Author Topic: NBA trade rumors/FA signings 2021  (Read 180322 times)

Re: NBA trade rumors/FA signings 2021
« Reply #1215 on: August 30, 2021, 03:20:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I’m sure Lakers will get Jordan
I feel like there are no minutes there for him behind Marc Gasol, Anthony Davis, and Dwight.  If he wants to play no minutes and take a free ride to a title, he could just stay in Brooklyn.

With the Rondo signing official, the Lakers roster is now full with 15 guaranteed contracts, so it doesn't make sense from a roster standpoint in multiple ways.

Hate to say it, but the Lakers roster looks great.  They've got 13 legit rotational players on that team.  Curious how it all meshes, but they're in good shape to weather injuries.

Hmm… I’m not so sure. Huge injury risks and one of oldest teams in history or NBA. Rondo was fairly irrelevant last year. Howard was not very good in Philly. Carmelo, is he someone you want playing playoff rotation minutes? A lot of your over 35 also with a bunch of injury risks.

« Reply #1216 on: August 30, 2021, 03:25:34 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
The Suns are among the contenders who have pursued Spurs forward Thaddeus Young, sources said. San Antonio acquired Young in a sign-and-trade — along with a first-round pick and two second-round picks — and now are expected to receive strong interest in the veteran forward from competitive teams. Young averaged 12.1 points, 6.2 rebounds and 4.3 assists while playing in 68 games (23 starts) and shooting 55.9 percent from the field a season ago.
Would love us to somehow land Thad Young. Don't see a realistic way to make the salaries work though. I guess we could fit him in the Fournier TPE. Hope Wyc is willing to pay the necessary tax, but I'll believe it when I see it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 03:31:38 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #1217 on: August 30, 2021, 03:36:33 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
The Suns are among the contenders who have pursued Spurs forward Thaddeus Young, sources said. San Antonio acquired Young in a sign-and-trade — along with a first-round pick and two second-round picks — and now are expected to receive strong interest in the veteran forward from competitive teams. Young averaged 12.1 points, 6.2 rebounds and 4.3 assists while playing in 68 games (23 starts) and shooting 55.9 percent from the field a season ago.
Would love us to somehow land Thad Young. Don't see a realistic way to make the salaries work though. I guess we can fit him in the Fournier TPE. Hope Wyc is willing to pay the necessary tax, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Presumably San Antonio wants an asset in addition to cap relief, as well.  I don’t see the Celtics being willing to add nearly $40 million to their tax bill and send draft picks for the privilege.  Thad Young is a fine player and would indeed fit well, but San Antonio would have to take some significant salary back.

« Reply #1218 on: August 30, 2021, 04:27:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Crazy how DJ went from a guy KD and Kyrie needed in Brooklyn to being dumped for nothing
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1219 on: August 30, 2021, 09:01:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
There is mutual optimism, league sources told The Denver Post, about a contract extension for Gordon. A new deal could come as early as this week, a source said. – via Mike Singer @ Denver Post

Gordon is eligible for a four-year, $88 million extension. One source projected a deal could be for two or three years at an average annual salary of $20 million to $21 million per year. The 25-year-old forward is entering the final year of his four-year, $80 million deal, which is worth $16.4 million this season. – via Mike Singer @ Denver Post

I’d be surprised if he settles for something around three years, $63 million.  This is one instance where I think he’d do better in free agency.

If he wants immediate security, I’d insist on 4 years, $88 million, with the 4th year a PO.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1220 on: August 30, 2021, 10:45:04 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The Kings officially announced Friday they have signed Len to a free agent contract, finalizing an agreement they reached earlier in the week. Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but the 7-foot center signed a two-year, $7.65 million deal, sources told The Sacramento Bee.

Sacramento has compiled a fair amount of bigs:

Holmes
Thompson
Alex Len
Damien Jones

added to Bagley and Metu.  Plus they have Harrison Barnes who is a swing.

I wonder if all of this could make Bagley more available.  He would fit our TPE so that gives us some flexibility but it is not clear what they might want back for him.
I don't see what others see in Marvin Bagley. Poor outside shooter. Terrible FT shooter. Inefficient scorer. Bad defender. A 1:1.4 assist to turnover ratio. An average to good rebounder(I say average since he is 6'11".

If there's a PF from the Kings that I want in a trade it's Harrison Barnes. He, like Tatum, is the prototypical, new wave, stretch PF that can play good defense, be a decent rebounder but can shoot the ball and is a very efficient scorer.

I want no part of this generation's Sam Bowie
that's an insult to Bowie.  Bowie was actually a pretty good player when he could get on the court.  but staying healthy enough to get on the court was a huge issue for him.

Bagley isn't a tenth of the player Bowie was.
Except this is not true. Bowie was a better passer and defender, Bagley is a much better scorer and a better rebounder.

