Author Topic: NBA trade rumors/FA signings 2021  (Read 179447 times)

Re: NBA trade rumors/FA signings 2021
« Reply #1260 on: September 08, 2021, 01:40:54 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Another camp signing:

Chris Grenham@chrisgrenham

The Celtics have agreed to an Exhibit 10 deal with Luke Kornet, per sources.

He’ll participate in training camp with Boston later this month, joining Juwan Morgan as the latest frontcourt additions.

« Reply #1261 on: September 08, 2021, 01:43:16 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
From the USA Today link posted by Radiohead:

Unlike Morgan, Kornet is not eligible for a two way slot with four seasons of NBA experience already under his belt.

« Reply #1262 on: September 08, 2021, 01:45:45 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/08/nba-boston-celtics-green-kornet-returns/

Luke Kornet is gonna be at training camp.

I like Kornet but, barring yet another trade, there is just no room for him.

« Reply #1263 on: September 08, 2021, 01:56:33 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
I’m not familiar with him. Anyone have a scouting report?

The Boston Celtics agreed to a deal with Juwan Morgan, his agency Edge Sports told HoopsHype. Morgan, 24, spent the past two seasons with the Utah Jazz and started multiple playoff games during the 2019-20 season. – via Michael Scotto

He’s a power forward.  Good in college, and ran a lot of PnR sets with Romeo in their one year together.  Solid post game in college too if I remember.  Wasn’t much of a shooter — did most of his work near the basket.  His defense is very reminiscent of Grant — solid on the perimeter, good technique/BBIQ, but gets overwhelmed on the interior against length/size.  He’s really like a poor man’s Grant on both ends.

He’s the type of player I’ve advocated for on a 2-way.  Multi-positional, some experience who can give a few minutes in an emergency.  No one to get excited about, but potentially a useful pickup.

If that’s the case, this seems like a terrible addition. Lol.

I am intentionally trying to temper enthusiasm, but I do think there are similarities and that Grant is the better player.  That said, PJ Tucker didn’t become a viable NBA player until he was 28.  Grant and Morgan both have some portion of his skill set, so if it clicks for either they could have long run in the NBA.  Morgan is a bit older than Grant, so maybe it clicks for him first?  (I do think people forget Grant is only 22, and are too hard on him.  Two lottery picks from this year’s draft are older.  But I also understand not wanting to wait 5 more years for it to click.)

Grant is never going to be a PJ Tucker type player. He simply doesn’t have the athleticism or lateral quickness and that is not going to change with age. At 35 years old PJ is still a Far superior athlete than Grant who is only 22. A player can be short for their position if they have the athleticism to make up for it, unfortunately for Grant he is short and un-athletic. That is not a recipe for success in the NBA.

Grant is 6'5" with a 6'10" wingspan and Morgan is 6'8" with a 7'0" wingspan. Just fyi.

I watched some footage of Morgan. He’s a wing and can play the 3/4. Grant is an undersized 4/5. I don’t think they are similar at all.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1264 on: September 08, 2021, 02:03:39 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

The Boston Celtics agreed to a deal with Juwan Morgan, his agency Edge Sports told HoopsHype. Morgan, 24, spent the past two seasons with the Utah Jazz and started multiple playoff games during the 2019-20 season. – via Michael Scotto

9 pts and 7 rebs per36 for his career.

Former Indiana Hoosier. Looks like he played with Romeo in college. Has good size for a wing, but I’m not sure what he does well. 4 year college player and he’s already 24 years old.

Guy looks pretty fluid, comfortable, and / or skilled for a fringe NBA player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7RGfw-9IQc

Morgan looks like a truck!  ;D

Looks like a good passer.

the bolded was the first thing I noticed.  good passer and a decent touch / hands.
He looked better in those clips than I thought he would be based on the comments in this thread.

« Reply #1265 on: September 08, 2021, 02:14:58 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

He’s a power forward.  Good in college, and ran a lot of PnR sets with Romeo in their one year together.  Solid post game in college too if I remember.  Wasn’t much of a shooter — did most of his work near the basket.  His defense is very reminiscent of Grant — solid on the perimeter, good technique/BBIQ, but gets overwhelmed on the interior against length/size.  He’s really like a poor man’s Grant on both ends.

He’s the type of player I’ve advocated for on a 2-way.  Multi-positional, some experience who can give a few minutes in an emergency.  No one to get excited about, but potentially a useful pickup.

