Author Topic: The Big Ticket’s Tough Love Tale  (Read 2086 times)

The Big Ticket’s Tough Love Tale
« on: August 17, 2021, 04:25:29 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Kevin Garnett once refused to help a choking Rajon Rondo during a Boston Celtics huddle.

https://youtu.be/EZyOWkb5Q4s

According to KG’s version of events, the point guard threw the ball away on two straight possessions, then ignored him during a time-out huddle. That didn’t sit well with Garnett, so when Rondo began choking on his cup of water, the veteran refused to intervene.

Kevin Garnett was both a fiery competitor and a strong leader.

It goes without saying that every professional athlete is competitive; you don’t reach the top of one of the most cut-throat jobs in the world without wanting to be the best. Kevin Garnett, however, took things to the next level.

As The Big Ticket explained in a TBS Storyville video, the Celtics headed to Chicago for a date with the Bulls. The visitors got off to a slow start and struggled to keep control of the basketball. “We’re throwing the ball everywhere, and [we’re] just not really into the game for some reason,” Garnett explained. Those issues extended to Rondo, who turned the ball over on back-to-back possessions rather than making the simple pass.

KG, as you might expect, told the point guard to pull it together. Rondo “said something very aggressive” back, and Garnett returned the favor. When the whistle blew for a timeout, though, the veteran tried to smooth things over with a kind gesture. His teammate, however, didn’t exactly appreciate the gesture.

“You know, I took a water, and I went to pass it to ‘Do,” Garnett continued. “And he gave me the like, he was off, like he was acting like all into the huddle. … He went around me, got a water, and sipped it. And when he sipped it, it went down the wrong way.”

Rondo then began choking, but Garnett remained unmoved. Instead, he used the situation as a chance to hammer home his previous point.

“So I kinda look over to him, and he’s motioning [to] his back. And I’m like, “Nah, choke. Choke … Nah, kill. Nah, Nah, kill yourself. Die, die!'” KG continued. “As I’m saying this, the huddle’s still going on. Everybody’s looking at us. He was really choking, and I was like, ‘When somebody say pass the ball, pass the ball.'”

For the record, Rondo survived, and if Garnett is to be believed, the Celtics rallied to win the game.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 04:32:28 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: The Big Ticket’s Tough Love
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 04:32:09 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Question: what intervention do you use when somebody is choking on water?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 05:08:03 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

I would think exactly what Rondo wanted a big slap on the back.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 09:33:53 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
That isn't the lesson.  The lesson is KG is an ****.  I get not know what to do to help in that situation, but saying you want your teammate to die because he didn't pass you the ball.  That is all time epic level of ****.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: The Big Ticket’s Tough Love Tale
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 09:52:44 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
This is a weird story I guess made for tv? He is not going to die from water. Also not sure slapping him on the back helps him here. Just kind of strange.