Bagley is more like Darko

Boy, that seems like a stretch.  I am not trying to be a Bagley fan boy but Darko in 9 NBA seasons (6 teams) is a career 6 pts / 4 rebs with his best season being about 9 pts / 5 rebs in 2010-11 for MIN where he started 69 games and played 24 min.

Bagley in 3 seasons has a career average of 14.5 pts / 7.5 rebs and is only 22 years old (not 23 until March).  I have no idea how Bagley's career will comp out (Jeff Green for example, in his prime, was around 15 pts / 6 Rebs) but he is already done more than Darko ever did.  Bagley had durability issues in 2019-20 but seemed fine other than that.

I have the opposite reaction. I feel Bagley has not done enough to compare to Darko. Darko was a legit starting center in the NBA. He was a well above average defender, an adequate rebounder, an above average passer & a below average but somewhat useful scorer.

Bagley to this point in his career has been a complete liability. His dreadful defense has cost his team more than negatively than any of his positive contributions add. He is a net negative. He does not deserve to start or play anywhere near as many minutes as he gets. He is a net negative. A stat padder.

Darko did not have as gaudy numbers as Bagley but he helped his teams more than Bagley did.

I wish Darko had of played on better teams so he would've been appreciated more. He was not the star Detroit hoped for but he did become a solid starter. Much like Kwame Brown did.

This has yet to be accomplished by Bagley. First step is getting his defense up to a passable level. Then his offensive skills will allow him to be a positive contributor to his team. An additive player.

But that is something he has not yet done.
I feel like you are grossly overrating Darko's two years of slightly less terrible play. Darko had two years of starting (not sure that makes him qualify as a "legit starting centre"), and in those two years he was the same as always - weak rebounder, horribly inefficient, foul-prone and weak passer. I guess he played some good defence at times?

Do you want an useless offensive player with decent defence or a useless defensive player with no offence?
should go back and watch Bowie's games if you can find them.  you'd see Bowie was better at scoring and rebounding.  he wasn't the player Hakeem was but he was pretty solid all around (when he was healthy).  if he could have had a healthy career, there wouldn't be all this criticizing of Portland taking him over Jordan - just like no one argues about taking Hakeem with the first pick.

also, Bagley isn't as good of a scorer as you seem to think he is.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 11:15:21 PM by slamtheking »

« Reply #1221 on: August 30, 2021, 11:19:50 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
I’m sure Lakers will get Jordan
I feel like there are no minutes there for him behind Marc Gasol, Anthony Davis, and Dwight.  If he wants to play no minutes and take a free ride to a title, he could just stay in Brooklyn.

With the Rondo signing official, the Lakers roster is now full with 15 guaranteed contracts, so it doesn't make sense from a roster standpoint in multiple ways.

Hate to say it, but the Lakers roster looks great.  They've got 13 legit rotational players on that team.  Curious how it all meshes, but they're in good shape to weather injuries.

This team would be so dominant in 2011 that they'd be a dynasty team.

But they're still pretty good this coming season esp if their Big 3 are healthy

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #1222 on: August 31, 2021, 09:18:12 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
The Cleveland Cavaliers have agreed to a one-year, non-guaranteed deal with 7-foot-5 center Tacko Fall, agents Bill Duffy and Justin Haynes of
@BDA_Sports
 told @TheAthletic@Stadium. Fall played his first two NBA seasons in Boston.

« Reply #1223 on: August 31, 2021, 09:24:49 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
The Cleveland Cavaliers have agreed to a one-year, non-guaranteed deal with 7-foot-5 center Tacko Fall, agents Bill Duffy and Justin Haynes of
@BDA_Sports
sigh.  :-[
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #1224 on: August 31, 2021, 09:29:51 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
@BDA_Sports
sigh.  :-[

Too bad he couldn't sign with someone who needs a center. I wish Tacko all the best!

« Reply #1225 on: August 31, 2021, 09:34:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
@BDA_Sports
5th string?

« Reply #1226 on: September 02, 2021, 07:04:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Jon Krawczynski: Free agent guards Isaiah Thomas, Lance Stephenson and Monta Ellis worked out for the Dallas Mavericks today, sources tell me and @Shams Charania . Thomas appeared to be in great shape, sources say, as he works toward NBA return.
– via Twitter JonKrawczynski

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1227 on: September 02, 2021, 07:06:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Jon Krawczynski: Free agent guards Isaiah Thomas, Lance Stephenson and Monta Ellis worked out for the Dallas Mavericks today, sources tell me and @Shams Charania . Thomas appeared to be in great shape, sources say, as he works toward NBA return.
Monta going back to Dallas? Two of those three (IT and Monta) had some of the quickest declines I've ever witnessed

« Reply #1228 on: September 02, 2021, 07:20:43 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Looking for the JJ replacement.

« Reply #1229 on: September 02, 2021, 07:31:11 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
@BDA_Sports
5th string?

I think it can convert to a 2-way.