovellette was on the bench. He was a 20-23ppg 12-14rpg guy at his peak. 4 time All-Star.

Those Celtics team had some other teams with former All-Stars from other teams filling out the bench of their benches. Not sure which ones. Willie Naulls was one of those guys. Not sure if there is a better option with multiple old age All-Stars hanging around the bottom of their benches. Hard to top that 1963 team with Cousy & Havlicek though.

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2021, 12:35:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I would think the 60s Celtics would have some strong options.

The 63 team comes to mind as the end of Cousy and the start of Havlicek. Sharman was already gone but you have the Jones brothers. Heinsohn. Ramsey. Sanders. Bill Russell of course.

To get both Havlicek and Cousy in the primes next to Russell would be huge. Sam Jones too.

C: Bill Russell, Clyde Lovellette
F: Tommy Heinsohn
F: John Havlicek, Tom Sanders
G: Sam Jones, Frank Ramsey
G: Bob Cousy, KC Jones

Clyde Lovellette was on the bench. He was a 20-23ppg 12-14rpg guy at his peak. 4 time All-Star.

Those Celtics team had some other teams with former All-Stars from other teams filling out the bench of their benches. Not sure which ones. Willie Naulls was one of those guys. Not sure if there is a better option with multiple old age All-Stars hanging around the bottom of their benches. Hard to top that 1963 team with Cousy & Havlicek though.

Yeah, I think it was our 1964 team that has the record for most Hall of Famer’s on it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2021, 12:53:47 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Another one could be the young guys who separated before reaching their peaks.

OKC - Durant, Harden & Westbrook alongside Ibaka and Perk. Sefolosha. Derek Fisher as a bench guard.

C: Kendrick Perkins, Nazr Mohammed
F: Serge Ibaka, Nick Collison
F: Kevin Durant, Thabo Sefolosha
G: James Harden
G: Russell Westbrook, Derek Fisher, Reggie Jackson

3 MVPs is pretty special. Ibaka is a boost. Perk is limited as the 5th wheel compared to some of these other teams. The bench has nothing major but was better than I first thought. Fisher is a nice boost. A rookie Reggie Jackson at his peak is good. Thabo is solid. Nick Collison okay. An old Nazr Mohammed at the end of the bench to give them some more size.

Still, Ibaka is their only big who can make a jump-shot. Nazr is their best one-on-one post scorer. Limited passing bigs except for Collison.

Lethal small ball lineups with Durant at PF next to the two big guns and either Sefolosha (defense), Fisher (shooting & two way guard play), Reggie Jackson (shot creator). Ibaka at center. They'd have trouble inside against some of these bigger teams in this configuration though.

Are there any other young teams broken up too soon?

Oh, that LA Lakers with Eddie Jones. 1997 team because of Kersey and Byron Scott.

C: Shaquille O'Neal, Elden Campbell, Sean Rooks
F: Robert Horry, Corie Blount
F: Kobe Bryant, Jerome Kersey, Rick Fox
G: Eddie Jones, Byron Scott
G: Nick Van Exel, Derek Fisher

That PF slot is an issue. Go big with E.Campbell and Shaq but they did not play well together. Go small with Horry but he will have some issues with the top PF talent available here. Kersey could play small ball PF as well. Maybe better than Horry. Byron Scott is a big asset to the bench. Nick Van Exel another All-Star guard. I don't think Scott ever made the ASG but he was close many years.

I was watching a 1997 Lakers game recently when they were trying Kobe at backup PG to see if he could be the next Magic Johnson. Man that was fun watching Kobe and Eddie together as two big long athletic guards hounding people on defense and this was before Kobe even knew how to play D. Imagine a big backcourt with those two and Kersey and Horry at forward. The speed jumping passing lanes alongside the last line of defense at the rim by Shaq.

The 1999 team was interesting too with Glen Rice and Dennis Rodman.

C: Shaquille O'Neal, (Travis Knight)
F: Dennis Rodman, JR Reid
F: Glen Rice, Rick Fox (Ruben Patterson)
G: Kobe Bryant
G: Dennis Harper, Derek Fisher (Ty Lue)

Ah, I always forget Dennis Harper was on that team as well. Yeah, that is a monster team. Harper and Kobe together in the backcourt. Rodman and Shaq controlling the paint. Glen Rice doing his thing.

