Author Topic: Hayward for Turner Plus Revisited  (Read 3310 times)

Re: Hayward for Turner Plus Revisited
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2021, 05:26:53 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Was it ever confirmed that Hayward would have gone to Indiana in a trade scenario instead of taking the huge contract from Charlotte?

Personally I never felt that Turner was worth the money.

Nowhere that I've seen. It is fun to play the game of trading a FA in Hayward to a team offering the 3rd most money (behind CHA and us), but it really just is a game.

The deal was certainly intriguing - especially if it really did include a 1st - but this season still would have been a disaster with Covid/injuries. And we would now be headed for the repeater tax.

Why? 

Subtract Fournier and Thompson and we can fit Turner and McDermott.  We could have kept Theis over Kornet/Wagner, too.

We definitely could have kept Theis either way. Kornet/Wagner/Parker equal $5M, which is the same as Theis' contract. Danny dumped him for literally no reason.

As for Fournier/Thompson vs. Turner/McDermott, it would have been awfully close. We had to dump Green and Teague for no salary and we wouldn't have used any MLE. We would also be on the hook for more long-term salary. As a duo, I prefer Fournier/Thompson. And, that's good, because:

We never could have traded a FA to a team where he didn't want to sign

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2021, 06:18:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Every story close to the situation suggested that Indiana was his first choice, and that the offer on the table was well in excess of $25 million per season.  Hayward simply didn’t have an avenue to Indiana.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2021, 06:20:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
   I would rather have Fournier and Thompson for roughly $30M than Hayward, or at worst, it is a wash

It’s not a wash. Hayward is way better than those two combined. Unfortunately, him staying in Boston doesn’t seem like it was a serious option.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2021, 06:32:42 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
   I would rather have Fournier and Thompson for roughly $30M than Hayward, or at worst, it is a wash

It’s not a wash. Hayward is way better than those two combined. Unfortunately, him staying in Boston doesn’t seem like it was a serious option.

Factoring  in the fact that he missed the last 25 games of the season, including play-in and (if they had qualified) play-offs, not necessarily.

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2021, 07:51:18 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Every story close to the situation suggested that Indiana was his first choice, and that the offer on the table was well in excess of $25 million per season.  Hayward simply didn’t have an avenue to Indiana.

I think there was an avenue, but wasn't a sure thing as things weren't progressing fast enough, so when the Hornets came with the massive offer he essentially was forced to take it... FA money waits for no one.

But if things progressed quickly enough, then Gordon would've preferred gong to Indy.

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2021, 08:26:35 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Danny traded away Theis for two reasons: 1) Celtics likely can't afford to resign him next season 2) Get under the luxury tax by the skin of our teeth after acquiring Fournier's 17m dollar salary.

Nobody knows how Turner would have turned out but he would have been a much stronger interior presence than Tristan Thompson who in case you forgot sucked balls for many months of the beginning of the season until finally becoming barely serviceable.  Those early months of suckage affected the Celtics playoff seeding which forced us to play the Nets in round 1 and then BOOM - 1st round exit.  DA steps down.

We definitely could have kept Theis either way. Kornet/Wagner/Parker equal $5M, which is the same as Theis' contract. Danny dumped him for literally no reason.

As for Fournier/Thompson vs. Turner/McDermott, it would have been awfully close. We had to dump Green and Teague for no salary and we wouldn't have used any MLE. We would also be on the hook for more long-term salary. As a duo, I prefer Fournier/Thompson. And, that's good, because:

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2021, 08:31:59 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I think there was an avenue, but wasn't a sure thing as things weren't progressing fast enough, so when the Hornets came with the massive offer he essentially was forced to take it... FA money waits for no one.

But if things progressed quickly enough, then Gordon would've preferred gong to Indy.

I know BOS and IND were talking about a deal before FA, but once FA began, Jordan was on the phone with Hayward that night and the deal was essentially made. It's been said a million times, but Hayward's agent would have done a horrible job if he just okayed a deal w/o seeing what else was out there first.

It also can't be said enough - $120M is not the same as $100M - especially for someone as injury-prone as Hayward. And can you imagine if we had signed him to that contract? People are lining up at Kemba's front door with torches and pitchforks, but Hayward essentially had the same statistical season as Kemba.

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2021, 11:54:09 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Wish we had gotten Batum for Hayward. He's been really good this year.  ;D

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2021, 08:37:17 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

I know BOS and IND were talking about a deal before FA, but once FA began, Jordan was on the phone with Hayward that night and the deal was essentially made. It's been said a million times, but Hayward's agent would have done a horrible job if he just okayed a deal w/o seeing what else was out there first.

It also can't be said enough - $120M is not the same as $100M - especially for someone as injury-prone as Hayward. And can you imagine if we had signed him to that contract? People are lining up at Kemba's front door with torches and pitchforks, but Hayward essentially had the same statistical season as Kemba.

The same statistical season?

Walker     19.3/4.0/4.9     .420/.360/.899
Hayward  19.6/5.9/4.1     .473/.415/.843

First off that's just not true, and second, this isn't a fantasy league. One is a highly efficient player, and the other maybe shouldn't shoot so much.

Hayward compliments other players. Walker needs other players to compliment him. Hayward is far more valuable.

Hayward has had injuries at key moments, but those injuries haven't closed any windows. He's not dealing with a chronic decline. You have to take a chance with your best option at some point and rolling with 3 big two way wings who could do it all was it for this franchise. Dallas isn't going to trade Luka Doncic to us for Jaylen Brown. We have to win the old fashioned way or not at all.