Author Topic: If no Smart extension: Smart for Gallinari?  (Read 3148 times)

If no Smart extension: Smart for Gallinari?
« on: August 12, 2021, 01:54:43 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Smart and Grant Williams for Gallinari works. Payroll would be higher for this year.  However, Gallinari's contract is only guaranteed for $5 million next season making him a valuable trade asset this summer. He also gives us a stretch 4 to use off the bench this season.

Would mean giving more minutes to Richardson, Pritchard, Nesmith, and even Dunn. Schroder would be the no doubt starting PG.

Re: If no Smart extension: Smart for Gallinari?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 02:05:21 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Cool. That would re-balance the roster.

Gallinari gives us another scorer. Another high caliber long distance shot maker. Another high efficiency offensive player (great at getting to the FT line). Another high end team offensive player to put alongside our individual creators (Tatum, Jaylen, Schroder). Passes well, can handle the ball. Someone that plays well off of others and combines well with others on offense. Another 6-10 matchup problem forward.

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 02:09:58 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I didn't realize that Gallinari had only $5M guaranteed in 2022-23.  That is interesting.  This results in a much more balanced roster, that is for sure.  We finally get a legit starting PF.  The owners would not relish the added $4M in salary, and the corresponding tax, but maybe we asked ATL to include a 2nd round pick that we use to dump Dunn and sign Madar for less to replace him.

His minutes and shots are down last season from his recent trend.  Not much of a rebounder ever but even less last season than normal.  Not the PF of my dreams but certainly an upgrade over our current PFs.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 03:44:58 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 03:04:19 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
trade checker shows the deal works with Smart and Edwards for Gallinari which I would prefer.  I think that does provide better roster balance as others pointed out and clears a wasted roster spot for us (Edwards) that we can use for a vet min player

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 03:05:44 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I know it kinda makes sense for us, I've just never been a fan of him. Could be interesting though.

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 10:18:42 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
At the deadline, having $48 million worth of salaries in Horford/Gallinari and only $19.5 million of that is guaranteed for 2022/2023 might be good trade fodder. Or even next offseason I guess.

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 10:52:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'd do it. He was really hitting his stride off the bench from March onwards last season. Had some big playoff games too
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 01:18:35 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Smart and Grant Williams for Gallinari works. Payroll would be higher for this year.  However, Gallinari's contract is only guaranteed for $5 million next season making him a valuable trade asset this summer. He also gives us a stretch 4 to use off the bench this season.

Would mean giving more minutes to Richardson, Pritchard, Nesmith, and even Dunn. Schroder would be the no doubt starting PG.

I really like Gallinari but that’s a significant overpay.

He’s 33, defensively washed and he’s never played 82 games in his career. Last season he only played 51 games and 24 minutes per game, the closest he’s come to a full season is 71 games in 2012-13.

To give up Smart & Grant Williams for him is completely disproportionate.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 01:53:12 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121

He’s 33, defensively washed and he’s never played 82 games in his career. Last season he only played 51 games and 24 minutes per game, the closest he’s come to a full season is 71 games in 2012-13.

What makes you feel that Smart and Grant Williams are worth more? 

Smart is a pure defensive role player who is also just barely passable as a ball handler and playmaker. Grant Williams is a barely passable 3rd string guy who would struggle to get minutes on all but the most shallow of benches. 

Gallinari is about on Smart's level overall (both are fringe starters) but with Horford, Timelord, Brown, Tatum, Dunn, Richardson, Schroeder and Langford we have more defensive depth then I've seen on a Celtics roster in years - Smart has never been more redundant to the Celtics then he is now.  However what we really could do with on that roster is more shooting / scoring depth, which is Gallinari's specialty.  If Smart isn't going to agree to an extension then trading him for a similar calibre player that better fits team needs seems (at least to me) like a no brainer. 

If we did bring Gallinari in for Smart then Grant Williams would never get minutes behind Horford, Tatum, Timelord, Gallinari and Kanter so he'd pretty much be dead weight - likely would get bought out mid-season to clear a roster spot or some salary space.  May a well throw him to make the deal happen, right? 

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2021, 09:02:11 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

You’re right, but there are posters who think Smart is a scrub or even a net negative. Smh.

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2021, 09:03:27 AM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
No thanks. Gallinari has barely put together a full healthy season.

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2021, 09:13:10 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Gallinari has played 5 more games than Smart the last 2 years.  It isn't like Smart is an ironman or something.  Gallinari out performs Smart statistically everywhere except assists and most aren't all that close.  Obviously Smart is a better defender, but he isn't as good as once was and I don't think he is going back to that given his injury concerns.  The team also badly needs a PF and is fine at guard depth wise. 

You don't do the trade if Smart signs his extension, but if he doesn't, I think that is absolutely the type of trade to make.  I'd rather include Edwards and maybe even Langford over G. Williams, but I'd do it with Grant if that was required.

This team is just better than the current one

PG - Schroder, Pritchard, Dunn, Edwards
SG - Brown, Richardson, Langford
SF - Tatum, Nesmith
PF - Gallinari, Parker, Fernando
C - Horford, R. Williams, Kanter

That team has more balance and depth and most importantly allows Tatum to play at his best position, which just makes the team better.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2021, 09:15:07 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
All I can tell you is that when I watch Gallinari these days, it looks like he can barely move. Hard pass.

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2021, 09:58:52 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

SF - Tatum, Nesmith

That team has more balance and depth and most importantly allows Tatum to play at his best position, which just makes the team better.

That part is true.  It isn't so much about how Smart compares to Gallinari, is it more about how it completes the team/roster.  We have plenty of PGs/Combo guards to do what Smart can do, in particular, Schroder and Richardson.  We don't really lose anything with Smart that we can't get from other players on the roster.  I love Marcus and there are certain plays that he would make that no one else would but I am looking at this more from a general standpoint.

Gallinari gives us a true shooting big.  I know there are many that prefer to play a third wing over a PF and that is fine.  You can still do that with this roster, just insert Richardson or Nesmith and sit Gallinari or Horford.  Smart isn't needed for that approach.  If you start with Schroder, Brown, Tatum, Horford, that 5th player probably wouldn't be Smart.  Or at a minimum, doesn't need to be Smart.  Richardson is probably the best one to play the Hayward role in that line up, not Smart.  But at least with Gallinari, we have the option to play with a legit PF for say 24 minutes per game if that is what the game/match ups dictates.

I am not all in on this trade but I am open to it.  It doesn't really matter to me if it is Edwards or GWill but I probably would prefer keeping GWill.  Edwards can be easily replaced with Madar.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 10:21:10 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2021, 06:10:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

SF - Tatum, Nesmith

Can't overestimate how much I like that team. Really balanced on both ends. Would probably start Richardson and bring Gallo off the bench though
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)