Author Topic: Simone Biles  (Read 45692 times)

Re: Simone Biles
« Reply #150 on: August 02, 2021, 10:27:49 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
People are saying Biles, right now, is the GOAT.  That includes Biles herself.

Probably the same crowd that thinks LeBron is the GOAT.   You don't think withdrawing/quitting with hurt the GOAT stuff?   Because it has hurt LeBron.

Well if she left the US to form an Olympic super team in Russia and recruited the best members from China to go with her then she might be comparable to Lebron.

« Reply #151 on: August 02, 2021, 10:42:29 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jade-carey-win-gold-medal-in-floor-routine-after-rough-start-to-olympics-095140246.html

This is a cool story about one of Biles’ teammates overcoming athletic adversity. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #152 on: August 02, 2021, 12:29:40 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
People are saying Biles, right now, is the GOAT.  That includes Biles herself.

Probably the same crowd that thinks LeBron is the GOAT.   You don't think withdrawing/quitting with hurt the GOAT stuff?   Because it has hurt LeBron.

Well if she left the US to form an Olympic super team in Russia and recruited the best members from China to go with her then she might be comparable to Lebron.

LOL  TP

« Reply #153 on: August 02, 2021, 12:33:17 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I feel like the women's gymnastics coverage, especially for the US, has been far more interesting after Biles left.

« Reply #154 on: August 02, 2021, 01:05:24 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
The GOAT is back!!!

« Reply #155 on: August 03, 2021, 08:07:59 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
closes with a silver and a bronze.  Sure doesn't sound like a GOAT to me.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #156 on: August 03, 2021, 09:16:27 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I forgot that an athlete has to be absolutely perfect to be the GOAT ::)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #157 on: August 03, 2021, 09:21:13 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jade-carey-win-gold-medal-in-floor-routine-after-rough-start-to-olympics-095140246.html

This is a cool story about one of Biles’ teammates overcoming athletic adversity.

How awesome is it for Carey to get that gold after failing in the individual all-around (thanks Simone) and vault? It was great to see her overcome adversity and win the floor exercise on her last attempt at a medal.

« Reply #158 on: August 03, 2021, 09:24:13 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

When the expectation going into the Olympics is that she could win up to six gold medals and she essentially walks away with one bronze (I mean, does she really deserve the silver?), then it is fair to question what happened on the biggest stage.

« Reply #159 on: August 03, 2021, 10:06:18 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

When the expectation going into the Olympics is that she could win up to six gold medals and she essentially walks away with one bronze (I mean, does she really deserve the silver?), then it is fair to question what happened on the biggest stage.
Why is a mental health concern not given the same leeway a physical health concern (injury) is?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #160 on: August 03, 2021, 10:29:20 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

Why is a mental health concern not given the same leeway a physical health concern (injury) is?

Because I don't think folding under pressure is a mental health concern. I take mental health very seriously and hate that this is an excuse being used in Biles' case. It minimizes the pain many people out there are suffering everyday.

« Reply #161 on: August 03, 2021, 10:56:54 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Because I don't think folding under pressure is a mental health concern. I take mental health very seriously and hate that this is an excuse being used in Biles' case. It minimizes the pain many people out there are suffering everyday.

Seems like you have little clue about her history, and that aside, the risk to physical injury she poses to herself in risking to compete under those conditions particularly in this sport. But, you're the psychologist, so I'll yield to your expertise.

« Reply #162 on: August 03, 2021, 11:50:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

There was no new trauma suffered and this wasn't her first competition after the public became aware of the trauma.  She   made it through all those prior competitions without issue. She just couldn't handle the additional pressure of the largest competition. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #163 on: August 03, 2021, 12:20:30 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

Seems like you have little clue about her history, and that aside, the risk to physical injury she poses to herself in risking to compete under those conditions particularly in this sport. But, you're the psychologist, so I'll yield to your expertise.

See Moranis' post just above mine.

I bet every single person in this forum has totally blown it in a key moment. It's okay, it happens to everybody (lol, I threw the ball over the backboard on my first shot in a championship game). I mean, these were her initial comments after pulling out:

“I know that this Olympic Games I want it to be for myself,” she told Reuters. “I came in and it felt like I was still doing it for other people, so that just hurts my heart that doing what I love has been kind of taken away from me to please other people.”

“I truly do feel like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders at times. I know I brush it off and make it seem like pressure doesn’t affect me but [dang] sometimes it’s hard.” She went on to tell Kotb that she was “super frustrated” and while physically, she felt good, “emotionally, it varies on the time and moment.”

As I said, I completely understand, but there are a lot of people out there suffering from very real mental illness issues. I don't doubt that the sexual assault affected her and still affects her, I just doubt that it was the main reason for her cracking under pressure.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 12:28:53 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #164 on: August 03, 2021, 12:58:18 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

See Moranis' post just above mine.

I bet every single person in this forum has totally blown it in a key moment. It's okay, it happens to everybody (lol, I threw the ball over the backboard on my first shot in a championship game). I mean, these were her initial comments after pulling out:

“I know that this Olympic Games I want it to be for myself,” she told Reuters. “I came in and it felt like I was still doing it for other people, so that just hurts my heart that doing what I love has been kind of taken away from me to please other people.”

“I truly do feel like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders at times. I know I brush it off and make it seem like pressure doesn’t affect me but [dang] sometimes it’s hard.” She went on to tell Kotb that she was “super frustrated” and while physically, she felt good, “emotionally, it varies on the time and moment.”

As I said, I completely understand, but there are a lot of people out there suffering from very real mental illness issues. I don't doubt that the sexual assault affected her and still affects her, I just doubt that it was the main reason for her cracking under pressure.

The post simply shows how ignorant of mental health everyone around here is... "no new trauma"? What the heck is that even about. That's not how things work. Anything and I mean anything can be a trigger, it doesn't go away. Any stimulus is capable of debilitating you, no matter the source, it just gets magnified going forward.

And in this sport in particular participating on those circumstances is a high injury concern. But whatever, lets crap on the kid.