The bench isn't that strong but Fox and Fisher could fill the gaps. I guess JR Reid will have to do to spell the big man slots. The starting five is a monster.

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2021, 01:03:47 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Some of those 00s Lakers team had guys like Mitch Richmond or JR Rider on their benches. You also had AC Green and Horace Grant but I am not sure they were ever on the same team. Ron Harper again would be a big difference maker in his prime to those Lakers teams.

C: Shaquille O'Neal, John Salley
F: AC Green, Robert Horry
F: Glen Rice, Rick Fox
G: Kobe Bryant, Brian Shaw
G: Ron Harper, Derek Fisher

C: Shaquille O'Neal, (Greg Foster)
F: Horace Grant, Robert Horry
F: Rick Fox, (Devean George)
G: Kobe Bryant, JR Rider
G: Ron Harper, Derek Fisher, Brian Shaw

The 2002 team you gain Mitch Richmond but lose Ron Harper and JR Rider. You lose Horace Grant and replace him with Samaki Walker. You do add Lindsey Hunter.

The 2000 team is the strongest. John Salley is a very good backup big man. Rick Fox. Derek Fisher. Brian Shaw. Robert Horry. That is a strong versatile bench. Not much star power but genuine balance in their depth. Quality two way players.

AC Green would be the weakest starter and he was a good starting PF. He got to an ASG by fan vote but was really a level below that. Glen Rice and Ron Harper as all-star running mates next to Kobe and Shaq gives them a fearsome foursome with some of the best balanced depth around.

Still, I prefer the star power of the 1986 or 1988 Celtics.

A prime Ron Harper is a major game-changer for both the Bulls and the Lakers. What a player he was. What a defensive backcourt he creates next to MJ or Kobe. Terrifying defensive talent at guard. Oh man Pippen and Rodman as well. And Parish! Jesus, that 1997 Bulls team is insane on D.

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2021, 01:21:24 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Not the same level, but sort of a fun one

99 Pacers (similar in 00 as well)

PG - Mark Jackson, Travis Best
SG - Reggie Miller, Fred Hoiberg
SF - Chris Mullin, Jalen Rose, Derrick McKey
PF - Sam Perkins, Antonio Davis, Al Harrington, Austin Croshere
C - Rik Smits, Dale Davis

10 Jazz are also fun

PG - Deron Williams, Eric Maynor
SG - Wesley Matthews, Kyle Korver, CJ Miles
SF - Andrei Kirilenko, Ronnie Brewer
PF - Carlos Boozer, Paul Millsap
C - Mehmet Okur, Kosta Koufos
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2021, 01:35:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Another team I'd pay to see:

David Robinson
Tim Duncan
Stephen Jackson
Manu Ginobili
Tony Parker

With Steve Smith, Steve Kerr, Bruce Bowen, Speedy Claxton, Kevin Willis, and Malik Rose off the bench.  That team is full of shooting and defense.  Too bad Terry Porter didn't stick that season, because he'd be a great fit, too.

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2021, 01:46:11 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

David Robinson
Tim Duncan
Stephen Jackson
Manu Ginobili
Tony Parker

With Steve Smith, Steve Kerr, Bruce Bowen, Speedy Claxton, Kevin Willis, and Malik Rose off the bench.  That team is full of shooting and defense.  Too bad Terry Porter didn't stick that season, because he'd be a great fit, too.
Finally, someone mentions Duncan! You guys have mentioned nearly every single season of Shaq's career. Sure, prime Shaq was unstoppable. If you ask me, Duncan > Shaq.

How about the 2015/16 Spurs? They got Kawhi and LMA instead of Robinson, plus a great supporting cast.

PG: Parker - Andre Miller - Patty Mills
SG: Manu - Danny Green - Kevin Martin
SF: Kawhi - Kyle Anderson
PF: LaMarcus - David West - Boris Diaw
C: Duncan

Only reason I didn't mention them before is cause I'm low on Parker.  Really don't see the appeal of a score-first player in a PG's body who's also a limited shooter. Imo, Parker is massively overrated. If it weren't for Timmy, Manu, Kawhi, and Pops, I bet he would have been considered just an average player among his contemporaries.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 01:51:30 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2021, 01:51:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

David Robinson
Tim Duncan
Stephen Jackson
Manu Ginobili
Tony Parker

Finally, someone mentions Duncan! You guys have mentioned nearly every single season of Shaq's career. Sure, prime Shaq was unstoppable. If you ask me, Duncan > Shaq.