I am intentionally trying to temper enthusiasm, but I do think there are similarities and that Grant is the better player.  That said, PJ Tucker didn’t become a viable NBA player until he was 28.  Grant and Morgan both have some portion of his skill set, so if it clicks for either they could have long run in the NBA.  Morgan is a bit older than Grant, so maybe it clicks for him first?  (I do think people forget Grant is only 22, and are too hard on him.  Two lottery picks from this year’s draft are older.  But I also understand not wanting to wait 5 more years for it to click.)

Grant is never going to be a PJ Tucker type player. He simply doesn’t have the athleticism or lateral quickness and that is not going to change with age. At 35 years old PJ is still a Far superior athlete than Grant who is only 22. A player can be short for their position if they have the athleticism to make up for it, unfortunately for Grant he is short and un-athletic. That is not a recipe for success in the NBA.

Grant is 6'5" with a 6'10" wingspan and Morgan is 6'8" with a 7'0" wingspan. Just fyi.

I watched some footage of Morgan. He’s a wing and can play the 3/4. Grant is an undersized 4/5. I don’t think they are similar at all.

I agree. They are both just built like trucks.

« Reply #1266 on: September 08, 2021, 02:15:44 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

9 pts and 7 rebs per36 for his career.

Former Indiana Hoosier. Looks like he played with Romeo in college. Has good size for a wing, but I’m not sure what he does well. 4 year college player and he’s already 24 years old.

Guy looks pretty fluid, comfortable, and / or skilled for a fringe NBA player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7RGfw-9IQc

Morgan looks like a truck!  ;D

Looks like a good passer.

the bolded was the first thing I noticed.  good passer and a decent touch / hands.
He looked better in those clips than I thought he would be based on the comments in this thread.

Yeah, he looks like a decent energy end of bench guy that knows how to play.

« Reply #1267 on: September 08, 2021, 03:41:18 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I rather have Morgan than Grant
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #1268 on: September 08, 2021, 03:49:26 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

I agree. They are both just built like trucks.

Similar weight, but Morgan is a much better athlete and taller. His movement on court reminds me of Jabari Parker, TBH.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1269 on: September 08, 2021, 04:59:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Can't wait for the Morgan-Grant duo in blow-outs ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1270 on: September 08, 2021, 06:33:30 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Can't wait for the Morgan-Grant duo in blow-outs ;D

Hopefully blowout wins by us  :)...not blowout losses  :(

« Reply #1271 on: September 13, 2021, 05:29:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Emiliano Carchia: Anthony Brown is working out with the Boston Celtics this week, sources tell @Emiliano Carchia. Brown has played 41 games in the NBA for Pelicans, Lakers, Magic and Timberwolves. He spent last season with Boulogne-Levallois averaging 12.1ppg in Jeep Elite and 14.6ppg in EuroCup – via Twitter Carchia

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1272 on: September 13, 2021, 06:00:56 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Emiliano Carchia: Anthony Brown is working out with the Boston Celtics this week, sources tell @Emiliano Carchia. Brown has played 41 games in the NBA for Pelicans, Lakers, Magic and Timberwolves. He spent last season with Boulogne-Levallois averaging 12.1ppg in Jeep Elite and 14.6ppg in EuroCup – via Twitter Carchia
He's been a pretty good shooter in Europe for a few years now (mid-40s on 4-4.5 attempts a game). Very mature age (played at Stanford just 3 seasons after Brook Lopez left) but that's probably the way we'll go with our 2nd two-way

« Reply #1273 on: September 13, 2021, 06:27:40 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
He's been a pretty good shooter in Europe for a few years now (mid-40s on 4-4.5 attempts a game). Very mature age (played at Stanford just 3 seasons after Brook Lopez left) but that's probably the way we'll go with our 2nd two-way

Those shooting stats are really something compared to where he was a few years ago.  Definitely someone worth taking a flyer on.  Decent length for a bigger wing also.  I like him more than Juwan Morgan.

« Reply #1274 on: September 13, 2021, 06:43:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Those shooting stats are really something compared to where he was a few years ago.  Definitely someone worth taking a flyer on.  Decent length for a bigger wing also.  I like him more than Juwan Morgan.
Me too, given the makeup of the rest of our roster I would much rather take a flyer on a guy with a history of elite shooting over Morgan, who has made 7 threes in his pro career