Author Topic: European Superleague  (Read 17564 times)

Re: European Superleague
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2021, 04:59:11 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I love this idea. Absolutely love it. If I was running one of these 'big' clubs I'd also pull out of the domestic leagues as well.

I have zero interest in watching my beloved Rossoneri play freakin' Sampdoria, Crotone, ect or some other podunk team from cowtown. Nobody wants to watch the Boston Celtics play the Maine Red Claws, it's the same darn thing.

No, it's absolutely not the same thing. Anyone who thinks it is doesn't understand soccer. I'm not even going to start to explain why it's the polar opposite because frankly it would take too long. To be honest "some other podunk team from cowtown" sounds like a troll looking for a reaction anyway. All I'll say is, if you can't get up for watching Milan against another team in Serie A, you don't love them nearly as much as you think you do.

Honestly, you don't have the slightest clue what you are talking about.

But that's okay I don't need you to agree with me. I'm just simply stating my opinion and moving it along. How you feel about that is neither here nor there.

If the these big clubs want this to happen it will, no matter how much some want to complain.

Well La Domenica Sportiva (you can understand Italian, can't you, being such a big rossonero  ::)), La Gazzetta dello Sport, il Corriere dello Sport, Tuttosport, umpteen fan forums including all the principle ones agree with my standpoint but yeah, I know nothing. 🤦

And it's neither here nor there when all those people agree with me? OK.  ;D

Fanboys who have literally no understanding of their club's history and pluck a team out of a hat because they expect it to win trophies, never go to the stadia and watch from another continent on TV with a fake shirt and scarf are really where it's at!!! 🤦

Your blind waffle about it happening if the clubs want it to happen... you do know it's been attempted before and failed, don't you? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

This is the problem with trying to get soccer into new markets in places where the market knows the price of everything and the value of nothing lol. ::)

Tone it down bigtime.

Listen kidder, if allowing "podunk team from cowtown" to pass uncommented but to come down the big man on what I said which was about as far removed from offensive as it's possible to go is your idea of moderation, I've a feeling there's more than a hint of the Trumpian about this forum and that it's a pretty toxic place for it.

Cowtown? You know people come from these places, right? That's grotesquely offensive in all honesty. If you said it about a country, it would be viewed as racist. So racism is supported on this forum but criticising somebody for it and standing up to them isn't. Interesting!

Amazingly they have stuff in them built longer ago than a week last Wednesday too for what it's worth.

And that it's pretty much what New Yorkers say about Boston and undoubtedly would receive a negative reaction were they to say it here is more than a little hypocritical.

But viva la cricca and all that!

Oh and before you tell me to report comments like the one above, I'm not paid to work for this forum and I'm not a grass either.

Sheesh.  The nerve of me trying to enforce basic rules like being civil to each other and watching your tone.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2021, 05:25:41 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
I love this idea. Absolutely love it. If I was running one of these 'big' clubs I'd also pull out of the domestic leagues as well.

I have zero interest in watching my beloved Rossoneri play freakin' Sampdoria, Crotone, ect or some other podunk team from cowtown. Nobody wants to watch the Boston Celtics play the Maine Red Claws, it's the same darn thing.

I guess here in the US we're much more used to closed competitions where the number of teams is fixed irrespective of the results. The NBA will always have 30 teams, they will always play each other. Teams don't get promoted or relegated based on performance. All of the teams in the tournament have the chance to go to the playoffs, we don't have spots reserved for the big market teams.

We also don't really have a Champions League as such, though I guess the closest comparison would be the NCAA basketball tournament where teams are drawn from all conferences across the country based on their performances in their conferences. I guess it would be as if Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, Indiana, Louisville, Michigan, Georgetown, and a bunch of other "elite" programs decided to set up their own "Super Conference" and play each other regularly, so that they didn't have to take the risk of missing out on March Madness. They would have some kind of qualifying process to get 5 ring ins a year to make up the numbers, save their best players for that competition, and not take normal conference play seriously because there's no incentive to do so, and either not participate in the NCAA tournament at all, or not qualify because they weren't taking it seriously.