How about the 2015/16 Spurs? They got Kawhi and LMA instead of Robinson, plus a great supporting cast.

Only reason I didn't mention them before is cause I'm low on Parker.  Really don't see the appeal of a score-first player in a PG's body who's also a limited shooter. Imo, Parker is massively overrated. If it weren't for Timmy, Kawhi, Manu and Pops, I bet he would have been considered just an average player among his contemporaries.

2016 Spurs:

Duncan / Boris Diaw
Aldridge / David West
Kawhi / Danny Green
Ginobili / Kevin Martin
Parker / Andre Miller

Plus, they had Boban *and* Matt Bonner.

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2021, 02:06:49 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

David Robinson
Tim Duncan
Stephen Jackson
Manu Ginobili
Tony Parker

Only reason I didn't mention them before is cause I'm low on Parker.  Really don't see the appeal of a score-first player in a PG's body who's also a limited shooter. Imo, Parker is massively overrated. If it weren't for Timmy, Kawhi, Manu and Pops, I bet he would have been considered just an average player among his contemporaries.

2016 Spurs:

Duncan / Boris Diaw
Aldridge / David West
Kawhi / Danny Green
Ginobili / Kevin Martin
Parker / Andre Miller

Plus, they had Boban *and* Matt Bonner.
Oh my bad, didn't see it. Duncan is so underrated. The guy won 5 rings playing for a small market team. This is unreal stuff! If you ask me, Duncan is the modern-day Bill Russell: the ultimate team player, the ultimate winner. He's a GOAT candidate. I'd take him above all his contemporaries but LeBron.

Kawhi is underrated too, imo. I'd argue he's an improved version of Pippen.

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2021, 02:19:59 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
What I find interesting about all these Shaq seasons we have mentioned -- none of them are from his Orlando years! Because they have no bench. None.

Shaq played with some incredible talent over his career. That team swapping late in his career next to MVP talents (Wade, Nash, LeBron, KG) all with other All-Star talents around him and many with strong benches.

Orlando pales in comparison despite having Penny Hardaway and two strong pros in Horace Grant and Nick Anderson. Brian Shaw and Dennis Scott just isn't enough to compete with the loaded talent on all those other teams (LAL, MIA, PHO, CLE, BOS).

Not sure if Phoenix was mentioned but just in case:

C: Shaquille O'Neal, Robin Lopez
F: Amare Stoudemire, Boris Diaw
F: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes
G: Raja Bell, Leandro Barbosa
G: Steve Nash, Goran Dragic

Or you could go with Jason Richardson and Jared Dudley over Boris Diaw and Raja Bell. Either way is awesome.

Two MVPs in Shaq and Nash. Two more top 10 NBA players in Grant Hill and Amare Stoudemire. Strong depth.

Edit: Plus, all those Orlando guys were at their peak when they played together (and they couldn't get it done against their contemporary competition) so there is little gain there. You get a younger Tree Rollins as a backup center which is good. Oh, you could get a young Darrell Armstrong. I always forget he was on those 1995 & 1996 teams. So some additive quality to the bench but none to the starters.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 02:26:00 PM by Who »

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2021, 02:31:47 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
This team does not have the star power of some these other teams. They lack the multiple MVPs or even one MVP. But I just wanted to highlight it because they are sneaky good.

The 1991 Blazers

C: Kevin Duckworth, Wayne Cooper
F: Buck Williams, Clifford Robinson
F: Walter Davis, Jerome Kersey
G: Clyde Drexler, Drazen Petrovic
G: Terry Porter, Danny Ainge

So they get a big boost from old man Walter Davis and young upstart Drazen Petrovic neither of whom played all that much for the team at the time. Walter Davis a top 15 maybe top 10 player in the league at his peak. Probably top 10. Petrovic an All-Star talent and one of the best shooters / perimeter scorers ever. A prime Danny Ainge. You could also get a boost from an older more mature Clifford Robinson.

Still no MVP talent and relatively weak at center compared to other All-Times here. But impressive in their own right.