I guess the broadcasters might not like it that much, and neither would other teams like Gonzaga, Baylor, or Villanova, that might be as good as or better than some of those bluebloods, but don't have the cachet or the brand name. And the thrill of seeing a No15 seed Oral Roberts upset a No2 seed Ohio State this year, or  No10 Davidson with Steph Curry beating No2 Georgetown in 2010, or or No8 Villanova beating No1 Georgetown in 1985, would be gone.

That's probably the closest analogy to US sports I can think of.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2021, 06:23:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If this happens it'll be a genuine disgrace. Will no longer support Liverpool
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2021, 07:59:55 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

I guess here in the US we're much more used to closed competitions where the number of teams is fixed irrespective of the results. The NBA will always have 30 teams, they will always play each other. Teams don't get promoted or relegated based on performance. All of the teams in the tournament have the chance to go to the playoffs, we don't have spots reserved for the big market teams.

We also don't really have a Champions League as such, though I guess the closest comparison would be the NCAA basketball tournament where teams are drawn from all conferences across the country based on their performances in their conferences. I guess it would be as if Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, Indiana, Louisville, Michigan, Georgetown, and a bunch of other "elite" programs decided to set up their own "Super Conference" and play each other regularly, so that they didn't have to take the risk of missing out on March Madness. They would have some kind of qualifying process to get 5 ring ins a year to make up the numbers, save their best players for that competition, and not take normal conference play seriously because there's no incentive to do so, and either not participate in the NCAA tournament at all, or not qualify because they weren't taking it seriously.

I guess the broadcasters might not like it that much, and neither would other teams like Gonzaga, Baylor, or Villanova, that might be as good as or better than some of those bluebloods, but don't have the cachet or the brand name. And the thrill of seeing a No15 seed Oral Roberts upset a No2 seed Ohio State this year, or  No10 Davidson with Steph Curry beating No2 Georgetown in 2010, or or No8 Villanova beating No1 Georgetown in 1985, would be gone.

Trying to explain to my American friends, that was the best analogy I could think of as well.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2021, 08:58:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Of note, all of the teams will still compete in their national leagues.  This is basically destroying the Champions League, not the the National Leagues.
This is quite literally the problem with this idea. It literally screws the rest of Europe.
eh, doesn't seem a whole lot different than the Champions League.  Not as big as it will only have 20 teams, but all 20 of those teams are basically in the Champions League anyway (or at least could be based on talent).
Domestic results matter in order to qualify for those events. Basically, there’s like 10 rich teams who will always be in this tournament no matter what and just get boatloads of money regardless if they actually merit to be in such a tournament.
well yeah, but those 10 rich teams would be in the tournament anyway if there were no limitations and restrictions.  I think that is what this is really about.  I get why EUFA includes every league, but that is what happens when you limit participation and require teams that wouldn't qualify via merit to get in.  The guys that get left out (i.e. some of the English clubs) throw a tizzy and create their own super league with their other very rich friends so that they can all make more money.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2021, 09:03:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Trying to explain to my American friends, that was the best analogy I could think of as well.
college football is a much better example of how this could happen in the U.S.  I mean every couple of years there is talk of the Power 5 breaking away from the NCAA and forming their own football league.  And frankly college football is also the closest thing to European soccer with the rich vs. non-rich teams.  Obviously not quite the same thing, but there is a reason that the college football playoffs have been around for 7 years and this is the team invitation breakdown

6 - Alabama, Clemson
4 - Ohio State, Oklahoma
2 - Notre Dame
1 - LSU, Oregon, Georgia, FSU, Mich St, Washington

Pretty much a whose who of college football with only a few odd balls and lots of repetition at the top.  That is what this league seems like.  You know if Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Georgia, LSU, Texas, Florida, Southern Cal, Michigan, and a few others just created their own league and then rotated some others in like Oregon (when they were good) or Va Tech or Penn St or Nebraska, etc..
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 09:17:32 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2021, 04:50:56 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
Yeah this is horrific. The College hoops comparison posted above is spot on.

Even though this doesn't translate that well to the big US sports, Relegation and Promotion are essential to football. Full stop. This is like central tenet level stuff.

I live a stone's throw from Arsenal, although they're not my club (football agnostic here). You can count the local supporters of this plan on one fist. Am I shocked that Stan Kroenke is involved? Not really. He's from the proud tradition of team owners that really just want the team to exist as a way to print money forever.

However, I have read some speculation that this is nothing but a gambit to get better terms from the upcoming Champions League overhaul, but I have no idea how close this is to the truth.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2021, 06:46:51 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I'm against this idea as I don't think it is beneficial for football and its native, core fans.
The way I see it this is an idea to solve some club's financial problems. Mainly the Spanish ones Barca and Real.
IMO these clubs will always be in debt as it is the way they do business, not as if they have poor income (except during Covid times which will pass).

It is very hard for Americans to understand the emotional connection fans have toward their football clubs.
For example, Dinamo Zagreb was a symbol of oppressed Croatia within Yugoslavia (1945-1990) and as far as I know, there is no remotely similar example in the states. Imagine a club carrying states national identity for just about all continental Croats.

Liverpool, Barca, and others have specific theirs special connections.
If we take out this emotional element from the sports and teams we love, I predict that a lot of fans will just go play video games.
No need to waste time on the ones who just treat you like an ATM.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2021, 04:48:19 PM »

Online chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 208
The European Super League may be falling apart already. It sounds like Man City and Chelsea have backed out and Barca had a clause in their agreement that their participation was conditional on the other La Liga teams voting in favor of the ESL.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2021, 06:53:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The European Super League may be falling apart already. It sounds like Man City and Chelsea have backed out and Barca had a clause in their agreement that their participation was conditional on the other La Liga teams voting in favor of the ESL.
Unsurprising really. The amount of backlash over this was like nothing I'd seen
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2021, 12:13:00 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
Well that was Super Quick  :angel:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 01:16:42 AM by ozgod »

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2021, 08:52:15 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
And rightly so.

For anyone who isn't particularly invested in football, I thought James Corden did a great job capturing the overall sentiment (roughly 6 minutes of video):
https://twitter.com/latelateshow/status/1384332852230193154
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2021, 09:21:00 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I now hope all these teams get punished by their respective leagues somehow. Give them a -30 pts so they can’t even get to UCL!

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2021, 05:51:06 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
Florentino Perez, president of Real Madrid and one of the main drivers of the Super League, says that clubs just can't leave, because they signed binding contracts. He says the Super League will still move forward.

The Real Madrid president, Florentino Pérez, said the 12 clubs announced last week as founders of the European Super League cannot abandon it due to binding contracts and promised the project would return soon.

Pérez, whose club is one of three along with Barcelona and Juventus yet to withdraw, said it was not so simple for clubs to leave. “I don’t need to explain what a binding contract is but effectively, the clubs cannot leave,” Pérez told Spanish newspaper AS. “Some of them, due to pressure, have said they’re leaving. But this project, or one very similar, will move forward and I hope very soon.”

On Saturday, Manchester United fans staged protests outside Old Trafford, demanding the Glazer family cease ownership of the club after their part in the Super League project. Joel Glazer wrote an open letter of apology to fans and is also reported to have apologised to the club’s players.

JP Morgan, who had provided a €3.5bn grant to the founding clubs, said on Friday it had “misjudged how the deal would be viewed”. Pérez, however, said the bank was still on board: “It’s not true they’ve withdrawn. They have taken some time for reflection, just like the 12 clubs. If we need to make changes we will but the Super League is the best project we’ve thought of.

“The partnership still exists as do the members who comprise the Super League. What we have done is taken a few weeks to reflect in light of the fury of certain people who don’t want to lose their privileges and have manipulated the project.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/24/perez-says-super-league-clubs-cannot-leave-as-manchester-united-fans-protest

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2021, 06:44:30 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I just see the hands of American owners all over this. They will destroy soccer if care is not taken.